logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 468
Likes: 12
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 468
Likes: 12
Hi Rick,

Is your MSRP of £17,500 inclusive of VAT for a pair or per speaker ?

If ordered now, when would be expecting to see delivery ?

Price List history always shows US pricing to be higher than the UK pricing.

If the UK price is for a pair inclusive of 20% VAT which is normal, then our USA brothers are paying a huge "freight" cost, once circa 10% Sales Tax is added, bringing the price to US$33,000. Currently this is the equivalent price of £27,430 cry

That is an equivalent markup of 56.7%. What tha !

Cheers,
Steve M


#1: 8000s, 5500HC, 8000s, 861v8, 800Dv4, HD621
#2: 6000s, 6000C, 5000s, 6000s, 568.2mm, 598DP, 511
#3: 5500s, 5000C, 5000s, 561, 800v3, 518
1 member likes this: ISB
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,165
Likes: 67
Meridian Partner
Senior Shouting Officer
Meridian Partner
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,165
Likes: 67
Hi Steve,
You have PM and email
Rick


Audio Images, 284 Glossop Road, Sheffield, England. Tel: 0114 273 7893
Website: www.audio-images.co.uk Email: Click here to email Rick
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 702
Likes: 13
ISB Offline
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 702
Likes: 13
I wonder whether Meridian will come out with an XE version of and upgrade kit for 7200’s or 5200’s


Cheers, Ian

1: Roon on Mac Studio, G-Drive 10TB, 818v3, 7200.2, UHD722, LG 77G4
2. 808.6, 8kSE
3. 218, 3200's
4: Rivian R1T - 18 speaker 1200W Elevation by Meridian premium sound system
5. G68ADV (croaked), G98DH (also croaked), [HD621, Syles SL-S/PDIF, MD600 (2*4TB), QNAP 469L (4*3TB), MS200], Ayre MX-R Twenties, TBD
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861
Likes: 375
Meridian Partner
Vogon Civil Servant
Meridian Partner
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861
Likes: 375
If they follow suit as they did with the SE versions, then yes.


www.cmbintegrations.com
One step from the Presidency
#1 Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 8000XE, 7200SEHC, 7200.2, Seaton F18, JL Fathom F113, Revel w990's, Kef R7, ATI 528 Amp, JVC RS4100K, SI screen. Roon Nucleus+, Eno AG, Eno M link, 218.
#2 Mark Levinson No5105, Ayre VX8 and CX8, Vandersteen Treo CT, Preamp varies.
#3 Meridian Ellipse
1 member likes this: JaapJan
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,165
Likes: 67
Meridian Partner
Senior Shouting Officer
Meridian Partner
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,165
Likes: 67
Originally Posted by ISB
I wonder whether Meridian will come out with an XE version of and upgrade kit for 7200’s or 5200’s
I don't think there are any plans for Meridian to release Performance Pack upgrades for DSP5200, DSP7200 or any other DSP speakers apart from the DSP8000.
Rick


Audio Images, 284 Glossop Road, Sheffield, England. Tel: 0114 273 7893
Website: www.audio-images.co.uk Email: Click here to email Rick
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 702
Likes: 13
ISB Offline
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 702
Likes: 13
Originally Posted by AudioImages - Rick
Originally Posted by ISB
I wonder whether Meridian will come out with an XE version of and upgrade kit for 7200’s or 5200’s
I don't think there are any plans for Meridian to release Performance Pack upgrades for DSP5200, DSP7200 or any other DSP speakers apart from the DSP8000.
Rick

That would be a shame. I would have thought much of the development work already done for the XE could be applied to their other DSP's could have been more broadly leveraged that way. There must be a much bigger market for upgrade kits than 8000's.


Cheers, Ian

1: Roon on Mac Studio, G-Drive 10TB, 818v3, 7200.2, UHD722, LG 77G4
2. 808.6, 8kSE
3. 218, 3200's
4: Rivian R1T - 18 speaker 1200W Elevation by Meridian premium sound system
5. G68ADV (croaked), G98DH (also croaked), [HD621, Syles SL-S/PDIF, MD600 (2*4TB), QNAP 469L (4*3TB), MS200], Ayre MX-R Twenties, TBD
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
I suspect a lot of the design could be ported over and I would love a 7200XE to happen.

Trying to think about it from Meridian's perspective, I suspect the cost of creating a 7200XE would still be quite high as the design of the cabinet changed on the 8000XE and would need redesigning for a 7200XE too. I also suspect they have an eye on the retail pricing and I wonder whether a 7200XE could end up being uncomfortably close to the cost of an 8000XE. Finally, building new speakers are relatively risky projects compared to where I suspect they now make most of their money.

A 7200 performance pack would be enticing for many, but would also require some investment and I don't know how much revenue they've generated from the performance pack built for the DSP8000's. I don't recall seeing anyone on this forum commenting on getting this done.

Don't get me wrong, a 7200XE would be amazing, but I can see why they might hesitate before committing.


Prolific music listener / Hi-Fi addict!
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 958
Likes: 5
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 958
Likes: 5
The cabinet for the new 8Ks are made of the same material and in the same dimensions as SEs(and versions)except for mounting hardware modifications, and, in the case of XEs the woofer holes were made larger. I had this discussion with Marc Koval recently. My apologies to him if I misquote him. Seems the same would apply to the smaller models except the larger woofers may be an issue.

Last edited by Mtns; 2023-03-17 20:36.

James
NC1: 861v8, ID41, 218, 251(to outdoors), DSP8000SEUG, 7200SEC, DSP520 rears, Apple TV, DirecTV, Oppo BD103, QNAP251, Roon
NC2-M7005, Triad Silver Speakers,Acurus Amps

FL1: 861v4, ID40, 218, MS200, DSP8000SEs, DSP7200SEC, DSP5000s, DirecTv, AppleTv, OppoBD103, QNAP469, Roon
FL2: Marantz 7005, 251, M60s,60C,33s, Oppo BDP-93,MS200, Roon
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 702
Likes: 13
ISB Offline
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 702
Likes: 13
I suppose that I was thinking more of a performance pack than full 7200XE development. I made the assumption that the tweeter is shared between DSP's which I realize may be erroneous. If it is shared, then presumably the 8000XE's tweeter could be used. If not, then that would be a much bigger development deal. I was also assuming that the DSP and amplifier modules internally shared architecture across the range such that modules developed for the 8000XE might also be applied to the lower models. Is this an erroneous assumption? Power supplies? Even if much architecture is currently shared, I recognize that packaging, integration and validation alone are perhaps more of an investment than Meridian believes to be justified. I generally view opportunities to reapply development work already performed positively given the significant costs presumably already expended.


Cheers, Ian

1: Roon on Mac Studio, G-Drive 10TB, 818v3, 7200.2, UHD722, LG 77G4
2. 808.6, 8kSE
3. 218, 3200's
4: Rivian R1T - 18 speaker 1200W Elevation by Meridian premium sound system
5. G68ADV (croaked), G98DH (also croaked), [HD621, Syles SL-S/PDIF, MD600 (2*4TB), QNAP 469L (4*3TB), MS200], Ayre MX-R Twenties, TBD
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 958
Likes: 5
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 958
Likes: 5
Sorry I was silent about my response assuming new electronics and a new tweeter would be in any upgrade. The other variant to me not having heard the XE OR PERFORMANCE PACK, is it worth the cost given a lot of the extra performance is in the bass, given the smaller speakers with smaller woofers and less amplification.


James
NC1: 861v8, ID41, 218, 251(to outdoors), DSP8000SEUG, 7200SEC, DSP520 rears, Apple TV, DirecTV, Oppo BD103, QNAP251, Roon
NC2-M7005, Triad Silver Speakers,Acurus Amps

FL1: 861v4, ID40, 218, MS200, DSP8000SEs, DSP7200SEC, DSP5000s, DirecTv, AppleTv, OppoBD103, QNAP469, Roon
FL2: Marantz 7005, 251, M60s,60C,33s, Oppo BDP-93,MS200, Roon
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Originally Posted by Mtns
The cabinet for the new 8Ks are made of the same material
True, however, I suspect there is more to it for a few reasons:

a) As you mentioned, the cutout for the woofers have changed - as has the cut out for the display (now replaced by a glowing logo)
b) The material used is a sandwich of alternating wood/metal layers glued with resin which means they can't simply change the woodwork, but rework the build process (with all the SQ testing that goes with it)
c) The panel of the DSP8000XE simply won't fit the DSP8000 models - I seem to recall this is, in part, down to the new transformers used

I was talked through the new panel in a visit to their HQ and they really have redesigned the boards in a very significant way. I believe the 8000XE is an example of what they could achieve when not working to a particular price point. For this reason, I'd love to see as much as possible trickle down.


Prolific music listener / Hi-Fi addict!
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Originally Posted by ISB
I suppose that I was thinking more of a performance pack than full 7200XE development
My assumption has been that any development of a 7200XE would be to keep them ahead of the game - and that is would be what could lead to a 7200 performance pack (as opposed to creating a limited-time performance pack upgrade that would be sold to existing customers only)

Originally Posted by ISB
I was also assuming that the DSP and amplifier modules internally shared architecture across the range such that modules developed for the 8000XE might also be applied to the lower models. Is this an erroneous assumption? Power supplies?
I would be surprised if they didn't share similar circuits for similar types of amplifiers, however I doubt the amps are physically modular as they have differing output levels and there are a varying numbers of amps needed for the different speakers. This suggests that the boards would likely be similar conceptually, yet different at an implementation level. I would imagine the same would apply to their power supplies (different sized transformers etc)

Originally Posted by ISB
I recognize that packaging, integration and validation alone are perhaps more of an investment than Meridian believes to be justified. I generally view opportunities to reapply development work already performed positively given the significant costs presumably already expended
This may turn out to be the case. My expectation is that they will continue to advance and use what they've learnt when building the 8000XE to move forward. It may not be the 'no holes barred' approach that makes the DSP8000XE the speaker it is, given the smaller brethren (almost by definition) need to be built to a lower price point than the DSP8000XE's


Prolific music listener / Hi-Fi addict!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 503 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,204
Posts297,193
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.048s Queries: 42 (0.025s) Memory: 0.8925 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 13:19:52 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS