Quote
I already said in this thread I want to see Blu-ray win but the facts are there isn't enough room on a 25G disc to keep the Mpeg2 bit rate high enough to not have artifacts.
The Paramount Bluray releases seem to challenge this theory though. Although all VC1 on HD DVD (with the exception of U2 Rattle and Hum which on HD DVD is AVC) all their Bluray releases are MPEG2 with little or no discernable difference to those who have compared both versions. I`m not defending MPEG2. I too believe it dated and pointless. I find it amusing Fox released the director`s cut of Kingdom of Heaven hyping it as the format`s first 50gb disc this year, but because it was MPEG2 there was no room to port over any of the supplements from the four disc DVD release and as such the release did nothing to justify all the hype the Bluray camp had been giving their largery capacity for the last God knows how many years.

Sony`s Black Hawk Down too, in using both MPEG2 and LPCM on a 50gb disc instead of advanced codecs, managed to port some of the four disc DVD`s extras, but not all. Now I don`t care much for extras, but they are a big deal if either format is to appeal to the mass consumer, and frankly its inexcusable not to port what`s already available to the buyer on DVD given the struggle both HD DVD and Bluray face in trying to get people to upgrade from DVD in the first place. What`s more, both format`s tout their interactivity and supplements as a major selling point in advertising and Bluray consistently fails to deliver in this respect.

Both the above are, in fairness, said to be excellent reference discs both for video and sound.

I was amazed Fox/MGM had the audacity to release a barebones Bluray release of Rocky (single layer, MPEG2) for $40 the same day DVD got a new two disc collector`s edition. It`s hardly making for a good incentive to get as many people as possible to upgrade, and what`s more, in not adding that kind of content now, you know they`ll re-issue a title like that within eighteen months if the format is a success, and this time include the extras and probably do a better job of encoding the movie by re-doing it with VC1 or AVC.


Quote
When 50G disc ever come out then I'm sure it will look much better but I would still rather see them use one of the better codecs.
Well there`s about ten 50gb discs out there now, a few of them from Warner using VC1 (The Searchers, Unforgiven and Superman Returns). At least another dozen or so 50gb titles have been announced for release between now and the end of March, with more surely to be announced at CES. In Japan Disney announced 50gb releases of Face/Off and Cinderella Man using VC1, which is of particular interest as they`ve yet to use VC1 on any of their releases in the West, so these two Japanese releases could well be a hint of possible confirmation of the recent rumours that Disney will be siding with VC1 permanently in future.

Fox are using AVC for their 50gb release of Mr and Mrs Smith next year. They did announce From Hell as 50gb also using AVC, but it got postponed and has yet to receive a new date. Still, it is encouraging to hear of more dual layer discs using advanced codecs as it frees up a lot of room for the format to start meeting its potential.

I`m beginning to wonder if Sony might finally announce advanced codec support at CES as reports suggest they`ve been examining all the codecs again recently. CES would be a good time to do it. So long as they adopt advance codecs in time for a release of Lawrence of Arabia…


I`m not really too bothered which format wins, so long as one of them does win, and preferably as soon as possible. I`m eagerly awaiting CES as there`s every chance Bluray`s exclusive backers will announce some titles and news that gives the format the kick up the arse it is needing, though they have at least been steadily improving in the last few months. I actually just think it`d be nice if at CES they finally announced come Bluray releases not aimed at teenage boys. smile Warner seem to be bringing out the most diverse array of titles in HD at the moment to cater for various tastes, and I love them for that. I never dreamt titles like Forbidden Planet, The Searchers, Casablanca and The Adventures of Robin Hood would have made it to either format in their first year of existence.

Despite HD DVDs strong head start, I do think if Bluray`s backers play their cards right they cam steam to victory quite quickly. So far they`ve played a band hand and have suffered for it, but it`s still all to play for. I do get the feeling it`s going to be a very Blu CES.

Aside from greater manufacturer support amongst the biggest names, the sheer level of major titles the format`s exclusive content backers could announce in 2007 might be enough for these companies to effectively bully the consumer into siding with Bluray. Examining huge exclusives that can reach out to such a wide audience we know Disney will be bringing Pirates of the Caribbean to Bluray next year. There`s more than enough evidence to prove that (at least the first movie anyway) and they`re promising a number of major catalogue announcements for CES. Next summer sees the theatrical release of Spider-Man 3, which means Sony will surely have all three out on Bluray before the end of the year. They`ve still to release The Davinci Code, and Casino Royale will be an absolutely huge title.
Fox are a little less easy to predict, but again they`re promising some big content for CES and we could perhaps look to their D-Theatre content for hints (Alien? Moulin Rouge?). Die Hard 4 hits cinemas next summer. Would it be wrong to expect its predecessors on Bluray by the time of it`s release? I wouldn`t think so. Couple all that with the fact whatever Paramount and Warner announced for HD DVD will come to Bluray as well, you`re left with Universal as HD DVDs only major exclusive studio backer. As strong a catalogue as they have (I`d love to see their Hitchcock library and classic monster films come to HD), their greatest assests are arguably films Spielberg has directed and co-produced, titles which - as we saw with DVD - his people are unlikely to give the go ahead for release until the install base of the format has reached a certain number (three million players if memory serves). This may leave HD DVD short on exclusive big name titles to barter with.