|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171 |
I'm with you. I recently "downgraded" from 7200.2/818v3 as I'm going towards a full surround Trifield setup (as in signature). I'd been using the above-mentioned Harbeths on the end of my Oppo BDP-105/Avondale power amp for a bit and found them a very enjoyable listen while we moved house and got our new place organised, but then I plugged in a stereo pair of DSP3100 (which will be the rear speakers in the final surround system) while waiting for 5Ks to arrive.
Honestly, I'm blown away by these little guys - they reach down low and clean, even without a sub, and image marvellously, all while retaining that Meridian balance from top to bottom and that sense of 'polish' Meridian gear always seems to possess. That's just run direct from the Oppo, with the standard Meridian S5 lead linking the speakers and a Belden 1694A/Canare from the player to Master speaker. They're standing on Ikea coffee tables. The power leads and conditioning are the only things which are expensive/non-standard. Honestly, they sound really, really good - to me a powerful argument for an integrated approach as long as the design is led by someone with tasteful ears!
HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES 2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports. Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 139 Likes: 20
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 139 Likes: 20 |
I believe in the concept of an active DSP speakers as well. When I was deep into audio I ignored Meridian, they where strange, everything inside the speakers, no way to tune. I had a typical "box collectors" system consisting of audio research LS16 preamp, Cello duet 350 power amp (very good amp) and B&W nautilus 802 speakers. It sounded good, but never so good that the speakers disappeared. When there where congested sections in the music I always turned down the volume.
As a downgrade, I sold everything and wanted something cheap and small without stacks off equipment. Bought a set of 18bit DSP5000's for only 750euro that I connected directly to my laptop only using a USB-SPDIF converter. It was planned as a downgrade but I was shocked what happened. Suddenly everything I didn't like about my former system wasn’t happening. The music sounded better integrated and much smoother, just more real. And the power for such small box is also incredible of the DSP5000. Since then I have never looked back and kept buying M DSP speakers.
That doesn't mean passive systems can't sound great. They can, but they need a lot of tuning and experimenting. That maybe the only downside when buying a set of DSP's. There is little to mess around with. No tuning, no upgrading of parts of the chain. You just place them and they sound fantastic. It is for audiophiles that got enough of the boxes.
Gr. D
Last edited by Mimesis; 2020-10-11 10:06.
Main: DSP8000SE< 218 < Farad Super3 TMCB < PS Audio P10. Room correction: Focus Fidelity. Second: Fostex Fe206NV2 < Audio innovations 500 valve amp < Wiim Pro + Study: DSP33 < Reviver < MS200 Server: ROCK + Tidal on NUC, fiber on 2x cisco 2960, HD-Plex LPS. Gone: DSP7200SEu, DSW, DSP5500mkI & DSP5000mkI, 508.20, 210
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 276 Likes: 4
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 276 Likes: 4 |
Indeed!
Analogue speakers cannot best DSP’s for accuracy based solely on the fact that analogue crossovers introduce distortion that just isnt present with digital crossovers.
However!
What the speaker sounds like and what you like the sound of are very different things. If to you a pair of Wilsons sound better than 8k’s then your money is better spent on what you enjoy rather than what is technically correct.
I’m quite firmly in the Meridian camp, I love the amount of detail, realism and scale that the 5K’s or even the 3100’s can muster.
Wilson do make some fantastic loudspeakers though!
Lounge: DSP33's, MS200, QNAP (Storage and Core), G68D, HD421 Family Room: DSP5000 Kitchen: F80 Portable: Explorer2
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
361
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,184
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|