logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Morning all...

I now have three HDMI sources and no switcher... A video processor is not on my shopping list until I've been able to check out the VXP processing in the new JVC HD1 projector.

Thoughts on a decent interim switching solution?

A second-hand HDMAX 421 would seem the ideal system integration option if and only if the price was right. Are there any issues I should know about?

Are there any other recommended and cost-effective HDMI switching options?

My sources are:

Oppo HD970 (480i/576i)
SkyHD (576p/1080i)
Tosh HD-XA1 (480i/1080i)

Thanks!
Joel


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
Hi Joel

A used HDMax 421 has just appeared on eBay today. It seems pricey, but I don't know what the RRP is anyway, so maybe it's still a good deal.

Cheers

George

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 218
Likes: 2
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 218
Likes: 2
I use a 421 to switch my G91 & SkyHD at the moment - it works great if a bit pricey (UK retail is of the order of �425 I believe). I went with the 421 because my G91 can control it automatically so I never have to explicitly switch HDMI inputs using the 421 front panel.
If you don't have a G91/G98 then I think I'd be looking at an alternate that is remote controlled (Octavia appears to a UK favorite I've noticed and they do various relatively inexpensive variants)

Graham


Meridian Owner since 1991
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Quote
Originally posted by Mr Meridian:
A used HDMax 421 has just appeared on eBay today.
The appearance on eBay and the appearance of this thread are not unrelated! (though I have been thinking about this for some time).

As Graham says, retail is �425, so �200 to �250 would make sense. None of my sources nor display will be HDMI v1.3 so that shortcoming is not a big deal.

Graham, the 421 can be controlled via comms by a G68, no?


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/homecinema_Octava_HDS3-UK.htm

Thanks for the hint Graham. The Octavia looks pretty good, especially if it auto-switches when a source is activated.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 218
Likes: 2
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 218
Likes: 2
The 421 has a BNC comms connector certainly but I never got it to do anything via that route. The only way I ever got auto switching was if my G91 was hooked up to socket 4 - in fact I've disconnected the comms to the 421 completely now as redundant


Meridian Owner since 1991
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 143
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 143
My 421 also has the usual Meridian Din type Comms socket. I've used this to control the source switching on the 421 with a standard comms cable from my G91. (Note I intentionally didn't plug the G91 into socket 4 because which detects a Merdian Player as I was trying to get around a problem with my display). This comms connection worked fine with the G91 so I can't ses a problem using a G68. Even so I now use the RS232 to switch the 421.


Current Mismash of components :
1) TV System Living Room
2) Media Streaming Kitchen
3) Cinema System
4) Media Streaming Room 2
5) Other stuff in the post...
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 101
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 101
I have the 421 running thru the 861 and it works fine- thru the comms it auto. switches when I select a different source on the 861- gary

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 757
Likes: 6
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 757
Likes: 6
I've been using 421 with 800 and telewest tv-drive controlled via the normal din comms (simply on default settings: DVD on 4 and tv/cable on 3 I think) and it's been flawless (I suspect it's about crash on me now I've said that, as 2007 has started out with a set of minor problems including the HDMI output from tv-drive failing for 2nd time).

It's expensive and has a blue led - which flashes if no good HDMI signal is present, for example when everything is switched off - but so far has worked seamlessly.

The look of joy on my wifes face when I explained she didn't have to switch between input configurations on the tv (component and HDMI on same input) anymore made both the price of the 800 upgrade and the 421 almost reasonable.

regards

Chris


Lounge/Cinema, Trinnov, DSP8000XE, 4x 320.2 in-ceiling, M6 rear, 2x DSW.2
Roon Nucleus+ and 320.2 in-ceiling in many rooms (KEF in-ceiling in bathrooms)
Spare: DSP5000, 598, 562v2, 500Mk2, 518, 519, 504, 101B, M3, 861v4, 800 DVD, MS600, MC200
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Quote
Originally posted by caldham:
The look of joy on my wifes face when I explained she didn't have to switch between input configurations on the tv
Been there, done that!


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
My G68 based system now stands out by it's inability to switch HDMI, let alone take advantage of PCM audio from HD-DVD, from my other 2 systems. I now have 4 HDMI devices which need to share 2 HDMI inputs on my 1080p Sony 70" SXRD. When I get my replacement HD player for my HD-A1, the XA2, I'm going to be stuck with looking for a decent outboard switching solution or now have 2 sets of el-cheapo manual HDMI switchs! I wish Meridian would hurry up and do something to bring the connectivity up to date. I was getting to the stage today where I started to ponder the idea of saying goodbye to the G68 and getting a processor that can cope with all these HDMI requirements I now have. Even my Denon AVC-A1XV in my separate theatre install can handle the task without an issue.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
I found the HDMax in the end, but was a bit mystified when I typed in 'hdmax' into the search box and eBay converted it to a search for 'humax'.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Liam @ Prog AV, TSCA), 320 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,181
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.059s Queries: 39 (0.023s) Memory: 0.8852 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-07 17:58:12 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS