Originally posted by VirusKiller: Oz, what's wrong with a G68/HDMAX 421 solution? The G68 will switch the HDMI inputs on the HDMAX via comms.
My understanding from the my friend at the local Meridian distributors and what I read on the data sheet indicates is that it requires either a G98 or G91 transport or player to control it:
Quote
Input 1 on the 421 Switcher also automatically senses the presence of a Meridian DVD-Audio/ Video player. When the Meridian player detects the presence of a Switcher, a range of additional options become available in the player`s on-screen display allowing video sources to be assigned to the other Switcher inputs instead of going via the player`s internal format conversion and scaling. (Player firmware revision 1.86 or later required.) A G12 infrared sensor may be connected via a Comms port for infrared remote control capabilities.
If I'm wrong great. Otherwise there's essential no difference to any other manual switcher out there. The other big thing is we are still stuck with no Multi-channel PCM via HDMI capability, so I have to rely on the analogue output from the XA2 but am stuffed with the PS3's HDMI only multi...
It's pity also that decent mult-input outboard HDMI video switchers seem to range from $US200+ up to $600 in the case of the Radiient. That just to add a somewhat less than ideal non-integrated switching solution. The idea of auto-switching is nice but pretty useless when you have sources already switched on and want to switch between them, ie HTPC to PS3 to HD-DVD to DTV, etc.
The G68 can switch the 421 via a comms lead ... Within the MConfig program, it is necessary to assign the HDMI inputs within the "Sources" section under "Properties" for the switcher (right-click on the 421). These aren't automatically assigned in the usual way.
Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Very few HDMI switchers support the PS3, as it is the first (only?) HDMI 1.3 source available.
After checking the AVS Forum the only HDMI switcher that is reported to have no problem with the PS3 is the Octava. The Monoprice supports it, but only from 1 port (port 5).
Even if you aren't planning on getting a PS3, it is a good indicator of a particular HDMI switch being future proof.
Theater - 861v8, 621, Oppo BD83, 8K front 7200s back, 7200HC with 5200s on the sides, SW 5500 Family Room - 218, OG 8K Pair Desktop/office system Media Source 600, 3100s with SW1600 Focal Stellia with Arche Amp and 218 for critical listening Prime Headphone Amp and Power Supply for desktop headphone listening with Meze Empyrean
Originally posted by Arcade: Has anyone connected a PS3 to the HDMAX 421?
Very few HDMI switchers support the PS3, as it is the first (only?) HDMI 1.3 source available.
After checking the AVS Forum the only HDMI switcher that is reported to have no problem with the PS3 is the Octava. The Monoprice supports it, but only from 1 port (port 5).
Even if you aren't planning on getting a PS3, it is a good indicator of a particular HDMI switch being future proof.
Ugh, I just ordered the Key Digital HDMI4x1 unit. I hope it works.
- Fiddler (IMHO)
If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument. HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6 Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument. HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6 Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
Ok, so I got the 421 the other day. I'm am pretty well versed in Meridian configuration but I can't get the G68 to switch it to the assign inputs and it's really annoying me. Despite the GUI showing me that I have stored the correct setup to have the G68 use H1 for HDDVD and H2 for my PS3, it keeps defaulting to H1 for PS3 and H4 for HDDVD. I have subsequently stored, tried, deleted, recreated the setup about six times now and no go it won't memorise the setup as per the GUI. Surely, it's shouldn't be that difficult to get the comms to work properly? I updated the system firmware first off the other day to make sure everything was up to date as well.