logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 30 1 2 … 11 12 13 14 15 … 29 30
#47769 2006-12-10 16:25
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639
Daniel -
good point - they each seem to be making their own transition stradegies. I hope they can all migrate to one of the new codecs soon. A couple of Disney fellows told me it's a question of when the specific movie encoding efforts started - if they started with mpeg2 they go ahead and finish it out; otherwise new efforts tend start with one of the new ones... should be interesting to watch it play out..

ken

#47770 2006-12-10 16:33
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Initially, you'll get a slightly different perspective from me that that from Jerry and Ken.

At the moment, my projector is a "lowly" Panny AE900 which is a stop-gap between my old AE300 and a 1080p model. So I'll be able to report on how much the differences in resolution and artifacts are visible on a "budget" 720 line device.

From February though, barring unexpected financial ruin, it will be the real deal - a JVC HD1 (aka RS1 in the States) 1080p DiLA with CRT-like blacks and 15000:1 contrast without a digital iris. [understatement]I imagine the differences between upscaled SD and HD will be considerable.[/understatement]

I'm also strongly considering replacing my 598 w/SDI (>�1000) with an Oppo 970 (�140) as my main SD video transport. Which says a number of things...

Better get working on my HD-DVD Xmas list!

Edit: http://www.jvc.co.uk/site/d-ila/ (drool!!!)


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
#47771 2006-12-10 16:49
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 526
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 526
Quote
A couple of Disney fellows told me it's a question of when the specific movie encoding efforts started - if they started with mpeg2 they go ahead and finish it out; otherwise new efforts tend start with one of the new ones...
That would make sense, yes. There have been rumours for a while that Disney might soon switch entirely to VC1. Perhaps we'll hear something on that front at CES.

I like Disney's fondness for lossless audio I must admit. It's a bit silly to use straight PCM rather than one of the new lossless compression codecs mind you, but at least they see lossless audio as being of importance. Same can be said for Sony, though like Disney they've been forced to fluctuate between providing 16bit and 24bit tracks if short on space.

Fox do well on that front too, with 24bit DTS HD Master Audio tracks on all their titles ready for the day we might actually be able to listen to them. If Disney and Sony used Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD MA they probably wouldn't ever have to resign themselves to using 16bit lossless tracks on some releases due to space restrictions. I'm still waiting for the day HD DVD starts providing some 24bit lossless tracks as bandwidth limitation seems to be forcing them to 16bit.

... and what it would be to have the option to hear such sonic delights on our Meridian gear. *sigh*

#47772 2006-12-10 17:20
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 519
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 519
Jerry - Great to hear your positive comments re the Kscape. I will be getting mine just next month. Please keep us posted, this is IMO (from what I've read so far), one of the best products to ever come around. Great stuff.

Looks like I was fourth on the list so I am out 8-(.

Will probably get it anyway, I am keen to see the format succeed as well - and Band of Brothers is the title I most highly anticipate.


Lumin A1, Shindo Aurieges, Sanders Loudspeakers. DSP5000.
#47773 2006-12-10 17:59
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
I've never seen Band of Brothers and, ironically, a large amount of it was actually filmed opposite my house on the old Hatfield Aerodrome...

A note was posted through our door informing us to expect "explosions" and the like for a couple of weeks! laugh


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
#47774 2006-12-10 18:10
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Oh wow- Plasmatico, you are in for a treat. When you get it setup, make sure to let it sit with a live internet connection for a little while to get the movie guide up to date. I was wondering why the first few movies I imported were not really recognized (no cover art). It took about 45 minutes before the artwork came. You also need to know they supply no remote- you need to supply your own. What configuration did you order? I got the 5U server with 6 750gb drives. This is proving to be enough for about 500 DVDs. I am adding 2 more 750GB drives.

You may want to know of this website:

http://www.kscapeowners.com/forums/

Kind of like the Hitchhikers. Run by an enthusiast. The KScape people do read it though.

I see parallels to the M gear. With Meridian you pay a premium for their expertise in audio and the software to decode it. With K you pay for the interface expertise.

Virus and all, Band of Brothers is terrific entertainment and also education. Each episode starts off with a brief interview with the real soldiers who fought and then they proceed on to the dramatization. The production value is terrific, but what makes it stand out to me is its all based on real events. It can even be applied to events today because the catalyst of "we were attacked" has been used to fight enemies that didn't necessarily and/ or directly attack us. Sorry for light smattering of politics. Tried to keep it out. The music is also beautiful. From a production stand point its like a "Saving Private Ryan" mini series- but IMHO this is even better than SPR. Even in lowly MPEG-2! wink

best regards,
Jerry


Best regards,
Jerry
Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
#47775 2006-12-10 18:56
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
I have a bit of bad news, and I know
"John Kotches was right about this" that BD and HD they both died in auto accident, the other car according to police that caused the accident was driven by SD DVD which survived the car crush.



#47776 2006-12-10 19:02
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
And the sad news was no one noticed. LOL

best regards,
Jerry


Best regards,
Jerry
Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
#47777 2006-12-10 19:43
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639
For those following along; VK and Jerry's XA1s & disks ordered / transactions complete - Kudos to you Mark - The ultimate Milky-Bar Kid smile .

I'll put VKs on slow cruise across the pond because I'm jealous of his soon-to-be-had JVC projector smile

ken

#47778 2006-12-10 19:44
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
that projector sounds like one hell of a machine!!! well done VK!

best regards,
Jerry


Best regards,
Jerry
Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
#47779 2006-12-10 20:07
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
This is off topic, but the JVC projector upgrade will be reasonably cost neutral. I'm in the process of reshuffling everything and clearing out my redundant kit. It will be quite a change:

Probable in:

JVC RS1/HD1
Oppo 970
Toshiba HD-XA1 wink
SkyHD

Possible out:

Meridian 598 w/SDI (pending Oppo evaluation)
Sky+ w/SDI
Crystalio VPS-2300
551 (sold)
556/24
562V.2 (possibly)
5KC
Panasonic AE900

I'm so glad the JVC has come along, and glad that I waited before making such a serious purchase... The technical spec is simply stunning and, for my requirements, I just cannot see a weakness.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
#47780 2006-12-10 20:28
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
VK,
The HD DVD player has gotten such a good write up regarding its scaling, maybe you dont even need the Oppo?

The tech/ unit of currency one can acquire today is really quite something. Btw- how far afield have we gone from the original topic here... sorry Just a Fan.

best regards,
Jerry


Best regards,
Jerry
Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
Page 13 of 30 1 2 … 11 12 13 14 15 … 29 30

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
6 members (BrokenDownAngel, Mr_Sukebe, Lord Polbrook, MVirgil, spinaltap, Colin Triggs), 199 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
GMT 6
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,167
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.063s Queries: 39 (0.038s) Memory: 0.8971 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-05 17:38:21 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS