logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Thread Like Summary
Jeremy A-H
Total Likes: 1
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Mike_500
Mike_500
On my thread about speaker position spinaltap said
Quote
The biggest improvement to my A500’s was first adding a Meridian 555 to my 551
Spookily 1. I had that day re-read the A500 manual which mentioned exactly that config and 2. oh look, there was one on eBay. Checked with the boss, (OK'ed), so it arrived today. Yay!

[Linked Image]

Fired it up and all is well.

The guy I bought it from (in Ireland) says he bought it - and has bought other stuff - from "a guy in Doncaster". Anyone we know? The serial no is 555 100030 so I guess quite early. Any info about the unit's history would be welcome.

It's now in the tender care of Parcelforce on its way for a service/recap (along with my 504 FM Tuner). When I get it back, the 551 will go off for similar.

BTW I see he also has a pair of 505 monoblocks and a 501 pre-amp on Ebay. He also told me he has a 508 and other stuff as well. I have no connection with him other than a happy purchaser.

So my list from the other thread is now:
  • order Herbie's Gliders to make position tweak easier - done
  • tweak speaker position as recommended - back to that when the new rack/gliders/serviced stuff is back and re-assembled
  • order some Kontak cleaner (haven't cleaned the contacts before and this seems to be recommended) - post elsewhere said don't bother, just unplug/replug and that's going to happen anyway
  • look for bigger equipment rack - ongoing
  • change bi-wired speaker connects to bi-amped - fake-brand spades arrived and thanks to Black Rhodium for advice on conversion of my Speakerlink AST75s
  • RTFM - always and several times smile
  • check connect leads needed for 551 <> 555 comms - none needed
  • consider servicing 555 before installation - on way for a service recap along with my 504 FM Tuner
  • to be followed by my 551 when the 555/504 comes back
  • all leading to enjoy the sound - that's the plan, watch this space smile
  • thank the boss - done
  • oh, and PS, will now have to get the Linn upgraded. - Arranged via Audio T in Portsmouth.
  • do all these things one-at-a-time with A/B listening tests (of course I won't - just bung 'em in and convince myself of the major upgrade )

Ah, the delights of keeping a retro analogue system going. And I must stop reading this forum, it costs me money haha smile (but my ears love it).
Liked Replies
by Mike_500
Mike_500
The lockdown has meant that the last few bits of my system ugrade are a bit stalled. I need the Stands Unique back from the workshop to have space for the media server / Director and then insert the new cables and a few other tweaks.

That said, I still can't believe how good it sounds now after the new 555, full recap/service from Mr Tech Guy and the (sssh) ugrade / service to the Linn LP12. I find myself stopping and actually listening to the music. Bits of which I have never heard before. Last night it was Oscar Peterson (Night Train). Right now it's Help (I started through the entire Beatles catalogue a few days ago).

There's a whole new musicality and transparency letting me hear sublety and things in the mix new to me. Such fun smile There's many a good tune played on an old fiddle, as they say. Not bad for an analogue / passive system from the 80s / 90s (yes, OK the CD is digital as is the media server but you get what I mean) smile
1 member likes this
Who's Online Now
2 members (GMT, Colin Triggs), 257 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,182
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.162s Queries: 10 (0.149s) Memory: 0.7265 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-08 06:51:15 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS