|
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3 |
Hi guys. First post here and looking for some help.
Looking to buy a decent AV processor secondhand, and the choice is coming down to a 565 / 561 or a Tag AV32R. The thing that sways me to the Tag is knowing I can sort out my (plasma) lipsync issues. Am I right in thinking that the Meridians only offer a 12ms delay for sync? I need around 60ms.
Assuming I could work around the lipsync issue (I have one Felston box, I could buy more I guess), are you all about to convince me that the 561 or even 565 will beat the AV32R hands down for sound quality? For the purpose of this I'm only interested in multichannel, not any improvement in pure stereo.
Many thanks for all your responses
Dave
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 325
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 325 |
Just checked my 861 which goes to 85ms delay for lipsync.
Think you need to hear what you like to buy and not listen to us though.
Decisions about M vs Tag however would more likely revolve around who owns the factory now, especially when technology moves forward and you need the next upgrade.
All is good however!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3 |
I think an 861 is rather beyond my means sadly. As I will most likely be buying without hearing (unfortunately) I am hoping to hear from anyone who faced a similar decision. Either way I'll be stepping up from my Sony receiver so it's a risk I'm prepared to take.
Does Meridian kit have "a sound" to it? (in the way that the Naim kit I've heard is very distinctive - not that I'm that keen I hasten to add). Is it laid back, smooth, punchy, highly detailed, exciting, relaxing.....?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 325
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 325 |
I have not heard Naim myself. I'm not sure either about Meridian sound. I suppose since I don't recognise one, I guess it would be more realistic to call it accurate - not trying to advertise the brand here you understand.
I think the DSPs have a more distinctive sound, one I liked, but ultimately decided against. Again, accurate, fast, very low noise floor, possibly even clinical if you wanted to be critical.
If you are buying without hearing, I'd buy at a reasonable price that you know you could get again if you need to sell it. There is not much to dislike about the kit however, the only reason you'd sell is to upgrade, or because you like something else better. M kit won't make anything else you have sound bad.
Good luck!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579 Likes: 22
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579 Likes: 22 |
Hi Lord Fluff Welcome to the forum. The later processors (568 and 568.2) have 30ms correction, and you can set an audio delay in numbers of frames via software when setting up the machine. You still then have 30ms to play with in addition to that via the front panel. I'd have thought that the combination should get the level of correction you need. You'd be as well to check the 565 manual to verify that this feature was available as it is of course an earlier model. http://www.Meridian-audio.com/handbooks/565user.pdf Cheers George PS Manuals are available to download on the Meridian site for pretty much the full range of 500 series kit.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3 |
Thanks George. I now gather there is two layers of correction - overall and also by input. This should be more than sufficient - hurrah!
Do you need to set this up by PC or can you do it via the remote? How easy and reliable is the PC setup method?
Now I just need someone to convince me that the 561 sounds better than a Tag and I'll be set ;-)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 19
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 19 |
I've never had a problem with the Meridain software setup, very straight forward and understandable, just remember to cycle the power on the processor after connecting the data lead to the pc. this has seamed necessary on some occasions for me. As for the TAG vs M decision, when I was checking it out for myself a few years ago, I obviously fell for the M 568. At the time I was comparing the combinations of DVD players & processors. IMHO the TAG DVD just pipped the 596 but the sound was better from the Meridian. One dealer chap had a TAG for himself and was plugging it to me, I visited the shop several months later and spoke to the same guy, he was asking if I wanted to buy his processor, he wanted to swap to a 568 Meridian!
598DP SDI, 568.25MM, Crystalio II 3800, 435 XDE (soon to be 50pf20?), NVA A80 x 8, AE2's, AE2 Pro, AE1's.
|
|
|
|
2 members (Step635, Floris),
377
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,184
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|