Daniel,
My reaction is to say lets use a little imagination. Just look where things are going:

* better compression
* more broadband adoption
* larger hard drive capacity

etc. You know the arguments.

I'm not necessarily saying its going to be Apple, though they seem well positioned- and I have been using the computers since I was a youngster. Unlike some Mac fans, I dont *hate* non-Apple things. As a matter of fact, I find the best mouse comes from microsoft!

I guess we'll just have to sit back and enjoy the show.

Ken,
I agree- its not the best comparison ever, but not a bad milestone and the fact that its only one studio actually shows the strength of the argument. Imagine the sales differential if it was more than one studio.

Mark,
Your concerns about privacy are well founded. The only way I have found that is truly safe is to disconnect from everything. Even your automobile stores data on you now... I love my Kscape but they now know what movies I like, and by inference which ones I dont and how often I watch, and when. Btw- your cable company already knows this...

John,
I share your interpretation of Mr. Stuart's comments. I think he is right: make the most of what you have rather than focus on wishful thinking. It is a practical approach which I think is the only realistic approach.

Javier,
I cannot answer your question regarding audio quality because I am not using my Kscape for audio. Its a video server only in my system. I built my own audio server with a mac G5 tower. It works easily because I use my projector for navigation. But, if I may engage in supposition: the video quality on the Kscape video player is outstanding. The image quality might be better using the digital output to a cutting edge video processor, but, even with 480P component out, the deinterlacing is hard to beat and even with my plasma's A-D stage + scaling the image is very very good. As a matter of fact, you know the lines you often see on a 2.35:1 movie at the top and bottom of the image, they are almost eliminated with the K player. The Meridian 800 I have been using for years now has a very clean output and this looks cleaner to my eyes and sharper. I would expect that since their audio stage works off an uncompressed copy of the CD data, that plugging into a top processor would produce very good results and if you were using their analog out, I suspect they have at least good and probably very good D-A. In short, I think you will be pleased. Maybe you can tweak this to be even better, but my experience with the Kaleidescape is similar to with Meridian: its first class and they are not going to let you down. smile

best regards,
Jerry


Best regards,
Jerry
Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.