Originally Posted by VirusKiller
The crux is the quality of the decoding. Meridian would have us believe that its own proprietry decoding of DD and DTS is superior than non-Meridian solutions. Assuming the stock solutions don't have errors such as bit truncation in non-trivial DSP operations, I'm not sure why the Meridian solution is "better".

The codecs are supposed to be deterministic and the outputs should be identical.

Once again, we're back to Meridian's ability to "do the right thing" with respect to clocking and jitter reduction coming out of the decode.


Quote
Certainly, I have always been impressed with the detail and ambiance that Meridian's decoding is able to extract, but without a 598 or G98 and a 3x S/PDIF modified player, I can't perform comparisons. Special sauce anyone?

I don't think so. They've said that MHR actually improves sound quality by randomizing the signal. Since M isn't really into the whole "voodoo" style high-end I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that the additional reclocking necessary at each end keeps lowering jitter spectrum.

Quote
With hindsight, this would have been a great question for Bob at CEDIA.
Originally Posted by Frank
Would it be possible to DVD-> digital input of 568-> multi-channel digital input of -> G68? If so, given the used price of 568s, it would be less expensive lipstick.
Frank, I have been considering source -> 568 -> G68 for some time. Current prices make this extremely viable. My investigations into the Cinema/Discrete/-10dB are driven by this idea. I would use such a 568 (or even a 561) for DVD and for satellite.

It might be viable, but you'd need to set the 568 for non-MHR digital output.

Originally Posted by John Kotches
If the source has HDMI audio output passing DD or DTS, why not just use one cable?
Because, the decoding in the source + upsampling *may* be inferior to decoding in the G68 and no upsampling. [/quote]

Who said anything about decoding in the source? I was talking about the external audio processor that everyone keeps saying M will release.



Surround Music Fan/Computer Geek/Curmudgeon in training.
---
861v4, HD621, Panasonic BD-P55K, Toshiba HD-A35, Oppo HD990, Dish Network 622, Pioneer DV-668AV-S w/ DVD Upgrades mod, EW Fontaine II (x5), Velodyne DD-15 (x2), Seymour AV Ice blocks (x7)