logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Thread Like Summary
VirusKiller
Total Likes: 1
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Doobie
Doobie
Hi all,

I have just taken receipt of an 861v6 with the v8 firmware earlier today. Excited to hook it up.

But I am having no luck getting MConfig to recognise my 861v6 is "connected".

I have just come from an 861v4 (with v8 firmware), and did not experience any of the problems I am experiencing below.

Can anyone please help me? I am at my wit's end frown

I have 2 computers and neither of them recognise the 861v6 as connected (to the MConfig software).

MConfig just says "no product detected" - no matter what I do.

I'm at a heartbreaking loss frown

I have used two different USB to RS232 cables (a 'Comsol' with FDTI chipset, and the other a generic cable with Prolific chipset ; I have read all historical posts here saying the latter can be "pedantic") - I have connected each to either:

- A Windows XP PC or:
- My newer Dell Windows 10 PC.

No matter what I do, with either cable, MConfig will not detect my 861v6 on either computer. When I select "identify" in MConfig every time it just says "No product connected to COMx can be identified".

I even tried to connect to the Meridian Keyboard (software) ie, bypass MConfig and, although it says "connected", this seems to be a red herring as the 861v6 does not respond to any commands at all through this (volume up, down, nothing) - therefore, I believe my V6 is not connected at all. (Perhaps it IS connected to the COM port but, not the 861 - how can this be ..?)

My cabling has not changed from when I owned my 861v4 - this connected perfectly on Windows XP using the Prolific-chipset USB TO RS232 cable.

Not this 861v6, though.

I have also mapped the COM port in MConfig to the converter's COM port as displayed on my PC.

The ONLY thing I can think I haven't done, vs. what others on here have done, is buy the Startech or
Keyspan adaptor (FDTI?). But, I've tried the Comsol one above and although not the same brand this appears to be confirmed as FDTI in my driver software.

If the Startech/Keyspans are the only ones guaranteed to work then I'll track them down but, I just have a feeling given no matter what I do, the 861v6 is sending "no" signal to Mconfig, I wonder if cabling is in fact not my problem.

I don't know what else to do.. frown

Can anyone help a fellow out ?

Thankyou so much !

Andrew
Liked Replies
by Doobie
Doobie
All,

Turns out I had a bad RS232 cable. By process of elimination worked my way back through the extension cable (fine) then USB to RS232 cable (fine) then :

Replaced the RS232 cable in the back of the unit and, bingo! Unit detected.

Just had to install a new version of Mconfig exe, and I am now up and away.

Whew 🤣. Was feeling pretty worried there..

Andrew
1 member likes this
Who's Online Now
2 members (Colin Triggs, TKimages), 184 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,181
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.234s Queries: 10 (0.222s) Memory: 0.7226 MB (Peak: 2.2160 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-07 16:15:38 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS