|
|
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
|
|
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88 |
I'd love to be wrong on this one; but I don't think I am. So, apodizing filters aside, 800D/800DAX (note the lack of v4 in the names of these products) is probably the end of the line for the 800. I can hardly seem M releasing improved deinterlacing and scaling to get the 800 to state-of-the-art (even though M won't admit that it's not) and charging a major upgrade for it (because that would admit that the 800's video is *not* state-of-the-art).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
Great Green Arkleseizure
|
|
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606 |
Juno:
Look inside the 800 and tell me what can stay.
MPEG-2 decoder? Sure, but you also need one that handles H.264 and VC-1. All of the High-Def capable decoders contain MPEG-2 decoders. No need for redundancy here.
Video processing? What works for 480i doesn't necessarily work for 1080. That probably has to be replaced.
Audio codecs? DD and DTS are bare minimum support. Beyond that there's TrueHD, DTS-HD and DTS-HD Master Audio. So the audio processing has to be redone, with more decoding horsepower.
Software? BD-J and new navigators for Blu-ray have to be created.
Encryption? Need to add AACS and BD+.
Many of these are available "off the shelf" for blu-ray. Meridian didn't use off the shelf for a large portion of the 800 spinner.
So what's left from the original chassis? Power supply and HDMI outputs are about it.
At which point, the "cost effective" portion becomes moot. I'm not saying it can't be done but I am saying I don't see the value in it.
Surround Music Fan/Computer Geek/Curmudgeon in training. --- 861v4, HD621, Panasonic BD-P55K, Toshiba HD-A35, Oppo HD990, Dish Network 622, Pioneer DV-668AV-S w/ DVD Upgrades mod, EW Fontaine II (x5), Velodyne DD-15 (x2), Seymour AV Ice blocks (x7)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 16 Likes: 1
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 16 Likes: 1 |
The 810 video processor can accept SD and HD resolutions up to 1080p60 according the basic spec sheet you can easily get straight from the Meridian website. The chipset they are using is something I haven't heard of before, but when I checked out their website a couple of weeks ago I must admit I was very impressed. The 810 scaler uses FOUR Qdeo chipsets for deinterlacing and scaling the image in effectively four quadrants which is put back together by a fifth scaling chip inside the projector itself (hence the 4 DVI connection). The specs on the Qdeo seem to cover more than just the basics: - Advanced per-pixel, motion-adaptive, edge-adaptive 3D de-interlacing for HD and SD video, with support for arbitrary film cadences - advanced per-pixel, motion-adaptive, spatio-temporal noise reduction for HD and SD video - Content-adaptive block and mosquito noise reduction for HD and SD video plus a bunch of other gubbins. Short story long, from the day I spent with the 810 system a couple of weeks back I am VERY impressed. You could feed 1080p from an external video processor into the 810 scaler which would in turn scale to 2400p and apply any enhancements you wanted to use, but I'm not that sure it's going to be necessary. From what I saw from SD and HD sources there was no deinterlacing artefacts getting in the way (admittedly all film material) and the scaling was mostly excellent, certainly no painful edge enhancement or obvious softening of the image whatsover. I did spot some scaling artefacts in very high resolution detail, but the unit had literally that morning been installed with a beta firmware which had brought about a couple of other problems so I give it the benefit of the doubt for the moment. I will certainly want to see this projector again (and the scaler). If any Meridian heads are reading this - get yourself a decent 2.35 system in that theatre ASAP so I can see it in all it's glory! Website for the processor chip I have been reading from: http://www.clearlyqdeo.com/http://www.marvell.com/products/digitalentertainment/qdeo.jspThey seem to supply quite a few brands such as Pioneer and Sharp, but I guess so do Gennum and HQV the implementations of which vary wildly according to quality of integration. Interesting that Home Theater Secrets gave them an award for best video processing solution last year....
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
|
|
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88 |
Hi Liam,
Welcome to our Universe...
Joel
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 16 Likes: 1
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 16 Likes: 1 |
Cheers Joel! It's been a long time coming but glad I'm on board. And seems a time when things might just get interesting.... Looking forward to getting myself up to Mostly Harmless!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467 Likes: 1 |
So, apodizing filters aside, 800D/800DAX (note the lack of v4 in the names of these products) is probably the end of the line for the 800.
I can hardly seem M releasing improved deinterlacing and scaling to get the 800 to state-of-the-art (even though M won't admit that it's not) and charging a major upgrade for it (because that would admit that the 800's video is *not* state-of-the-art). I think it's time to admit that 800 is a fabulous CD/DVD-A spinner, but that's it. DVD is best done elsewhere - shoot, cannot even get 480i native out of the 800 to be able to use it as a transport for my VP! It would be interesting to see a G series Bluray player, but for me personally it would need to also do DVD native at 480i and SACD via HDMI (and M 'aint never gonna do the latter).
My Kit: 861v8+ID41, 800v4, UHD722, MD600, MS600, MS200, Oppo BDP-203, Genesis 201, Genesis 350 SE, Genesis S4-8 Sub, BG 520i, VTL MB450 II, Krell Showcase 7, Genesis 928 Subs, Danley DTS10 sub, SVS Ultra 16 subs.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
|
|
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88 |
shoot, cannot even get 480i native out of the 800 to be able to use it as a transport for my VP! Meridian lost a G98 sale to me for the same reason. As it happens, for the same price, I got an Oppo 980 and Radiance VP, a far superior solution (IMO) and far more cost effective as the Radiance brings substantial benefits to all of my video sources. And I now have lossless digital DVD-A and SACD with my CLUX HDMI solution. it would need to also do <snip> SACD via HDMI (and M 'aint never gonna do the latter). It's unlikely, isn't it, and a real shame. I do wonder though whether or not SACD will be replaced by audio-only Blu-Ray discs because of the need to have an active display with Blu-Ray menus (DVD-A suffers in this regard in a lot of players). What's the SACD catalog growth these days? And whilst we know that 1-bit DSD is not a perfect technology and that M had all its eggs in the DVD-A basket, we also know that M would do a fantastic job with DSD-to-PCM conversion. An icing-on-the-cake addition to the M HDMI box... [/dreaming]
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 71
Meridian Partner Mostly harmless
|
|
Meridian Partner Mostly harmless
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 71 |
Juno:
Look inside the 800 and tell me what can stay. ... Software? BD-J ... You're certainly right John, but if any compromise must be made to save parts or space I could live for sure with a M BDP even if it is profile 1.0 or 1.1 only, aka without "minus" view. ; ) What I care about is first stellar audio and second according to Liam's contribution suggests "top" video processing If I correctly read him accross the lines. Cheers j
Epectaz Mas de l’Issart (sur RV) (Saint Félix de Pallières) Pallières 30140
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467 Likes: 1 |
I do wonder though whether or not SACD will be replaced by audio-only Blu-Ray discs because of the need to have an active display with Blu-Ray menus (DVD-A suffers in this regard in a lot of players). What's the SACD catalog growth these days? I agree in general with your sentiments, although it is possible to build a pretty nice SACD collection (and I'm not even talking classical) with some perseverence and $$. Recently added the Dead Can Dance and Genesis back catalogs. Nice!
My Kit: 861v8+ID41, 800v4, UHD722, MD600, MS600, MS200, Oppo BDP-203, Genesis 201, Genesis 350 SE, Genesis S4-8 Sub, BG 520i, VTL MB450 II, Krell Showcase 7, Genesis 928 Subs, Danley DTS10 sub, SVS Ultra 16 subs.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 409 Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 409 Likes: 1 |
New Denon Bluray unit announced here in Japan today: http://denon.jp/company/release/dvda1ud.htmlPlays all formats incl DVD-A and SACD. USD 6000.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 202
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 202 |
noticed the 2 HDMI outs , marked up one for video and one for audio . why seperated i thought audio was sort of piggybacked into the video ??
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 52
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 52 |
Presumably to allow you to take the audio to a processor and the video to a screen, without the need for a switch box?
861v8, 2 x 5200SE 5200SEHC, UHD722, Oppo 203EU, Panasonic UB820, PS3.
|
|
|
|
1 members (Grole),
357
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,179
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|