logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#300064 2021-04-28 21:41
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 19
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 19
I have the chance to but a pair of M3's in good condition, but unable to demo frown
I understand their limitations size wise, but would be grateful for any insite into their sound. I am also familiar with the KEF drivers, but not in this configuration.
I already have a pair of DSP500's.
Views on sound quailty would be most welcome


101/105
Magman888 #300071 2021-04-29 08:35
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 715
Likes: 16
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 715
Likes: 16
Hello

I have a pair of M30's that are similar. They have a great early Meridian sound. Warm yet detailed. I would recommend them as well as the M3. When I can can I now intend to pass them on to my daughter in the UK.

I carefully cleaned out the tweeters and replaced the ferrofluid that was a worthwhile hour of work.

Best wishes from Spain

Neil


1) MS200, G65, Revivers, DSP5000.2, DSP5000C.2, DSP3100, D1500, SME10/IV.

2) Mac Mini (Roon), Explorer 2, Sennheiser HD6XX.
Neil H #300075 2021-04-29 11:30
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 578
Likes: 12
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 578
Likes: 12
Hi

I had a pair of M3s on stands and enjoyed the warm, clear sound in my study, therefore quite a small room. However, they had been completely refurbished and the cabinets had been changed to Piano Black lacquer. They sold for approximately £330.00 last year.

I also have a pair of M60s, which are similar but a bigger presentation.

I note that you have a pair of DSP5ks, if they are 18bit, these again in my opinion give a warm, clear sound. The 24bit versions are quite a lot more precise, in particular the treble/tweeter.

Taking into account that these M3s are likely to around 40 years old, unless they have been serviced, the sound will have degraded over time and you should factor that into the price you are prepared to pay.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Jon


Owner since 1996 - 501, 506 and M60.2 Rosewood - Thanks Gerry
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 124
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 124
Likes: 1
I still have a pair of M3s, albeit not in use.

To add to LP’s comment, I’d say the sound from the M3s is quite “punchy”. Lacks base, but enough to thoroughly enjoy.


William
808.6,HD621, Oppo 103EU, DSP5200SEs, DSW.2; 218, DSP3200s, Oppo 105D, Panasonic PVR, Panasonic plasma; F80
WilliamS #300122 2021-05-01 00:16
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 19
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 19
Thanks all for the comments, I would certainly not be advesed to servicing them. Owner is asking $600 Canadian about 350 UKP, nice condition all original - sound about right?
M


101/105
Magman888 #300135 2021-05-02 05:23
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 854
Likes: 5
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 854
Likes: 5
Fellow Canadian M fanboy here Magman888. While my DSPs are long gone, I still have many pairs of Kef driver based legacy Meridian actives in regular use in our households and my wife's and my own offices. Considering that a healthy pair of M3s will run rings around any highly touted LS3/5A variant (at $2-3k) plus partnering amplifier, $600 CAD for a pair of M3s in good working order is a steal.


2ch: Jay's Audio CDT2 Mk3, PS DirectStream Dac, Oracle Delphi VI/SME V/Benz LP-S, Coincident Statement Linestage, Foundation Research V5 Phono, JL Audio CR-1 xover
M-ch: OppoMod 203, Anthem AVM60, 2x 557
2x or 5x ATC SCM20ASL mk2, 4x SCM12i, 4x Seaton Submersive HP, AM2.0 sub EQ
Video: JVC X990, Isco 3L A-lens/sled, 105" motorized 2.37:1 AT screen
1 member likes this: Neil H
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 146
Likes: 10
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 146
Likes: 10
What Vince said about the value and performance of the M3.

I had a pair for many years before (rashly) selling them in a bout of upgrade-itis, and regretting it ever since.

M3s need good damped stands, the sound is warm as others have described, and for their era they image remarkably well - far better than anything else comparable at the time. They're surprisingly punchy, but the bottom half octave is basically missing altogether ... when a bass player walks down the notes, anything below about 30-35Hz just disappears and you only really get the second-order harmonics. Above that point, it's all beautifully balanced.

I never found a sub that matched their warmth and character, and the larger M2s never really did it for me - I thought they had a muddiness that never compensated for the better bass extension. YMMV.

Practically every pair of M3s still in existence will need refurbishing, but in my highly biased opinion they're worth every penny you'll spend on getting them back to peak performance. Enjoy! smile


Office: MacMini + Roon -> MS600 -> AR LS-9 -> M60s (1993 vintage)
Home: [AppleTV -> HD621] + [Roon -> 218] -> G65 -> DSP5200HC + DSP5200s + DSP3200s
Being a JAFA in Auckland, New Zealand
1 member likes this: Neil H
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 854
Likes: 5
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 854
Likes: 5
And in turn, I'll second @Kent in Welly's on-point comment about great stands for the M3. The low single pillar M3 factory stands (with their jaunty tilt) don't really do the M3 any favors.
A pair of old school 4 pillar 24" Target R4 stands, mass loaded with sand or shot, will eke out audibly obvious performance gains.


2ch: Jay's Audio CDT2 Mk3, PS DirectStream Dac, Oracle Delphi VI/SME V/Benz LP-S, Coincident Statement Linestage, Foundation Research V5 Phono, JL Audio CR-1 xover
M-ch: OppoMod 203, Anthem AVM60, 2x 557
2x or 5x ATC SCM20ASL mk2, 4x SCM12i, 4x Seaton Submersive HP, AM2.0 sub EQ
Video: JVC X990, Isco 3L A-lens/sled, 105" motorized 2.37:1 AT screen
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 19
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 19
Thanks for all the comments - i think i might just get them laugh I will keep you posted


101/105
Magman888 #300824 2021-06-10 22:13
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 19
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 19
M3's had sold, seller had not removed Ad cry
Will keep looking though


101/105

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Carl, JCD, Oracle64), 186 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
GMT 6
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,201
Posts297,161
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.047s Queries: 37 (0.025s) Memory: 0.8735 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-04 22:34:30 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS