What's interesting to me is that I have tried playing computer games at resolutions far in excess of HD. I have a mac pro (awesome machine btw) and I use boot camp to play the EA sports games. I can play them at the full 2560x1620 res. They look fantastic on my LCD computer screen. To my eyes 1920x1080 for a computer game blown up on a bigger screen will look soft.

What I have observed here, and that is just a combination of reading articles and talking with friends and family, is that many are connecting the PS3/ 360 to regular SD tvs. I think a lot of people thing they are getting the full HD image when they don't even have the display capability to see it.

Manus- great idea, but I can only wish M could acquire Sony. If it were to be, we all know it would be the other way around. This COULD be a match made in heaven because imagine Sony with real high end product to sell, M to have more financial stability behind it- and I think M might have some perspective that would be fresh to Sony. But the risk is M is simply gobbled up and that the people (the real value to M IMHO) are ignored. frown

As to Sony making a profit- my understanding is the game consoles have a life of several years- how long between PS2 and 3? 6 years or so? They expect to lose money in the first few years and then to turn it into a profit center later in life because component costs come down from the fact that they are no longer cutting edge and economies of scale. However, Sony is in bad times right now- and they need the PS3 to be not just a hit, but a massive, grand slam home run- NOW. And it does not seem to be that.

best regards,
Jerry


Best regards,
Jerry
Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.