I’ve never heard that the centre in Trifield is just to compensate crosstalk - do you have a reason for thinking this?

I think it’s really important to differentiate between music and movie usage. Most multichannel processors are heavily geared towards movie use, which is understandable. Meridian was one of the few who designed their multichannel processors from the ground up to excel at music reproduction, partly because at the time they had skin in the game with DVD-Audio. They were always renowned for superlative performance with music as well as movies.

EBA is excellent, and one of the best reasons to get into newer DSPs. Subjectively, with 7200.2s when I had a pair, it seemed to produce a wider and taller soundstage, but perhaps slightly less depth. Of course that was in one room, I’ve heard others say it inproves stereo image depth in theirs - room acoustics can never be ruled out. I almost always had EBA turned on, there were a few rare recordings when it sounded better off, but that was personal preference not right or wrong.

I also still very much think MRC is excellent and does its work without changing mids/treble or the overall character of the system.


HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES
2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports.
Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502