logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#56179 2007-04-24 23:28
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639
Quote
Originally posted by Arcade:
Quote
Originally posted by kenliles:
[b] I recently was able to stream some dts and dd5.1 from iTunes to the ATV >> processed by the G68.. very sweet indeed...

ken
What are you using for DTS/DD5.1? The newly released beta of Handbrake? They claim to support 5.1 on the ATV with this latest release. [/b]
Yes the new version of HB supports AAC5.1, AC3-2ch as well as transcode to PLII. But, I'm using some legal demo WAV files I downloaded ; both in DD5.1 and DTS. And that's all i can say about that....

Turns out though AppleTV supports pass-through of DTS and DD5.1 out of the box - even though iTunes/QT won't decode and play it... Sounds wonderful too I might add

ken

#56180 2007-04-25 03:11
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
Quote
Originally posted by Keep it Simple:
It doesn't quite make sense to me that a SB3 is even remotely comparable to a "high end transport".
Why? And have you tried for yourself?

Mark

#56181 2007-04-25 04:59
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 419
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 419
I am in the process of adding a Benchmark DAC1 to my Mac Mini.

I was intrigued after reading accounts that compare the Benchmark DAC1 favorably with the Meridian 861 DAC. I also read accounts that the SB3 via the DAC1 compares with the Slim Devices Transporter.

Benchmark claims that their DAC1 is immune from jitter.

From their web site:

"Jitter-Immune UltraLock™
The Benchmark UltraLock™ system is nearly 100% jitter immune. The D/A conversion clock is totally isolated from the input digital audio clock in a topology that outperforms two-stage PLL designs. In fact, no jitter-induced artifacts can be detected using an Audio Precision System 2 Cascade test set.

Measurement limits include detection of artifacts as low as -140 dBFS, application of jitter amplitudes as high as 12.75 unit intervals (UI) and application of jitter over a frequency range of 2 Hz to 200 kHz.

Any signal that can be decoded by the USB or AES/EBU receivers will be reproduced without the addition of any measurable jitter artifacts. The AES/EBU receiver IC has been selected for its ability to accurately recover data in the presence of very high jitter levels."

#56182 2007-04-25 08:21
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
"The Benchmark UltraLock™ system is nearly 100% jitter immune."

I think that's the crucial quote. Meridian would probably claim their FIFO buffers make them nearly immune. Apogee's Big Ben claims "unmeasurable jitter" levels and can reclock incoming signals "perfectly". And so on. I suspect that most decent DACS are "nearly" immune. What we need are devices, or delivery systems, that *ARE* immune.

Mark

#56183 2007-04-25 11:03
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 148
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 148
Quote
Why? And have you tried for yourself?
I mean based on what we have been fed. Shouldn't there be a major knowledge gap between a company that sells a transport for $10k and another that makes a media device for $250? A gap that is so blatantly large that sales of the $10k product are not questioned by those who have moved from the uber transport to the media player? Esoteric's transport and DAC were just reviewed by Absolute Sound. This is a $30k combo. What makes this so much better than SB3? Or are we all mad?

#56184 2007-04-25 11:20
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
The Squeezebox isn't perfect, hence the third-party mods, but as a proof of concept it's a compelling argument. Don't forget that these devices are relatively young - if you wanted the best sound quality before these came along you had to buy a high-end player. Now that crown is being usurped by the next generation of technology.

I stopped using my Mark Levinson Reference transport (�12k) once I added the Squeezebox, but I continue to use my Levinson Reference DAC (�15k). The Squeezebox's job is to deliver a digital stream as accurately as possible (ie it's a transport) after that it's up to the rest of your kit to make the most of that signal.

I think the market for high-end players should be dead but there are still people willing to pay the money and there is no doubt that the players deliver the goods, but if you are willing to set up a server, do the rips and install a Squeezebox (preferally modded) you can achieve the same sound (and better in some cases) for much less money. If you are not willing to do this, and not everybody will be, and you want the best possible sound you need to buy a high-end transport.

Mark

#56185 2007-04-25 13:18
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
Quote
Originally posted by Mark_H:
The Squeezebox isn't perfect, hence the third-party mods, but as a proof of concept it's a compelling argument. Don't forget that these devices are relatively young - if you wanted the best sound quality before these came along you had to buy a high-end player. Now that crown is being usurped by the next generation of technology.

Mark
There would be mods if the SqueezeBox was perfect. That's just how things are.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
#56186 2007-04-25 13:28
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
The Transporter was supposed to be the audiophile SB but it has mods too, so you are correct. The Transporter is going to wrong way for me - it's getting back to high-end prices when the Squeezebox shows what can be done cheaply if the technology is right.

Mark

#56187 2007-04-25 14:26
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
I'd buy a Transportor with no DACs and a Sonos like remote for $1k. But one thing that turns me off on the transport is no 88.2Khz support.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
#56188 2007-04-25 14:49
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
A week ago I sat down in front of 2 DSP7000 and an 808i CD player. I was astounded of how much information that player digs up. I don't think my present media server comes close.

English mag HiFi News did not get as good readings as Stereophile on Jitter and they have the same measurement equipment. The vanilla Transporter also got beat in soundquality vs a Townshend CD Player according to the article.

Now I'm a digital guy with a digital girlfriend who ripped all her CDs into lossless, we like convenience servers for Audio and Video. What device would be the best soundquality for music?

Currently I use a server that is dampened and isolated from vibration.

Vista/Foobar2k -> Secret Rabbit Code 24/96 Upsampling -> ESI Pro Maya 44 Coax with ASIO 2.0 drivers-> Meridian G68.


DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
#56189 2007-04-25 15:12
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
Quote
A week ago I sat down in front of 2 DSP7000 and an 808i CD player. I was astounded of how much information that player digs up. I don't think my present media server comes close.
I think that's a point made above. A very high end player into a very nice set of speakers (and DAC, amp etc if you're not DSP) will sound very very good. That was �25k's worth of nice sound.

Given that the same CD plays in the 808 and then can get ripped via EAC etc for totally accurate 1's and 0's, it must be something else that makes the difference, You cannot 'dig out' more info in one device than the other if they are both working properly.

Therefore, it may be something like jitter that makes it sound different (better?). I wonder what the measurements are for the 808 - as M's very reference machine. I expect it'll be good.

I don't know what Vista/Foobar2k -> Secret Rabbit Code 24/96 Upsampling -> ESI Pro Maya 44 Coax with ASIO 2.0 drivers-> are but it sounds like they may be a direct wired feed straight from the server to the G68. If that's so, then it perhaps not as immune from pc noise etc as the wireless devices....just a thought see this thread
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=33724

I'd accept that the standard SB3 shouldn't be up with the 808. I wouldn't expect it to be really at �200. However, with some care and attention on some mods, it may well equal or exceed that performance. As stated by GaryG and Mark previously, an SB+ for �800 is still only 10% of an 808.

In the absense of M stepping into this space, I am very tempted to move on an SB+ currently.

FYI, there's a couple of interesting jitter threads running on the slim forum

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=34749


Rgds,
Nick


#56190 2007-04-25 15:24
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Quote
Originally posted by ncpl:
[QUOTE]Given that the same CD plays in the 808 and then can get ripped via EAC etc for totally accurate 1's and 0's, it must be something else that makes the difference, You cannot 'dig out' more info in one device than the other if they are both working properly.

Therefore, it may be something like jitter that makes it sound different (better?).
Personally, I think the problem is that no-one - no-one - does double-blind comparisons. Intuitively I think the results would be very interesting.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,182
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.064s Queries: 39 (0.034s) Memory: 0.8905 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-08 17:01:25 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS