Quote
Originally posted by Mark_H:

Go look up subjects such as mosquito noise, i-frame pulsing, macro blocking, digital noise reduction, chroma noise, vertical filtering, etc and it doesn't take long to realise that what we have with SD DVD is an artificial mess.
SD does look pretty good if you have nothing to compare it too. SD certainly is not bad. Most people watch contents of the film rather than analysing the technical merits of the compression techniques. Im long past the point that I sit close to the screen and tinker with the settings just to get it to look at its best. Joe public would largely not dream about doing this in the first place - often they don't even bother if they are connected via composite or RGB as long as they get a picture and it is better than VHS.

I hate to admit it that I have been part of the Freeview HD trial and have watched very little in HD simply because I would much rather watch something when I want to watch it rather than watching something in better quality at a specific time. Don't get me wrong, I can tell the difference, but at my normal viewing distance HD is not the huge leap that transition from 405 line b&w to 625 line colour was.

Obviously people will watch under different viewing conditions, but I would expect that mine are fairly typical for Joe public in that the TV does not dominate the room and I am not watching in a home cinema or stuck my nose so close to the TV that I am watching in iMax.

Thankfully I will not be looking up those topics so I can still enjoy my SD without my viewing enjoyment being ruined by worrying about the technical aspects.

No amount of HD vision in my living room will transport me into the feature - its limited by my surroundings. HD may take me one or two rows further forward, but no further. Sound on the other hand is much easier - I can just close my eyes and I will be there with front row seats.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).