logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 18 of 30 1 2 … 16 17 18 19 20 … 29 30
#47829 2006-12-14 14:47
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 526
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 526
Quote
Do all the HD formats re-encode for the compressed stuff? Or is it actually recorded on medium. Does blu-ray do it different than HD-DVD?
Bluray players certainly don`t re-encode the audio I know that much for certain as the format deals with the Dolby codecs differently to HD DVD. Quite why both formats handle Dolby differently seems to be related to packetizing constraints in HD DVD which lead to the necessary mandate of DD+ for the format. Direct your eyes to page 6 of the whitepaper that breaks down how the codecs are implemented in each format.

http://www.dolby.com/assets/pdf/tech_library/DPlus_TrueHD_whitepaper.pdf

Quote
Is this a toshiba (who seems to build almost every HD-DVD out there) only thing?
It`s certainly what the Toshiba and RCA (which was a re-badged A1) do yes. DD+ is converted to PCM and then to 1.5mbps DTS for use over coax/optical. The Xbox 360 I believe downmixes everything to 448kbps (it might even be lower than that actually). Microsoft have said they`re looking into implementing a DTS re-encoding solution for the 360 next year available I`d imagine in its next downloadable update. I`m actually not aware of any complaints about the real time encoding going on in the Toshiba units though.

#47830 2006-12-14 14:50
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639
Congrates Jerry! I'll bet the quality differences increase with the 1080p projector as Mark indicates. I'll be using a 1080P 3chip Ruby - Can't wait based on your review;
I'm out all day today (a big Disney outing overhere);

George - many of the BD titles caryy uncompressed LPCM multi-channel; The Panasonic player will output 7.1 analogue, otherwise it's a typical 'need HDMI' to get full bandwidth digital.

gotta run-
ken

#47831 2006-12-14 17:17
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
Ken,

I wasn't referring to full bandwidth stuff which is a whole other story. I just wanted to understand how the two formats feed the Coax/Toslink.

I have blu-ray discs that are several formats include one dics that says only LPCM. So what is coming out the optical output? Is Standard DD mandatory on all Blu-rays (even though it may not be listed on the cover)? Or is the player downmixing it to DD 5.1?


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
#47832 2006-12-14 17:28
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 526
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 526
I think with Bluray a lossy track is certainly mandatory, but whether it is Dolby, DTS or both is up the content provider. Fox's discs for example don't have Dolby at all, just DTS HD Master Audio which has lossy 1.5mbps DTS stream imbedded within it.

I'm not aware of Bluray players downmixing LPCM to DD 5.1. To the best of my knowledge if selecting LPCM on a Sony or Disney disc it'll only downconvert it to 2.0 PCM over coax/toslink.

#47833 2006-12-14 17:40
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
Quote
Originally posted by JerryL:
[QB] WOWOWOWOWOWOW

ITS HERE!!! THE HDDVD PLAYER JUST ARRIVED AT MY OFFICE!!!!

WHOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I feel like a little kid. smile
Jerry:

Enjoy, I know I do my HD-A1.

For a real treat, hook it up to an internet connection, upgrade the FW to 2.0 and use analog outs into the IA45 or the analog ins if you have a G68. Sorry, I don't recall what processor you have.

Then you can get TrueHD which sounds, well, awesome laugh

Best,


Surround Music Fan/Computer Geek/Curmudgeon in training.
---
861v4, HD621, Panasonic BD-P55K, Toshiba HD-A35, Oppo HD990, Dish Network 622, Pioneer DV-668AV-S w/ DVD Upgrades mod, EW Fontaine II (x5), Velodyne DD-15 (x2), Seymour AV Ice blocks (x7)
#47834 2006-12-14 17:44
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
I should have caught up before posting my previous.

If you want something to really get your attention. Serenity isn't anywhere near the best that HD-DVD has to offer.

Aeon Flux, Batman Begins and King Kong all look dramatically better. Not that Serenity sucks by any stretch mind you, just that these look much better.

I have yet to watch V for Vendetta to comment on its PQ. The SD-DVD was a bit soft.

Cheers,


Surround Music Fan/Computer Geek/Curmudgeon in training.
---
861v4, HD621, Panasonic BD-P55K, Toshiba HD-A35, Oppo HD990, Dish Network 622, Pioneer DV-668AV-S w/ DVD Upgrades mod, EW Fontaine II (x5), Velodyne DD-15 (x2), Seymour AV Ice blocks (x7)
#47835 2006-12-14 17:57
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Thanks John. last night I ordered these (so Mark, your plot has worked! wink )

1 "The Bourne Supremacy [HD DVD]"
Bourne Supremacy; HD DVD;

1 "Batman Begins [HD DVD]"
HD DVD;

1 "Cinderella Man [HD DVD]"
Cinderella Man; HD DVD;

1 "U-571 [HD DVD]"
U571; HD DVD;

1 "Goodfellas [HD DVD]"
Frank Adonis; HD DVD;

1 "Friday Night Lights [HD DVD]"
Angie Bolling; HD DVD;

1 "The Fugitive [HD DVD]"
Mike Bacarella; HD DVD;

1 "Ray"
Curtis Armstrong; HD DVD;

1 "Backdraft (HD DVD)"
Kurt Russell; HD DVD;

1 "Seabiscuit [HD DVD]"
Royce D. Applegate; HD DVD;

1 "The Italian Job [HD DVD]"
Gregory Scott Cummings; HD DVD;

1 "Grand Prix [HD DVD]"
HD DVD;

1 "Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory [HD-DVD]"
Gene Wilder; HD DVD;

1 "Field of Dreams [HD DVD]"
HD DVD;

These are all movies I would watch repeatedly. I will be sure to really look out for Batman. Now how is Aeon as a movie? I understand its no Lawrence of Arabia but is it at least fun? If so I may add this for its reference qualities.

best regards,
Jerry


Best regards,
Jerry
Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
#47836 2006-12-14 18:43
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JerryL:
so Mark, your plot has worked! wink

One down, two to go laugh

Mark

#47837 2006-12-14 21:00
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Again my two cents.....

You all should seriously give BD a try. I don't understand why you guys buying so many HD titles all at once. I have both formats and BD's picture looks way much better then HD. You owe it to your self's to give BD a try. There are A lot of pluses for BD format. The Tosh is way too slow even with FW update. When BD prevails you guys wish you tried BD sooner.



#47838 2006-12-14 21:03
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
I believe that Batman Begins is the first HD disc (of either type) to be awarded 5/5 (reference quality) for both picture and sound (TrueHD) by WideScreenReview.

Mark_H. I think I'm already sold. I just needed pushing over one side of the fence... I mean, what's the point of owning a player of a superior format if I don't buy any discs?


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
#47839 2006-12-14 21:09
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Just a Fan,
I will probably give BD a try, but aside from The Fifth Element, I have not found a title that actually turns me on- this makes my putting it off easier. That and the hope that one format conquers the other and the other expectation that players will get better with time and I am in the process of altering my theater so I can afford to wait.

best regards,
Jerry


Best regards,
Jerry
Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
#47840 2006-12-14 21:31
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Hey Jerry. All this HD DVD posting has pushed you over 1000 posts! Congrats.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Page 18 of 30 1 2 … 16 17 18 19 20 … 29 30

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 151 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,169
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.053s Queries: 39 (0.027s) Memory: 0.8957 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-05 21:19:28 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS