logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 266
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 266
I just finally upgraded from my old Pana PW6 to a 50" 1080p panel and am trying to set the G91 to output 1080p on component - I've set all the settings but the screen is only receiving a 576i signal.

Can anyone help?

Daniel


Rega P8, Rega Apheta 3, Gold Note PH-10 and PSU-10, Meridian G68ADV, Meridian 218, Moon 340i X, Dynaudio Special Forty, REL T7/x
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 250
Likes: 4
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 250
Likes: 4
Can you output high definition from any devices over component?


Main system: 818v3, 861v6, HD621, Oppo 103D, DSP8000PP, DSP7200SE HC, DSP3200, SGR Sub
Family room: HD621, 861v6, DSP5200 L/C/R
Headphones: Schiit Mjolnir v1, Sennheiser HD800; (office) iFi iDSDPro, Focal Elegia
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Component is sd only unless you have bypass on in which case it will pass through what you input.

It was illegal in terms of the DVD forum license rules to output HD via component which is why the unit works this way.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Yes, I agree with Ian. The best over component is 480/576i.

I was misled by the description of the G98 when I bought mine in that I thought I could ditch my external scaler.

1080p is omly available over HDMI.


Malcolm
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 266
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 266
Thanks guys and apologies for the delay in replying. I suspected that my G91 was only outputting higher than 576p if I used HDMI.

Strangely though when I do use HDMI the screen goes completely blank when I play a DVD with the scaler set to output any more than 576p so it doesn't seem to work over HDMI either! The screen does say that it's receiving a 1080p signal but then it goes black, same for 720p.

I got an HDCP error2 when I plugged in the G91 (on the front display of the G91) and then the error stopped happening. I've since given up on trying to use the G91 over HDMI as it doesn't appear to work very well.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?


Rega P8, Rega Apheta 3, Gold Note PH-10 and PSU-10, Meridian G68ADV, Meridian 218, Moon 340i X, Dynaudio Special Forty, REL T7/x
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Does the Panasonic support HDCP? I did a quick google scan and it seems inconclusive.

Sounds like you have hdcp handscaking issues. Could be any number of issues from cable issues, hdcp incompatibility or the display not supporting hdcp.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 266
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 266
It's a brand new Panasonic TX-P50S10 so I would expect it to support HDCP. Bluray discs played from my PS3 via HDMI are working perfectly...

I am using an identical cable from my PS3 as I am from the G91.

Is the G91 a bit flaky with HDMI output?

Does the picture from DVD look significantly better when upscaled to 1080p in the G91? ie. Am I missing out by using component and 576p (DeInt setting).

Finally if I connect the G91 via HDMI does it pass the component input out via HDMI or would I also need to connect it via component to get the bypass?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Last edited by dhansak79; 2009-08-26 08:18.

Rega P8, Rega Apheta 3, Gold Note PH-10 and PSU-10, Meridian G68ADV, Meridian 218, Moon 340i X, Dynaudio Special Forty, REL T7/x
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Yes, I think the G9X machines are not so great at HDMI handshake etc.

Speaking without having seen the Panasonic display, I would guess that the best option would be to output 576p (shame you have to let the G9X products do the de-interlacing) via HDMI and let your TV do the scaling as it has a much more recent design scaler built in.

The G9X has simultaneous output from component, HDMI, S-video and composite when playing discs but I am not sure if external component input is converted to HDMI. It certainly does component in to S-video out.


Malcolm
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Originally Posted by dhansak79
It's a brand new Panasonic TX-P50S10 so I would expect it to support HDCP.
Sorry to mislead. Only caught the mention of the PW6 without realising it was the outgoing model. But my comments on hdcp handshaking still stand. I had HDCP problems with my previous G98 - turned out the be the cable (specifically the plug) design.

As for component to HDMI, IIRC it will transcode SD on to the HDMI out, but it will not do so with progressive or HD - in which case you need to use the bypass setting for the component input and it will only appear on the component out - in other words its HD component switching.

In the end, I ran component into my TV not HDMI - without having any HDMI switching it was more convenient as the TV only took one (component) input for all inputs and the picture was still very good letting the TV do the scaling - I could not see the difference from my normal watching position and it was purely subjective from close up.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 266
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 266
Thanks guys. I'll stick with the way I have it set up then with component.

I think I can choose not to DeInterlace in the G91. Malcolm, are you saying it would be better to just send the straight 576i to my screen from the G91 and let the screen do the rest?

Thanks for help everyone, roll on a Meridian Bluray solution so that I can get rid of the G91 and get something more up to date and suitable for today's needs!



Rega P8, Rega Apheta 3, Gold Note PH-10 and PSU-10, Meridian G68ADV, Meridian 218, Moon 340i X, Dynaudio Special Forty, REL T7/x
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 39
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 39
Don't know if this is any comfort/help Daniel but I run my G91 thus;

Component out to TV (37in LG LCD max res 1366 X 720 I think) and HDMI out to my projector (JVC HD350). I've set the component out to scaled and the HDMI out to 1080p and get great images from both.

I did have a 'slight' issue when I first connected the HDMI cable in that I got no picture at all and the projector wasn't showing any input from anything. This turned out to be a directional HDMI cable so I had to crawl around my attic (again) reroute the cable through the built in media centre and bingo! Oh how I laughed...........


G91A, DSP5200, AC Ryan media streamer
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 338
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 338
If your G91 is an early serial number you should give a call to M tech support, If my understanding is correct late models don't have as many issues as early ones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (ChrisSwain), 183 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,180
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.065s Queries: 40 (0.037s) Memory: 0.8832 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-07 14:21:12 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS