|
|
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 111
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 111 |
Both my 3200s had a periodical buzz/hum clearly originating from the backplate, reported the issue to my dealer, he contacted Meridian who promptly agreed a replacement of the full backplate - both speakers are now fine, no buzz, no hum - thanks Meridian, great service…
818v3, Trinnov Altitude 32-16, 271, G68ADV, UHD722, DSP8000(U)SE, DSP5200 (SL), DSP5200HC (SL), DSP3200, 4xDSP320.2, G98, MS200, Prime HA, Ex2, 561, 598DH, 504, Roon Lifetime, Roon Rock, 218, Oppo 103, Panasonic UHD9000
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 342 Likes: 17
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 342 Likes: 17 |
Hi
Good to hear you were sorted by Meridian. My problem was different in that only one of my speakers suddenly produced this very very loud/ buzz noise. What was interesting is that Meridian wanted both speakers back. Also very recently l have heard of another 3200 producing a buzz and then giving up after being switched on after not being used for sometime.
l had mine for over 2 years after being bought second hand from a reputable Meridian dealer suggesting at least 3 years old.
An excellent speaker especially as rears but not without its problems?
Best
Colin Relham
#1 DSP9,7200HCSE Upgrade,G65, DSP3200, HD621, Oppo 105D Audiocom Signature BDP, Sky Q, etc. #2 Prime Headphone and Power Supply, Sennheiser 800. #3 F80 Director, Panasonic TXP60ZT65, 210, Zen Mk111, Chord 8 Switch, Roon, Tidal, Explorer2, Apple iPad Pro 2nd gen.Chord M6 mains block.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593 Likes: 13
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593 Likes: 13 |
Well I can officially add to this thread with the same issue as Relham
Loud buzzing from 1 speaker when out of standby. Luckily these were very recently bought from a local PP who will be speaking to Meridian on the issue. Also luckily they have a warranty period with them!
My serial number is
DSP3200-201404
The suspicious thing is that it is less than 400 away from the OP serial..
Will update in due course. Has anyone else had this issue?
Regards David
G65, 210, HD621, DSP5200.2, DSP3300C, DSP3200,
NUC 7i5 Roon Core, Apple TV 4K, Blustream SW41AB-V2, Panasonic TX55fx802, EE8 switch
Multiroom - Ms200, Nile’s ZR4 Bedroom - 251
|
|
1 member likes this:
Rolski |
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 47
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 47 |
I just experienced this [loud buzz] issue I have sent for repairs. I have had these White DSP’s for almost 10 years with zero issue.
861v8 || 818v3, UHD722, Oppo 105D, DSP8KSE L/R, DSP7200HCSE, DSP5K Rears, DSW, Kaleidescape Cinema One [x2], Roku4K, Apple TV || DSP6K - 2 channel, HD621 || Roon Core / QNAP TVS-872XT || 218 || MacIntosh CS200 || MacIntosh MI128 || DSP3200 L/R
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 297 Likes: 8
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 297 Likes: 8 |
Loud is relative I guess but how loud are we talking about? I now have 11 DSP3200s all purchased from new and they have all buzzed from day one. The buzz is noticeable in a quiet room, constant and doesn't vary in volume so is masked when anything is being played. I have always been annoyed with them as you can't really just sit and relax in the room without being aware of the speakers but I just accepted this as a characteristic of them.
Last edited by Marvin_the_Android; 2024-06-30 13:29.
Sources: MS600, Fidelity Audio Reference Oppo UHD-203, Roon/QNAP, AppleTV 4K Processors: Arcam AV40, 271 x2, Lumagen 5348 with Keces P8 Speakers: DSP7200SE FL/FR, DSP5200SE VC, DSP3200 x11, DSP320.2 VOG, DSW x4 Display: JVC DLA-N7 with PK-EM2, Panamorph Phoenix Pro, 128" 2.37 Curved Silver Ticket AT Screen
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 47
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 47 |
Good clarification and I should have been more clear. The noise is loud, no matter how I try to lower the volume, it’s a constant ~ 90+ decibels, mid frequency and constant until I shut off the speaker and/or zone. I have several Meridian zones and I believe I am familiar with the ever so slight ‘white noise’ hum from Meridian DSP’s. I was able to solve that in separate zones and with different Meridian speakers 100% with isolation transformers (i.e. Furman), but this is different and I will keep this group informed as to what the root cause was for this noise, and how it goes post remediation. It will take a few weeks possibly longer. I will say that having used these speakers extensively for ~ 10 years with zero issues until now, is very impressive these speakers have been terrific.
861v8 || 818v3, UHD722, Oppo 105D, DSP8KSE L/R, DSP7200HCSE, DSP5K Rears, DSW, Kaleidescape Cinema One [x2], Roku4K, Apple TV || DSP6K - 2 channel, HD621 || Roon Core / QNAP TVS-872XT || 218 || MacIntosh CS200 || MacIntosh MI128 || DSP3200 L/R
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 460 Likes: 18
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 460 Likes: 18 |
I had the same issue with a DSP5200HC. It was the capacitors in that case as well. Since it's an enclosed cabinet it does get warm in there and some of the capacitors used don't age well. It seems to affect the smaller capacitors close to the driver transistors the most. (The smaller ones in the center of the board). They originally have a gold color and turn dark brown/black due to overheating. You can see the larger ones on the edge have partly turned brown as well. Pictures of board with capacitors turned brown/black.
