|
|
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 517
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 517 |
Yes, it looks like Christmas is near. I guess it might just feel good from time to time to remember what made us go for M in the first place. Some of that stuff might be still hidden deep inside, ready to bring up a smile now and then  . Merry Christmas, everybody - and thanks for the stories !!!
M kit : G08 502 557 507 2xDSP5k
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 39
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 39 |
I've always loved the Meridian sound and admired their pure digital path logic, but I never thought I would ever be able to afford their equipment. So, after going through numerous Home Theater speakers (NHT VT-2, Aerial Acoustics 7B and 10T) and electronics (Acurus, Krell, Lexicon MC-1), I came to the realization I had reached the financial stratosphere of Meridian products. So, I initially upgraded to a 565/562V processor solution with my traditional amplifiers and speakers. After several amplifier and speaker upgrades, I finally decided my speaker assets had reached the Meridian Digital Theater point, so I upgraded to an 861v2 driving DSP5500, DSP5000C and DSP5000 at the rears. I was so happy with this system, I lived with it for several years enjoying the lush and liquid sound Meridian is known for.
I then began thinking about the future of audio, and decided I could not afford the constant upgrading the Meridian kit demanded to stay current with technology. So, I sold everything and went back to traditional equipment (Anthem electronics, Focal.JMLabs Diva Be/Micro Be speakers and Revel Studio speakers). It only took about 3 months for my displeasure to reach the point where no other sound would be good enough for me other than my Meridian kit. So, I sold everything again, and got an 861v4 with DSP5500 and DSP5000C (I currently have no rears). I am willing to live with the high cost of the Meridian upgrades, because I have discovered I am not happy without my Meridian sound.
861v4, DSP5500, DSP5000C, DSP5000
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 702 Likes: 13
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 702 Likes: 13 |
My first experiences with Meridian were of a 200 series CD player as a student, years ago. One of my flat mates had one due to a family tie to the company. I had previously worked at Lasky's as a teenager, so I'd been into 'hifi' for a while. The Meridian player was certainly the best CD spinner I'd heard. All that was left behind when I moved to the US and many happy years were spent with a Systemdek IIx / Linn K9, Audio Research SP6 / D40 and Spica TC50's. I bought one of the first Yamaha stereo VCR's, and routed it through the 2 channel system as a rudimentary home theatre. As I became more interested in home theatre, I moved to a Lexicon DC1 for movies & tv, but kept the two channel set up for music. I was never completely happy with the Lexicon for music, where I found it somewhat brittle. I was mostly pretty happy with it for movies, but it started to be left behind in terms of DSP capabilities, HD video switching and room correction. I was pretty sure that I wanted room correction capability in my next processor, so that narrowed down the options a fair bit. I read a lot of reviews, and had it narrowed down to a Lexicon MC12 and Meridian G68ADV. The Meridian held the prospect of reuniting audio and video systems, which has happened. I followed it up with a G98DH and have been very happy with the high-resolution connection (sad there aren't a few more discs available). I was also happy that the G68 was said to have a modular architecture, so that both software and hardware upgrades could allow for decent longevity. I have to say, I'm a little disppointed to hear that it doesn't look as if there will be hardware upgrades offered for the G68 (such as HDMI 1.3 allowing for high-resolution audio coming in direcly from HD-DVD or BD). I hold out hope that Meridian might reconsider this. Overall, I think Lexicon has been pretty good about offering hard and software upgrades within platform, and fairly generous upgrade programs from one program to another (though second hand prices seem to get well pummelled). I'm not going to worry too much about that now though as there are plenty of CD's and DVD's waiting to sound and look great, which should be the case for some time to come. Diana Krall's Live in Paris is doing so right now  .
Cheers, Ian
1: Roon on Mac Studio, G-Drive 10TB, 818v3, 7200.2, UHD722, LG 77G4 2. 808.6, 8kSE 3. 218, 3200's 4: Rivian R1T - 18 speaker 1200W Elevation by Meridian premium sound system 5. G68ADV (croaked), G98DH (also croaked), [HD621, Syles SL-S/PDIF, MD600 (2*4TB), QNAP 469L (4*3TB), MS200], Ayre MX-R Twenties, TBD
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 885 Likes: 56
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 885 Likes: 56 |
For me it began with a quest to purchase a new subwoofer. I was young (22) and had a system consisting of all Sony ES with Bose speakers. I was thinking about buying a B&W subwoofer, but came across a demo M1500. The salesperson talked me into trying it. Once I saw the Meridian build quality, and heard the results, I was really intrigued to hear their other equipment.
The more I read about their systems, the more I was thinking about going down a DSP path. I saved money for a long time for an eventual system upgrade. When I heard a demo setup of DSP5500's with a 561, I was immediately sold. I never knew how good a CD could sound. I've never thought twice about the Meridian purchases I've made over the past several years.
Theater: 861v4_LPS, 818v3, HD621, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro, DSP8000SE, DSP5500C, SW1600x2, DSP5500, Epson 6040UB, PS4 Living room: 861v4_LPS, HD621, DSP8000SE, DSP5200C, Oppo 203, Lumagen 2143, 818v3, Sooloos/MC600 Bluesound Node Bedroom: M80 office: G68D, DSP6000 Garage: DSP5000 Storage: M33s, DSP33s, DSP5k, 501, 518, M1500, G98DH, SW1600
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,161 Likes: 4
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,161 Likes: 4 |
I liked the first M brochure I found at a dealer. All that 'Hot rods or hifi' stuff made sense to me. It all made sense until I saw their Price List So I pretty much ruled myself out of the picture and carried on buying Hifi and Home Theatre magazines and trying to design a plan of action in my head. But, dammit , that idea of one brand of components all working perfectly together to 'get' the sound to me along its entirely digital path just wouldn't go away. The logic of it all was inescapable. So I took my then 'newish' girlfriend , as a birthday present, to London to see Pink Floyd at Earl's Court in 1994. Afterwards , we visited 'The Hifi Experience' on Tottenham Court Road and they had M kit playing Laserdisc movies, and Floyd , Zep ,Purple, Beatles and Bowie music. So , 3 years of hardship and saving later , I bought 561 which IMO never got the promised roster of upgrade possibilities they had implied would follow. I coupled this with a Classe Mch. amp. Couple of years more of not going out and I got some DSP speakers across the front. Which led to the DSP rears and ultimately 861 V3......then V4....... then an IA45 card.....and probably V5 with HDMI Next I would like to upgrade the rears and Centre and after that , who knows ???? I'm in for the long run No buyer remorse here, ~M~
Mostly harmless. Comfortably numb.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 101
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 101 |
I started with the MCD Pro back in the late 80's feeding Audio Research tubed gear into surround sound LS3/5a speakers. One of the AR amps blew a tube and circuit board and I got tired of having them repaired. Called a fellow at the stereo shop who gave me a trade on the AR gear + LS3/5a's for a pair of M100s. Have stuck with M since then.
iMac --> ATV --> 568.1 --> M33 LCR + M555 --> AIM8Five + B&W PV1 + Panny 50" HD iMac --> Apogee Duet --> Neumann KH120A Anapeg SD11 Pedal Steel Guitar --> Hardwire RV7/DL8 --> Telonics FP100 Volume Pedal --> Little Walter Tube Amp --> Telonics Cab + Eminence EPS-15C
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 655 Likes: 1
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 655 Likes: 1 |
I went thru all the usual hifi stuff and upgrades till I ended up with a Theil/Krell system which played the few pristinely recorded Cds wonderfully and sounded lousy on on most anything else. I got sick and tired of upgrading and curing one problem yet to reveal another. The Meridian DSP speakers offered me the configurability and spimplicity I wanted and I loved the dynamic sound and the ability to tune to taste- and here I am , many years later, still pretty happy that I can listen to just about anything and enjoy it.
Roon/Tidal, SBT, Trinnov ST2 , Twin Devialet D premiers, Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits, dedicated and treated room. Meridian gear: 568.2mm and DSP5000's acting as TV speakers.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
Great Green Arkleseizure
|
|
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606 |
Being an audiophile since college/university days I'd known the M name for quite some time. I never had the opportunity to hear an M system for the longest time. I heard my first M system and I was hooked. Of course it was a number of years before I actually owned my first piece of M kit -- and if I could work out a solution that didn't require me to own 14 loudspeakers I'd have DSP loudspeakers Of course if I hadn't gotten an exceptionally good deal on an 861v2 I would not own an 861. I'd be "making due with a G68  Yeah, that's really roughing it Cheers,
Surround Music Fan/Computer Geek/Curmudgeon in training. --- 861v4, HD621, Panasonic BD-P55K, Toshiba HD-A35, Oppo HD990, Dish Network 622, Pioneer DV-668AV-S w/ DVD Upgrades mod, EW Fontaine II (x5), Velodyne DD-15 (x2), Seymour AV Ice blocks (x7)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 202
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 202 |
I was surprised and understood the benefits of a digital architecture, loved the ability to purchase a tri-amped speakers. I considered the DSP5000 a great value (I paid list), since amplification are included, loved the fact I did not have to purchase and look at separate amps, and M sounds great. Funny, I was happy I did not have to run 1-inch diameter speaker cables. Additionally, I liked the upgrade paths.
I was a then audiophile neophyte (and based on reading the posts here, may still be). My past systems were nothing to speak. I noticed my dealer, who had a choice of higher-end brands, was only enthusiastic about Meridian.
G68J, HD621, Oppo 103d, 3xDSP5000, 2xM60 Rears, D2500, Linn LP12, Nova Phenomena phono amp Brad
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13 |
WELl, I just saw a friend as I came home today and he said that listening to my system has spoiled him. "Can I come round in the new year to take notes on your system to see if I can set somthing similar up"? As you can tell, I was pleased to offer any advice I can for him. So Perhaps Next year, John (For that is his name) Will be here telling his tale on how he found Meridian. Cheeers, Chris 
No 18 in the Hall of fame  I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660 Likes: 30
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660 Likes: 30 |
When word got out that my old hi-fi was dying a friend put me in a touch with a very nice Meridian man who gave me a great deal on a 568,562V,596 and 504. A few months later he passed on his 5000Ks to me.
I now listen to much more music and read the forum daily. I have also been desensitised to hi-fi prices. I recently spent more on a second hand G68 then I previously spent on my entire hi-fi. I`ve already used up my 2007 budget!!
Tom
Main: G61SL, 218, HD621, 2*7200SE, 7200HCSE, M6s, DSW, Apple TV 4K, NUC (Roon server) Secondary: Wiim Pro, 3200, Audio Core 200 F80
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
|
|
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88 |
What hooked me? The 1991 brochure when I was at university. Owning Meridian kit was an aspiration for over a decade. Not only did it sound great, but the concept was so elegant and so radically different. Innovation at its very best.
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
852
guests, and
2
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,204
Posts297,193
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|