Originally posted by dBrowne:
As bedside radio-alarm clock, I didn't notice whether it some kind of battery backup, like the Tivoli, should there be a power outage in the night.
Im not sure if the clock settings are picked up from radio or is in built, but I didn't need to set the clock - it was already showing the correct date and time. I suspect it has a built in RTC as I going to set the clock was probably the first thing that I went to do and I found it correct. Also, as a 'portable' unit, having to set the clock every time that it is moved would be a bit of a pain.
Two further observations:
Putting in a CD, display shows 44k1 so I guess no up sampling is going on?
Externally, the unit has 3 visible inputs marked Aux 1, Optical In - Aux 2 and Aux 3 - Dock. However, in setup, there are 4 aux inputs - Aux 1, Aux 2, Aux 3 and optical. Unless the Optical In doubles as something (which I cannot detect), I am not sure where the 4th input is. All can have their labels configured to Aux x/Optical, TV, MP3, Zune, iPod, MD.
As for configuration, tilt seems to have quite a bearing. So its a matter of balancing the settings of width (recomended to go large if you are sitting further back), location and tilt. Its just a shame that these cannot be tweaked from the seating position using the remote or MSR+.
As my first real DAB experience (rather than a 5 minute dabble with a Psion waveradio which dismissed the technology), I am surprised how variable the signal is. Last night, the F80's signal strength meter was showing values in the upper 500/lower 600 range (on a scale up to 1024) but this morning, with nothing changed (including the station), is back down to mid 300's/low 400's. Putting this in perspective, the value 320 is considered the minimal setting so these values are marginal and can result in some squelch/burble.
Certainly I need to work on aerial configuration, even if it means me putting splitter on the aerial socket. If I have TV/FM aerials in the loft that are then multiplexed and diplexed, I would not get a DAB signal out of this? Or does DAB share the same frequencies as either TV/FM (in the same way that Freeview shares same frequencies as analogue TV)? I don't know if I could get put a DAB aerial in the loft and simply fit a TV/FM/DAB wallplate as components (distribution amp/wall plates) in between only deal FM and TV.