|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1 |
Or, Joe Six pack will be living with his parents and have all that disposable income which isn't enough for a house for buying the new HD formats! 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13 |
But he will have to listen to his Parents Music (Radio Two). He wont like that! Solution: Lose your self with room filling iPod sound. HD just doesnt seem to fit this scenario I think you will agree. Like the Chancellor, these companies are always looking to squeeze more cash out of us. well there is a Limit and we are close to it. Cheers, Chris 
No 18 in the Hall of fame  I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1 |
Time will tell. I just sincerely hope the doom mongers are wrong.
Mark
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
Great Green Arkleseizure
|
|
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606 |
Mark:
I hope I'm wrong too. I would love to be able to purchase High Definition Optical Media as I have DVD over the past years.
Unfortunately the outlook isn't as rosy.
Cheers,
Surround Music Fan/Computer Geek/Curmudgeon in training. --- 861v4, HD621, Panasonic BD-P55K, Toshiba HD-A35, Oppo HD990, Dish Network 622, Pioneer DV-668AV-S w/ DVD Upgrades mod, EW Fontaine II (x5), Velodyne DD-15 (x2), Seymour AV Ice blocks (x7)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1 |
John,
Can you point to any press releases or articles which suggest that HD is failing? I am not aware of any and so take all comments as speculation. For my part, the birth of the formats can be as painful and protacted as it needs to be just as long as a format survives... I therefore remain optimistic that HD will survive and continue to buy and enjoy the films.
Mark
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332 |
Save the cheerleader save the world.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1 |
OK, you got me, what does that mean?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364 Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364 Likes: 14 |
Since so many homes now have 1080i or better I think HD DVD or Blu-Ray could stay.
Joe (Win Pack) will see a difference and movies are already near the price of DVD's.
Joe SixPack or WinPack never heard the difference or system to hear the advantages of DVD-A or SACD. But they even know it's much more fun watching a movie on a 60" 1080i screen (even a cheap one) than an iPod and the difference is very real. And very close to the same price as DVD.
BlockBuster and NetFlix will also help huge. I would not even consider it unless they were on board and they are. They really have to, to survive the HD age.
I never saw SACD and DVD-A in BestBuy and a-like. They didn't even know what it was.
But every modest gagetier knows about HD-DVD or Blu-ray. Seems like a lot more hype for Blu-Ray even though there are less titles. I think we will see $200.00 blu-ray players by next xmas.
- Fiddler (IMHO)
If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument. HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6 Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,560 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,560 Likes: 1 |
I hope your right George! I'm still on the wait and see since my projector can not get the most out of 1080p and upscaling my 598 looks damn good with DVD's. I'll eventually get one but not now. I want one format to win or a combination player to come out first.
Hey I purchased plenty of DVD-A's at my Best Buy! There were plenty of SACD's too! I haven't checked in a while though. I don't think there are any now but I might be wrong.
Ron
HT: 568.2mm (Revelation One filter), 518x2, SB3, Bryston 7BSTx3, 8BST, Aerial 10T, CC3, SW12(Qty2) w/SVS AS-EQ1, MK Tripole x4. JVC RS1u, DVDO Duo, Oppo 103 w/Vanity103HD, Sony PS3, VIP 3D Theatre, Acer H5360. Logitech Ultimate Remote and Hub.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639 |
I hope so too George; One factor in our favor is there is a lot of money involved; maybe this will be enough to move things forward... shortly, the studios will be the determining factor as the hardware matures next year....
ken
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 148
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 148 |
Once I saw that PS3 screwed up on 1080i, I decided to definitely go with HD-DVD
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 691 Likes: 4
Formerly Meridian506 Paranoid android
|
|
Formerly Meridian506 Paranoid android
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 691 Likes: 4 |
Mark,
It's a reference to the show "Heroes" here on NBC. I'd assume Sky or C4 have signed it up for the UK. Great show!
David.
Living room: DSP5000.3 WFH Office: M33 Bedroom: P200ZQ
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
274
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,201
Posts297,162
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|