|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314 |
Thanks guys for some enjoyable reading.
best regards, Jerry
Best regards, Jerry Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332 |
PS3 sold over 500k units in the US as of yesterday.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1 |
I spent yesterday going through my small collection of Blu-Ray films with my new Sony BDP-S1. Not one of them came close to the average picture quality that we are seeing with HD-DVD.
The encoding was generally clean and there was a pleasing absence of the typical MPEG2 artefacts, though on a number of discs the FBI warning was a mess of i-frame pulsing (but that's nitpicking as it's the main feature I am interested in, but it does leave one a little concerned about what to expect). I did notice some macro blocking and aliasing in Ultraviolet. But as I say, generally the films were pretty clear of artefacts. The only artefacts I see while watching HD-DVD are attributable to my DLP projector.
But my main feeling with the films was that they never look as sharp or detailed as HD-DVD and so every film feels soft - it's almost like the Blu-Ray films are not encoding the full resolution in order to make the most of the bitrate they have... There is also a kind of artificiality with most of the titles - HD-DVD can look very smooth and filmic but Blu-Ray seems to be a level back from that.
Today I'll see if I have any D-Theater titles which I also have on Blu-Ray and see how the higher bit-rate of the tapes stacks up.
The player itself is very nice though - quick startup times and discs play quickly. Biggest downside for me is no RS232 control so now I have to build up the remote codes for my Crestron system.
If I had not seen HD-DVD then I suspect I would have been happier with Blu-Ray, but I have, and so now I am spoiled. This makes me even more concerned about the format war, because if Blu-Ray wins without being forced to improve their image quality then we all lose...
I've ordered a couple of the VC-1 releases to see how they look. I suspect this should raise Blu-Ray's image quality to that of HD-DVD but until we see all releases using the newer codecs my image quality ratings are as follows:
HD-DVD: 10/10 Blu-Ray: 7/10
Cheers,
Mark
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19 |
Is anyone going to the Amir presentation at PJ's on Wednesday? I am going to the 4pm presentation. I believe that there are still some free places for this. There are details on AVForums here .
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332 |
The issue with first wave of BD titles were the MPG2 but as of recently the newer releases are on par or even better then HD. I will name a few: Ice Age the Meltdown,Kingdom of Heaven: The Director's Cut,The Searchers,League of Extraordinary Gentlemen,Monster House,Mission Impossible III,Tears of the Sun. Theses are the titles I bought and although some are MPG2 but still it looks good.BD with my system is a knock out and mind you I have both system. Finally why does Scott has so many of his movies have directors's cut?... People for some reason go with VC-1 as a better codec then MPG2 ,but to my eyes I prefer the MGP2 and if you read this guy's review you agree with me. http://Bluray.highdefdigest.com/worldtradecenter.html
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1 |
I'll grab MI:III as I have the VC-1 HD-DVD so will be a great comparison for the MPEG2 Blu-Ray.
Mark
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1 |
"I tend to find MPEG-2 gives an image a slightly coarser, harder-edged look. Noise is a tad bit more pronounced versus VC-1, which gives off a smoother veneer. " He confirms my observations above... MPEG2 looks artificial compared to VC-1... Mark
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332 |
does the ps3 and stand alone Sony player support the advanced audio codecs out-of-the-box?...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314 |
I know the PS3 does- it has HDMI 1.3 out of the box. So I ask my cynical question again: With seemingly so much at stake in the format, look who undercuts most of the market place with a machine that not only can play back the discs, but can play them back with the newest spec (1.3, which means 1080p) and by the way, its also a world class gaming system that people want badly... I say: "Do one thing and do it well." "Jack of all trades, master of none. " "Do or do not, there is no try" btw- my feelings now having lived with the HD DVD for a little while- at least when comparing to HD Sat broadcasts (I know these are res and bitrate contstrained) and also comparing to the HD content on my Kscape- it comes with two HD documentaries I would say that VC-1 is much more in line with my preferences. I completely agree with the assessment Mark quoted above. I don't mind seeing film grain in an image, if thats how the original film/ movie/ is meant to look. But when its digital noise- thats not good. The Kscape gives a good chance for comparison because until I saw the image off the HD DVD I would have sworn to all of you that this was the best HD image I've seen. In just about every way the VC-1 is more in line with what I like. What I prize most of all is what I would call image stability- that is an absence of noise, ringing and ghosting, colors not smearing, details looking clean and crisp when appropriate. I would also add that I am a sucker for color depth. I still think DVD is the workhorse for the consumer marketplace, but I have forever been ruined by HD DVD- or probably more correctly VC-1. I am curious to see how H.264 stacks up. I think if you got a BR movie that is encoded in VC-1 the resulting image should be very similar and the differences will come down more to the players and perhaps any bit rate changes- the BR should allow for an even greater bit rate... It should be better. I still think both formats will join SACD and DVD-A as what I will call "curiosities" but for me just like with DVD-A which I enjoy, I will now, thanks to Mark, enjoy HD DVD. If they ever come out with Star Wars or LOTR on these I will be very pleased! best regards, Jerry
Best regards, Jerry Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467 Likes: 1 |
Originally posted by Just A Fan Of M Gear.: does the ps3 and stand alone Sony player support the advanced audio codecs out-of-the-box?... PS3 does, however, there is no 5.1/7.1 analog output; so until M offers an HDMI input .... Stand alone Sony player does not, yet!
My Kit: 861v8+ID41, 800v4, UHD722, MD600, MS600, MS200, Oppo BDP-203, Genesis 201, Genesis 350 SE, Genesis S4-8 Sub, BG 520i, VTL MB450 II, Krell Showcase 7, Genesis 928 Subs, Danley DTS10 sub, SVS Ultra 16 subs.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1 |
Originally posted by JerryL: What I prize most of all is what I would call image stability- that is an absence of noise, ringing and ghosting, colors not smearing, details looking clean and crisp when appropriate. Yes, yes, yes! When I watch a movie I don't want to be constantly reminded that I am watching a lossy compressed format, which was always my experience with MPEG2 on DVD. With VC-1 I have yet to see the codec intrude in any obvious or negative way - any deficiencies can be attributed to the film master or the projector/scaler. This is the closest to the original film we have yet seen... I see no reason why a Blu-Ray disc using VC-1 wouldn't also look as good and perhaps those attending the Amir Roadshow can ask him what his group is doing to encourage the Blu-Ray camp to adopt it... Mark
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332 |
With all these obvious reasons why people still buy BD players?.
|
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,168
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|