Quote
Right now I buy exclusively HD-DVD, but if Blu-Ray gets their act together and starts to deliver image quality comparable to (or better!) than HD-DVD then I will be happy to switch. The one thing that scares me right now (beyond both formats failing) is that the Blu-Ray camp are showing no real intention of moving to VC-1, which is currently the better codec with the disc capacities available, and Blu-Ray's image is generally worse for the use of MPEG2. If Blu-Ray were to win the war and stick with MPEG2 then that would be a serious blow, unless they crack the 50gb discs and increase the bit rate sufficiently to catch up with the VC-1 transfers.
I found it amusing that Kingdom of Heaven, as good as it looks on Bluray, is MPEG2, and because of this codec choice for a film of this length it required a 50gb disc which they keep hailing as such a magnificent benefit over HD DVD, yet again because of the codec choice and a film that long, even on a 50gb disc the title is forced to be barebones, movie only with (admittedly, 24bit lossless) audio and nothing more than a trailer - effectively depriving people of all the content from the four disc DVD version. Now I don't make much time for extras, but that's hardly a good incentive to make a wider audience want to progress from DVD to an HD format if you're not at the very least going to offer them what they've already got and then add to that by delivering new ways to access the features and above all, superior A/V quality.
A lot of Bluray titles are rather slap dash in this respect, where as I admire HD DVDs supporters for pretty much delivering all the same content from DVD versions in the HD releases of the same movie (there are one or two exceptions. Superman the Movie and King Kong for example). I'm hard pressed to find a Bluray title on release that doesn't make me think “they'll re-issue that in 18 months time with all the content from the DVD version, and possibly with a better video codec…” Mind you if it were not for Warner & Paramount supporting Bluray as well, particularly Warner, I'd be hard pressed to find any films on Bluray I didn't consider utter drivel.

I do hope CES is interesting.