|
|
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 517
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 517 |
Yeah, Charlize in HD. Lots of bets on this being one of the most freeze-framed titles ot there ...
M kit : G08 502 557 507 2xDSP5k
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314 |
In skin tight clothing... yes, the audio was.. uh, was there audio? happy holidays guys!!! best regards, Jerry
Best regards, Jerry Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1 |
Funnily enough we watched Aeon Flux yesterday too. A textbook example of style over substance. But what style! As for internet downloads - clearly this is going to play an important role in the future but I think there is always going to be (at least for a generation or two more) a significant proportion of consumers who want the "old" formats - my parents, for instance, are keen on HD but have no broadband and wouldn't know what to do with it if they had it. They fear new technology. I'm guessing they aren't alone... Personally, I fear mediocrity and will avoid any lossy download formats. I also fear data loss and would prefer to have the original in hard format somewhere available. But hopefully that demand for physical formats will keep the new HD formats alive at least long enough for new HD formats (ie download) to come along. Going back to SD only is not an option I want to consider. 2007 is going to be interesting Mark
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314 |
Mark, No doubt. But dont you think that people who fear new technology will also fear HDDVD and BRD- thats new technology too. Some in my family have yet to really figure out how to use their DVD players- I have to show them.... Interesting indeed.
best regards, Jerry
Best regards, Jerry Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1 |
Strictly speaking it is new technology, but it is a familiar one - a shiny 5" disc that goes into a DVD player. These are concepts my parents understand. They already have an HD Ready TV (everybody in the UK is buying them) and are looking for sources to use... and having seen HD-DVD and Blu-Ray at my place are keen to adopt...
Mark
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1 |
Just watched Ultraviolet on Blu-Ray. This is the first Blu-Ray disc that made me really smile due to image quality. Of course it is highly stylized (and this film's plot makes Aeon Flux look like Citizen Kane!) with lots of CGI but the image was impressively good.
[rant on]Another thing that bugs me about Blu-Ray is they force you to sit through the FBI warnings and copyright messages in English *AND* French. Merde! It seems that Blu-Ray camp is following the old DVD format of assuming that we're all criminals who need to be force fed the copyright messages every time we play the disc. And region coding is another layer. With HD-DVD the messages are there but they treat us with respect and allow us to skip right past and get on with watching the movie.[rant off]
Mark
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639 |
That's an appropriate rant from my perspective as well, Mark. In addition, some studios are requiring you to watch the trailer commercials for future releases; I hate that as well...
ken
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314 |
Ill join you in the rant. My rant also includes the "security device enclosed" stickers that are applied all over the cases *inside* the shrink wrap. So- where is this alleged security device? As to watching in French- I'm surprised you get the FBI warnings in other countries but in French? I'd have thought the warnings would say something like "this used to be in French but now we don't do French- enjoy your freedom fries" Mark, are you using a PS3 for BR? If so, how will you control it with your automation system? As to relatives and technology mine are really very stubborn. They don't really operate a VHS nevermind a DVD. Youre right of course that the basic concept is similar. But its yet ANOTHER player to buy....... Btw- I got my first dual DVD/ HD DVD- the Jet Li flick- Fearless. I should compare that. Both sides work flawlessly. happy holidays and best regards, Jerry
Best regards, Jerry Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1 |
Yep - I *hate* those security stickers too. Especially when you get three on a box.
I am using the Sony BDP-S1 for Blu-Ray. Automation is via Crestron.
The HD-DVD player is another player, for sure, but it's a bit of kit they know how to use - you open the tray, you put the disc in, you watch the film. Asking my parents to buy a PC, and then learn how to use, it in order to download content isn't going to get you very far...
Enjoy Fearless, I saw this at the cinema. It's no Hero, House of Flying Daggers or Crouching Tiger, but it has it's moments.
Mark
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332 |
Arcam take on BD and MPG-2..... http://www.arcam.co.uk/downloads/Ar...20Fo rmats.pdf
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314 |
Mark, How is the Sony BR player? Do you think this is the best BR option currently? Just a Fan- heres a fixed URL http://www.arcam.co.uk/downloads/Ar...Making%20Sense%20HD%20Disc%20Formats.pdf best regards, Jerry
Best regards, Jerry Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1 |
Jerry,
I couldn't really comment on whether it's the best option available. I just needed a player to make comparisons versus HD-DVD and I've always had a soft spot for Sony's first generation players which are often over-engineered to get the best from a new format. I pretty much like everything about it except for two things - it doesn't support RS232 and it doesn't support internet firmware upgrades and I am starting to wonder how I will upgrade the unit should it be necessary. I am hoping that we will see people uploading .ISO copies of the upgrade discs like we are seeing with HD-DVD.
Cheers,
Mark
|
|
|
|
1 members (rjek),
172
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,171
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|