logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Thanks John

I had not spotted the subtleties between the two regarding digital out. Using both units would solve my problem, but at a cost although the bundle does make this slightly more palatable although I don't think that I would be able to get this one past my wife who is kindly offering to buy me the i80 as a very late xmas present such were the delays in launching the iPod dock.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 369
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 369
I see little reason for an iPod dock in a stationary system. All of your music is ripped to iTunes anyway, so a Sonos or Squeezebox is preferable to using the iPod. (and I use a utility that allows me to have multiple iTunes libraries, so my iPod library is ripped 128k AAC, but the home library is ripper lossless.) Now for a portable system, I certainly understand...


John


Main system: Cable, Apple TV, HD621, G68D, AC11, 218, DSP7200SE (L+R), DSP3200 (L+R Rear)
2nd system: Cable, Apple TV, MC200, HD621, 568.2, M3100 (L+R)
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
What is the name of the utility?


561, DSP5500s, DSP5000C, analog sides and rears
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
I use dBpoweramp for doing this sort of stuff and works great.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Originally Posted by johnmcelfresh
I see little reason for an iPod dock in a stationary system.
Its all down to aesthetics and ergonomics's. The iPod dock would charge my iPod, on paper looks great and needs no further power supply or cable runs. Ergonomically, for me, if I can read the display at a distance, its the best solution.

I have had Squeezebox for many years and every time a new software release comes out, I get worried. It once needed a minimal spec system (I run it on a P3/500 w/512MB), but now its well below the published minimum specs (not that I can find them) and seems to be more sluggish with every release - one day its going to break and suddenly a 'cheap' solution is going to require a different PC and the time and cost implications of that. I am worried that this may be the case if I added a Duet.

The Sonos looks great, but I can no longer justify the money. Plus it would need a couple of long trailing wires. If I was starting again, I would almost definitely go Sonos, but I have Squeezebox and F80 and I'm not a throw away kind of guy. And the wife uses the clock display on the Squeezebox almost contstantly, so no chance of slipping something new in without being noticed.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 338
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 338
I've check the Sonos system, I was very tempted BUT they do not support higher sampling rate than 48khz.
When you see all music companies going on-line with Hi-Res downloadable 96khz/24bit albums you wonder it is not worth waiting for an updated version.
just my 2c

I personnally do not want to be forced to have my pc open when I play music, so SBs for me....

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 416
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 416
Wonder if the forthcoming Sonos units will support 96khz -- my guess in no.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,053
Likes: 1
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,053
Likes: 1
Seems Sonos are putting most of their work into a video solution...


HD621, G98DH, G68ADV, Bc Acoustiqe ACT A3, 5200C DSP33, NuForce Reference 9 monoblocks, 2x SB3's, Velodyne DD-15 & DD-12 Subwoofers and a Meridian sub.
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 416
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 416
Where do you get wind of a video solution?

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
If anyone would like to PM me after next Tuesday I can discuss pricing of the new range. Its more of an evolution (size, amps, network its all there is you google it) than a revolution but more comprehensive information should be on the Sonos website soon. Existing owners will be getting a mailshot from Sonos but if you want to buy in the UK, give me a call and I will see what price I can sort out for you as I am a reseller for Computers Unlimited the UK distributor of this product.

The existing 130 bundle (controller + ZP100 + ZP80) is also be available at a discount but I would need to order more than one bundle to get it at the special price. ZP100 is sold out and limited stocks on the ZP80. The controller is as far as I am aware, unchanged so there is no old and new.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
The Duet is on sale for $269, down from $399, on the Squeezebox site; Harbinger of new models?


561, DSP5500s, DSP5000C, analog sides and rears
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
Originally Posted by Frank
The Duet is on sale for $269, down from $399, on the Squeezebox site; Harbinger of new models?

I could not find anything of the sort.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 879 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.119s Queries: 40 (0.082s) Memory: 0.8845 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 09:45:01 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS