logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 29 of 30 1 2 … 27 28 29 30
#47961 2006-12-27 16:16
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 419
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 419
Quote
Originally posted by JerryL:
A W E S O M E !!!! I particularly like the www.xploitedcinema.com site because its all there.
Agreed! I have purchased their most excellent versions of Sergio Leone spaghetti western DVDs here , here and here .

#47962 2006-12-27 18:41
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 526
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 526
Jerry, Studio Canal`s French discs are said to be superb. All 24p VC1 encodes. Total Recall is meant to make the Lionsgate Bluray version look pathetic by comparison, and I know La Haine is also well regarded. Preview footage of their version of Terminator 2 is also said to look a great deal better than the Bluray version.

#47963 2006-12-27 18:41
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 691
Likes: 4
Formerly Meridian506
Paranoid android
Formerly Meridian506
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 691
Likes: 4
I've read on AVSForum.com that the US HD-A1 cannot cope with 50Hz titles - I've not confirmed it myself though.

David.


Living room: DSP5000.3
WFH Office: M33
Bedroom: P200ZQ
#47964 2006-12-27 19:23
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 526
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 526
None of the HD DVD players can handle 25p/50hz HD content at this time, no. Whether the A1 and XA1 will be able to in future I do not know, but the A2/E1 and XA2/XE1 will be getting an update by the spring that adds support for 25p/50hz content.

Microsoft and Toshiba have together been able to persuade content providers to stick with 24p for all 24fps film based content in Europe however so 50hz encodes will only see light of day with content that is 25fps/25p at source, like a lot of BBCs HD content for example.

#47965 2006-12-27 23:59
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Quote
Originally posted by Arcade:
Quote
Originally posted by JerryL:
[b] There is nothing to lead me to believe they will not work.
According to this the Toshiba HD-A1 is region free. [/b]
It's ture but if you update the FW kiss regin free good bye.



#47966 2006-12-28 01:14
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 526
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 526
Quote
It's ture but if you update the FW kiss regin free good bye.
No firmware update available adds region coding at this point in time to any HD DVD device currently on the market, with no immediate plans for one to be introduced in the near future.

They've still not even implemented a region coding spec to HD DVD. Yes it is being discussed, but it simply does not exist yet, and Toshiba and Microsoft have openly gone on the record numerous times stating that existing players on the market will never have a region coding firmware update forced upon them.

#47967 2006-12-28 05:09
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
I am talking about SD DVD playback.



#47968 2006-12-28 09:49
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 526
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 526
Well no firmware update exists to add or indeed subtract SD DVD region free playback from the existing players. The A1 and XA1 are locked to NTSC R1 and can`t even decode PAL so at most they might only be able to do NTSC R2 and R3 playback with a hack. Would Toshiba then kill such an ability with a future firmware? Unlikely since it would have to be them that (unofficially) allows for such a hack to exist in the first place. This happens all the time. Manufacturers are smart enough to know ease to modify for region-free is of interest to a decent share of consumers, so they deliberately don`t make it difficult to mod but still can`t openly admit to the mod coming from themselves. The Panasonic Bluray player in th UK can have the same region free mod applied to it as one of their DVD players for it to playback SD DVDs from all regions in fact. Works a treat I am told (BD playback remains locked).

The fact manufacturers make room to allow for this, sort of thing however, again, means no manufacturer is likely to suddenly disable it. You might fight a firmware update to fix some bugs or add some features in a player resets the region code (this happens with some Denon DVD players), but you just re-apply the region hack instructions and you`re all set again…

Toshiba Europe have in fact jokingly hinted on a couple of occasions that should an ISO file that can be burnt and placed in the HD-E1 and HD-XE1 players just happen to fall into the hands of a dealer, or onto the internet allowing for multi-region SD playback in the players that it couldn`t possibly have anything to do with them. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more and so on. Now the A2 and XA2 are pretty much identical to the E1 and XE1 we have over here, they just have their primary region code playback for SD playback switched around but this time we know, unlike the A1 and XA1, that the hardware can at least deal with PAL SD signals, so whatever region free mod comes for the European players might also work on the US 2nd gen models.

#47969 2006-12-28 15:52
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
I can tell you guys that the Harry Potter I got from the UK works just peachy in my Tosh XA1. The little I watched of it looked great. There are FBI warnings, etc. It seems strange to me in the world of the internet why they would release certain titles in certain countries when we will end up finding them anyway. I am left to conclude there is some kind of legal/ distribution reason and the companies making the titles know those motivated will find them and the rest will wait until the discs arrive in their territory. I really liked this HP movie- btw, I like them all. Not in the league with LOTR, but certainly well done, well made, and the John Williams music is some of his best recent work IMHO.

I watched The Hulk last night- and you want a reference image- here it is. Since its 1.85:1- it uses the entire HD frame, the bad news is: its 1.85:1 ! wink I actually think it filled my entire 16x9 screen so that must mean its been gently zoomed to 1.78:1.

Here are comments from the HD Digest- I agree with his comments:

Quote
'Hulk' looks fantastic on HD DVD. I'm tempted to give it five stars for picture quality, despite the fact that I'm sure someone will email me, complaining that I missed that one dead pixel in frame 38,394. But **** {edited by JL} it, I will give it five stars -- 'Hulk' is truly one of the best catalog releases I've ever seen on either next-gen format.

Presented in 1.85:1 widescreen and 1080p/VC-1 video, every element of the presentation is demo quality. The source material is pristine, and apparently Universal has been keeping 'Hulk's HD master in some sort of Fort Knox vault on the studio lot. Blacks, contrast, colors -- perfect. Hues are wonderfully smooth and clean, but not over- or under-saturated. Depth, detail and sharpness are all wonderful -- this is the kind of thoroughly three-dimensional high-def transfer that I imagined all HD DVD titles would be like when I first heard of the format. Universal is also to be commended for a tip-top job on the encode, which suffers from no noticeable compression artifacts or intrusive edge enhancement. I just can't find a single thing to complain about with this presentation. Stand back, 'King Kong' and 'Batman Begins' -- you have a new challenger to the throne of HD DVD supremacy.
IMHO there are moments in Batman that are the best I've seen in HD but as a whole The Hulk might become my reference disc- btw I still think Serenity looks fantastic and I will go back and revisit it when I have time.

best regards,
Jerry


Best regards,
Jerry
Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
#47970 2006-12-28 16:27
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
Hulk is possibly the best disc I have seen so far too, with one caveat - there is edge enhancement in the master which I found distracting while watching the movie :-(

Mark

#47971 2006-12-28 16:52
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
yes- I saw this too- its evident on the split screens- they use a black frame to split the screen and this is a great place to look for EE or ringing and it is there. This is why I would not have given it the full 5 starts, but overall, look at those scenes of Jennifer Conneley in the restaurant... fantastic. My wife noted that "shes had botox" hehehe

best regards,
Jerry


Best regards,
Jerry
Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
#47972 2006-12-28 17:03
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Here's a bit of good news to all HD fan/boys as they say. I hope this will warm your hearts for the new year.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=776311



Page 29 of 30 1 2 … 27 28 29 30

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 241 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,170
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.061s Queries: 39 (0.037s) Memory: 0.8897 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-06 05:26:36 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS