logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
I almost made this the Meridian Geek 2008 thread because I don't think many people would get the answer, but I didn't... It's a weird one though.

Basically, I have a G68 with 5x DSP33 and a completely kosher 511-based comms set-up (1 master + 5 slaves). On several occasions, one of the 33s would go completely wacko on a non-reproducible basis: Think listening to a 56k modem at high volume. eek

So I sent the speaker off to M who played with it, soak tested it, and could find nothing wrong with it. frown

Plugging it back in, it's going wacko on SkyHD, but only on SD channels. [censored]???? Swapping cables makes no difference. Swapping speaker positions makes no difference. Flipping the L/R channel switch makes no difference. This essentially rules out my G68.

So I investigate further. Amazingly, Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 from SkyHD are fine, but stereo PCM triggers the problem *every time*. I now try a CD - stereo PCM - and it is fine! [censored]????

Have you got it yet?

I'm now completely mystified and am wondering if there's something wrong with the comms receiver in the speaker. Could the fault be triggering on one particular source (of the twelve)? So I plug the SkyHD optical into the input usually used by my PS3 and the fault rears its ugly head again. I guess I was clutching at straws...

So now I'm thinking: What is different about DD, SkyHD PCM and CD PCM? And it hits me!

- DD is decoded in the G68, but is not upsampled: 48kHz is output to the speakers.

- CD PCM is upsampled by the G68 and 88.2kHz is output to the speakers.

- SkyHD PCM is upsampled by the G68 and 96kHz is output to the speakers.

My conclusion: My dodgy speaker barfs on 96kHz signals. mad Whether or not this is MHR related or not is incidental; when I turn off upsampling in the G68, SkyHD PCM is fine...

So now I have to see how much "new M" is going to charge me to fix it...


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
I had a similar problem once and it turned out to be the CABLE. The cable could do 48k but it could not do 96k. But it sounds like you rules that out.

Good detective work (maybe they will give you a break for debugging it).


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Thanks George. I will try one more cable swap before I return it to Mother, but I suspect there's a bad joint on one of the boards that can't handle the highest frequency input.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Have you tried a 2-Ch DTS Disc or even a DVD / Bluray Output from your PS3 in 2-Ch PCM Mode to confirm your diagnosis???

Seems strange that your speaker would be ok with 88k but not with 96k

Edit: Just to clarify

* A DVD of an Older Movie with a DD 2.0 soundtrack (Bullitt perhaps!!)

* Bluray Soundtrack Uncompressed PCM or DTS-MA over LPCM from the PS3

Last edited by RHurley; 2008-08-25 22:10.

-
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 16
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 16
Your cables may be picking up RF interference form some local source.
Often this will cause the symptoms you describe and it's very difficult to trace, as the interference will vary with weather conditions and local RF signal level.
Interestingly, one cable can cause the problem when to connected different components.
Are your cables original Meridian or some custom cable?

Last edited by shawk; 2008-08-26 00:25. Reason: added info
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
VK:

Have you considered the possibility that the issue is with the Sky signal flagging DD2.0 as PCM instead of outputting PCM as PCM 2.0?

Also, you can try a concert DVD -they often have a stereo PCM track at 48K you can check with.

I'm not sure we're to the point where we know conclusively that PCM @ 48K is the issue.


Surround Music Fan/Computer Geek/Curmudgeon in training.
---
861v4, HD621, Panasonic BD-P55K, Toshiba HD-A35, Oppo HD990, Dish Network 622, Pioneer DV-668AV-S w/ DVD Upgrades mod, EW Fontaine II (x5), Velodyne DD-15 (x2), Seymour AV Ice blocks (x7)
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Originally Posted by RHurley
Have you tried a 2-Ch DTS Disc or even a DVD / Bluray Output from your PS3 in 2-Ch PCM Mode to confirm your diagnosis???
Not yet, but I'll try tonight.

Quote
Seems strange that your speaker would be ok with 88k but not with 96k
You're right that the two frequencies are pretty close together. My other thought is the G68 might be MHR encrypying based on whether or not the source is flagged as copy protected. i.e. It's an MHR problem in the speaker. I reverse engineered the G68 diagnostics from the 568 ones, so I'll take a look to see what the MHR output status is:

DSP VEAC 6/0/NE/0102.
- VEAC as per 568
- 6 is probably the sampling frequency
- 0 is ?
- N is MHR input status (N=not enabled, E=enabled)
- E is MHR output status (N=not enabled, E=enabled)
- 0102 - looks like it could be input stream status and output stream status

Originally Posted by shawk
Your cables may be picking up RF interference form some local source.
Often this will cause the symptoms you describe and it's very difficult to trace, as the interference will vary with weather conditions and local RF signal level.
Interestingly, one cable can cause the problem when to connected different components.
Are your cables original Meridian or some custom cable?
Cables are original Meridian. I'll swap the speaker once more, but I'm pretty convinced it's not a cable problem.

Originally Posted by John Kotches
Have you considered the possibility that the issue is with the Sky signal flagging DD2.0 as PCM instead of outputting PCM as PCM 2.0?
How would this affect one speaker and not the other four?

Quote
Also, you can try a concert DVD -they often have a stereo PCM track at 48K you can check with.
I'll do this.

Quote
I'm not sure we're to the point where we know conclusively that PCM @ 48K is the issue.
I think you're right - see my comment about MHR above.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
Re: Sky outputting odd things....

Last week on returning from a trip away, I switched all the gear on from a cold start and tried to watch the Olympics (a past-time we Brits can now admit to doing).

I was watching Sky/BBC HD ch 143. No sound from the centre channel. Only ambiance out of the L/R. I immediately and incorrectly assumed the G68 had lost some settings as even the SB+ seemed very very quiet (75+ on the scale just to get a volume I'd normally associate with ~55).

I went to bed and ignored it. 1st thing in the morning I reloaded the config file and all was back to normal....except for BBC HD 143. No centre channel. It was like it all week and was only a problem on that channel.

Relevance of the story is that odd things can happen for single channels.

Rebbot your sat receiver while you're at it.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Originally Posted by ncpl
I was watching Sky/BBC HD ch 143. No sound from the centre channel. Only ambiance out of the L/R.
I noticed that too...

Quote
Relevance of the story is that odd things can happen for single channels.
Surely not for a back right channel derived from a two channel source! wink


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Originally Posted by ncpl
... I switched all the gear on from a cold start and tried to watch the Olympics.

I immediately and incorrectly assumed the G68 had lost some settings as even the SB+ seemed very very quiet (75+ on the scale just to get a volume I'd normally associate with ~55).

I went to bed and ignored it. 1st thing in the morning I reloaded the config file and all was back to normal...
Nick,

It's a bit concerning when, just switching on your gear after a few days, you immediately suspect that G68 has gone belly up and you reload the config files. It's supposed to be a bit of consumer electronics used by less than savvy members of the public. It's this mindset that Meridian have instilled in even us ardent fans. "If it suddenly doesn't work it will be the Meridian gear."


Malcolm
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Originally Posted by malcolmw
It's a bit concerning when, just switching on your gear after a few days, you immediately suspect that G68 has gone belly up and you reload the config files. It's supposed to be a bit of consumer electronics used by less than savvy members of the public. It's this mindset that Meridian have instilled in even us ardent fans. "If it suddenly doesn't work it will be the Meridian gear."
Agreed. I'm so paranoid, I always check that my two rear speakers have actually come on... Whilst I love playing, it would be nice to just run the damn system for a change!


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
Guys, I agree. I'd be a bit more vocal about it if I hadn't been so frazzled after a fairly tiring trip home. I can't rule out user error.
The centre ch was defo not user error.


Rgds,
Nick


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Parky43007), 528 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,190
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.086s Queries: 40 (0.062s) Memory: 0.8904 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 11:01:56 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS