Clutching at straws a bit here asking how many people have experience with the Ultra DAC?
Looking at historical posts here it seems not many here use one.
I have an all-analogue system, currently 800v4-861v8 (CD/DVD/HT combined use).
I'm contemplating doing what some others have done here ; bypass the 861 entirely and buy an 808v6, 818v3 or Ultra DAC for CD playback direct to my analogue power amp and speakers (within an 861v8 system for HT use; SpeakerLinking the new box back through the V8 in this application).
I've seen some posts here where some have experience from 861v8 to 818v3 and 808v6 but all with DSP speakers.
My gear is all analogue.
- Does anyone have experience moving from an 861v8 to 818v3/808v6 or Ultra DAC via only analogue gear?
Ultimately, I really enjoy the sound, tonality (in the context of warm, bright, neutral) of my 861v8 - to me it sounds juuust right. I don't want to change this. But if I could just get "better", for CD..
I would jump at the chance.
I don't stream at all (ID40/41) as to my ears it is clearly inferior to CD via 800v4-861v8.
I remember a post from 3D here awhile back who said the sound from 818v3 was actually smoother(?) than 861v8, but on DSP's - not something I want. My system is just right and I would not want it any warmer/smoother at all.
Noting any one of these 3 new boxes is an expensive proposition, I don't want to get this "wrong".
If anyone's used 861v8 to the latest 818/808 or ideally Ultra DAC on analogue, and would care to share their opinion on the change, I would love to hear from you ! 🙂 (Particularly re: tonality as referred above).
I'm wondering if the Ultra DAC in the above application is worth the extra expense.
I say the following without disrespect - I've read much ballyhoo from people on this site about the Ultra DAC ..... but seemingly based on their reading of press releases and marketing adverts. (Mostly people drooling about it in concept). But, has anyone actually heard/used/own one here, and care to describe its sound?
Is Ultra DAC worth the extra expense over 818v3/808v6 via analogue and, what if hypothetically the Ultra DAC was close in price to these? Would that make a difference on which you choose? Why?
Thanks so much. 🙂
Andrew
Last edited by Doobie; 2024-07-03 10:15.
800v4, 861v8, HD621, PS3 slim, analogue speakers, Anthem P2 Amplifier (2 Channel), Proceed BPA-3 Amplifier (3 Channel), 2x HSU VTF-15 Mk2 subs, 2x HSU VTF-3 Mk5 subs, 2x PSA XS30 subs.
|