Originally Posted by gautam27
Simon, I use my Meridian G98 transport primarily for DVDA and 7.1 multichannel playback (concerts, movies etc.) I was wondering if you can comment on the Oppo BDP83 vs. Meridian 800 comparison specifically for DVDA and 7.1 music.

Also, the Oppo can play back the new Bluray 24 bit lossless audio formats like TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Do these sound any better on your system than the traditional DVD 16 bit compressed audio formats?

Thanks very much for your review. Much appreciated!

A fellow Connecticun!

Sound quality via Bluray lossless formats through my modified Oppo BDP-83 are much better than the same titles via DVD from my Oppo 980. Easily heard!

I still have to try DVD-A on the BDP-83, but I'll do that shortly and report back on comparisons to 800. Not sure what you mean by 7.1 music as all Meridian players can output 5.1 max.


My Kit: 861v8+ID41, 800v4, UHD722, MD600, MS600, MS200, Oppo BDP-203, Genesis 201, Genesis 350 SE, Genesis S4-8 Sub, BG 520i, VTL MB450 II, Krell Showcase 7, Genesis 928 Subs, Danley DTS10 sub, SVS Ultra 16 subs.