logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
Rodney, the standard TacT unit isn't transparent (to my ears) so could be the reason you didn't like it even in bypass. Third-party mods can improve this and I guess the new Boz/Lyngdorf stuff will also be an improvemnet. Of course, you should be able to replicate the parametic EQ of the Z-sys RDP-1 using the TacT's own parametric EQ mode.

Mark

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 383
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 383
Originally Posted by Rodney_gold
I actually have had more success with my Z-sys RDP-1 digital parametric , albeit it does not do time correction the parametric ability is useful and it is as transparent as it comes.

Rodney,

I recently bought a 2nd hand RDP-1, and find the behaviour of the remote control a bit erratic. It often increments by 2 when it should increment by 1, which is a pain when trying to select an input. Have I bought a duffer, or do they all do this?

Mark S


Mark Short
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 655
Likes: 1
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 655
Likes: 1
Mark , mine does that too, I got a chip upgrade from Z-Sys that was supposed to fix this (musta been at least 6-7 yrs ago), but it doesnt. In fact mine suddenly jumps from one function to another at times.
I did a workaround , I use a Programmeable remote - an old Sony RM something or other and havent had a problems since. I also have the Z-sys right by my listening chair and just twiddle the knobs.
I have experimented with various dither patterns Z-sys provide with mine and have fount that non of the dither modes work well compared to undithered and have also found that 20 bits out is by far the best for my old DSP5500s (non 24/96)
What is also nice about the RDP-1 is that you can sperate L&R chans and apply different settings to each.
What is the pits with it is this : It promotes MAJOR "fiddlitus" in that one is forever tweaking on a CD by CD basis to optimise the sonics , IE you think like this "if this setting is good , maybe a little tweak here and there is better"
I initially used it to notch out a very nasty bass hump in a very narrow band at about 37 hz in my old listewning room , I moved subsequent to that and now use it as a glorified tone cotrol, I also always dial in about 3db attenutaion cos if you boost any frequency , you can get digital clipping. Evidently it works in boost mode , by dropping everything around the freq you boosting. I have also found that small changes in centre freq ,slope or boost/cut , even as small as .2 db actually seem to change the percieved sonics quite a bit , more than would be expected but this may be a self fulfilling prophesy as I know I am increasing or decreasing a specific band and thus "imagine" the change more??


Roon/Tidal, SBT, Trinnov ST2 , Twin Devialet D premiers, Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits, dedicated and treated room.
Meridian gear: 568.2mm and DSP5000's acting as TV speakers.
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 216
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 216
Originally Posted by Mark_H
Originally Posted by brucemck2
As an aside, I had pretty severe user interface issues with the Tact. I could not get it stable under Crestron control, despite paying big dollars to two different top notch Crestron programmers. I believe it was a bug in the communications hardware. This has likely been fixed in the last three years.

What issues did you have? I had none that I recall with my TCS2. And I do all my own Crestron programming which makes me an amateur in that field... though my background *was* programming.

Mark

I could not maintain reliable control between the Crestron and the Tact TCS. The communcations would regularly fail, and it often required a hard reboot to get the unit to work again even under manual control. The unit was sent to Tact for repair, and they could not get it working either. I spent 12 months going back and forth and back and forth and finally I gave up in frustration. What was extremely frustrating was that Tact kept telling me their units worked fine with Crestron gear, but could not (or would not) send me either reference code that worked or connect me with a programmer that had succeeded with the unit. I concluded that they didn't really have it working yet, despite assurances to the contrary.

Since I had one of the earlier units put out, I assume but do not know that they've fixed this since then.

I also had problems with the unit "freezing up" when under manual control, which was independent of the Crestron issues.

It was a nice unit sonically, but ultimately Tact lost me on real world useability.


That being said, for the application being contemplated in the first post of this thread I suspect the unit would function well.



DirecTV HR21, Ram modded Oppo 93, JRiver MC17 on Win7 wi/SSD, Empirical Audio Ultraclock Offramp, 861v6, Bryston 28B SST2 amps, Salk 12" Soundscapes with Dueland caps, RAM modded Audyssey Balanced Pro, Lumagen Radiance, MarantzS4
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 383
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 383
Originally Posted by Rodney_gold
Mark , mine does that too, I got a chip upgrade from Z-Sys that was supposed to fix this (musta been at least 6-7 yrs ago), but it doesnt.

Thanks for the info Rodney. I do find the RDP-1 ergonomics come a poor second to Meridian's, although strangely the manual is very well written, and puts M's efforts to shame.

Mark S


Mark Short
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 823
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 823
Originally Posted by MarkS
[quote=Rodney_gold]I do find the RDP-1 ergonomics come a poor second to Meridian's, although strangely the manual is very well written, and puts M's efforts to shame.
My only problems with the RDP-1 are (1) that it is 2channel only and (1) that it is digital-input only. The former precludes using it with all the channels on the digital feed from the player to the pre/pro and the latter precludes using it on only the main L/R speakers after the pre/pro. Sigh.

Kal


Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 416
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 416
Outside of lacking analog inputs and other external hardware features, does anyone know the difference between the Tact 2.2XP and the new Mini? The website is not clear about this. Do they have the same DACs, for example?

In users' experiences, is the Tact helpful at high frequencies, or is it pretty much mids and below?

Last edited by rblnr; 2007-12-04 13:58.
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 88
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 88
I am living the densely populated city, Hong Kong; and have a even harsher living room that are full of glass panel. So, I have similar situation with rblnr.

I am looking forward to a room correction device for DSP. Hope that gentleman here can share your experience with G68, TACT and others.

Many thanks


Oppo 95, G68ADV, DSP6k 24/96, HD621
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 416
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 416
I'm going to stop by Tact tomorrow and hear the new Mini. I'll report.

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 88
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 88
rblnr,

Any feedback on the Mini or 2.2XP?


Oppo 95, G68ADV, DSP6k 24/96, HD621
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Richard W), 350 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,189
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.072s Queries: 35 (0.024s) Memory: 0.8768 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-09 18:50:17 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS