Hiya , tried he search to see if anything came up but nada.
Anyway heres the thing , I use a Theta jade transport running thru a Z-sys RDP-1 digital parametric/pre with a set of Meridian DSP5500's
I want to dip my feet into server based music and thought a Squeezebox ideal.
However I also have a set of ATC scm50a's.
Now here'e the thing , I can get a SB at around $300 or a Transporter at around the equiv of $1200 - neither are a huge outlay for me , but I don't want to "waste" money on the more expensive unit. (seems the transporter in the US is closer to $2k , so perhaps 1200 is a "bargain")
So I have a few questions and points and need some advice
1)In the DSP based system , would there be ANY sonic diff tween the SB and TRANS? Is there any difference in terms of ergonomics and useability.
In all likelyhood , I will be ripping uncompressed to my HD.
2) One thing about the SB is it has a headphone output whereas the Trans has none , is this headphone output at all decent? I am using Senn HD650's with a Jolida CDP and a Musical Fidelity X-can V3 valve amp.
3) Can the transporter be used as a stand alone DAC of any quality
4) Is the volume control only in the digital doman for the Trans , IE can it be used as a decent DAC AND a Pre of sorts?
5) My ATC's have balanced inputs , The Trans has balanced outputs , currently I run the ATC's off a TACT 2.00 with an AD/DA board and I'm not that impressed. I'm thinking the Transporter might be a better option especially since I can use it as a music server and a DAC/pre? (I could use the SB into the TACT too)
6)Is either unit sensitive to Digital cables ,I would do away with the LONG Meridian cable and use a Kimber illuminati to my master speaker cos I can site either SB or transporter near the master.
7) Are there any issues with either unit and DSP speakers (older non 24/96 models)
As I said , neither unit is a financial hardship , I haven't spent much on my system recently so I am in "credit" but if the SB is more than good enough , perhaps I should use the balance for something else , like a really hot puter for ripping or some terrabyte Raid HD system instead of wanting to run atc's or other non digital systems.
Thanks in advance for any info.