Last edited by MagnusB; 2024-06-30 16:27.
Main: Marantz Cinema 50, Meridian 271, DSP7200.2, DSP5200HC, DSP5000 rears, Meridian 210. PC/Headphones: Mytek Liberty II, Sansui CA-F1, Sansui B-2301, Sennheiser HD800, Kef R3
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2022
Posts: 195 Likes: 45
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Nov 2022
Posts: 195 Likes: 45 |
I also noticed a slight buzz primarily from the left hand driver on the DSP5200HC that I recently acquired. However, as part of my normal maintenance procedure, I removed the fibre grill (after some research) as it was not the usual removal with fingernails but identifying the recesses behind the fibre grill, I used a hex screwdriver to tighten all the screws surrounding the driver and hey presto! the buzz is no longer there (or noticeable).
DSP8000uSE, DSP5200HC, DSP33, DSW1500, 808v5, 861v4, WiiM Pro+, Panasonic 55" Plasma, DMP-BDT700 Blu-ray, MECOOL MEon1, Russ Andrews Signature Power Block, UltraFuses, SuperFuses, Kimber Signature PS Interfaces. Prior: DSP7000.2, DSP6000.2, DSP5000.2, DSP5000.2HC, 508.24, 568.2, 596, G98DH & G68D. Jaguar F-Type; Meridian 770W Surround System
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861 Likes: 375
Meridian Partner Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Meridian Partner Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861 Likes: 375 |
That is a first for me to hear of a driver loose enough to create an audible buzz.
www.cmbintegrations.comOne step from the Presidency #1 Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 8000XE, 7200SEHC, 7200.2, Seaton F18, JL Fathom F113, Revel w990's, Kef R7, ATI 528 Amp, JVC RS4100K, SI screen. Roon Nucleus+, Eno AG, Eno M link, 218. #2 Mark Levinson No5105, Ayre VX8 and CX8, Vandersteen Treo CT, Preamp varies. #3 Meridian Ellipse
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2022
Posts: 195 Likes: 45
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Nov 2022
Posts: 195 Likes: 45 |
Thanks Bruce, at the risk of contradiction, the source material where I noticed the buzz, was a Netflix stream on an episode of S.W.A.T which have now finished. I also had my ear directly in front of the driver at the time. Happy to say that I haven't noticed any distortion since, from Blu-ray, Netflix, CD or streaming via WiiM. However, only Netflix & Blu-ray utilise the centre. My 808 plays directly to DI1 bypassing the 861 completely. Not sure if any of this is of any interest to anybody at all but it has delayed my lunchtime walk on a very cold July day only 48 hours away from the greatest political disaster the UK may ever see!
DSP8000uSE, DSP5200HC, DSP33, DSW1500, 808v5, 861v4, WiiM Pro+, Panasonic 55" Plasma, DMP-BDT700 Blu-ray, MECOOL MEon1, Russ Andrews Signature Power Block, UltraFuses, SuperFuses, Kimber Signature PS Interfaces. Prior: DSP7000.2, DSP6000.2, DSP5000.2, DSP5000.2HC, 508.24, 568.2, 596, G98DH & G68D. Jaguar F-Type; Meridian 770W Surround System
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821 Likes: 94
Great Green Arkleseizure
|
|
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821 Likes: 94 |
The disaster you envisage will have to be catastrophic compared to the last 14 years of.......
AV: Thorens TD160B, SME, ShureV15MK2, 500, 598, 861v4, DSP7200.1, DSP3300HC Samsung UE55, SkyHD. DINING: MS600, AC200, DSP5200SEUG. STUDY 504, Roon Nucleus + RevB, 808v6, 5200SE, Mac & PC (Touch Screen), Prime+PS Grado GS1000i HORIZONTAL: M80, MS200, Red Rose Spirit + Sonus Faber Toys, iPad Mini A capella to Zydeco
|
|
2 members like this:
3dit0r, Rolski |
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 132 Likes: 31
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 132 Likes: 31 |
That's the transformers humming. they all do it, but some are louder than others. My DSW made an intolerable hum from the backplate, but a DC blocker, some judicious tightening of the transformer bolt and a bit of compliance in the mounting of the backplate has reduced it to inaudible except when the room is "middle of the night" quiet. Nothing else I own has an issue with my mains supply, so I'll need to investigate further, but the transformer in the DSW is pretty marginal for the power rating, so it could be just more susceptible to an issue that everything else ignores.
My 3200s and 3300 are mechanically silent unless you press your ear to them. The results, as others have noted can be dependent on how the backplate is placed in the cabinet and the tightness of the retaining bolts. It's worth doing a bit of non - invasive trial and error to see if you can reduce it.
Lounge: G61RSL, DSP3200, DSP3300, DSW, HD621+Vertex2, SBT, Kef Ci160. Office: DSP33, D1500, SBT Archive: 568.2m, 562v3, 562v, DSP3100
|
|
|
|
1 members (ChrisSwain),
635
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,182
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|