|
|
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579 Likes: 22
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579 Likes: 22 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 158 Likes: 8
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 158 Likes: 8 |
Hi Asa,
I am also having similar issues with the ID41 in my 818.
Have you managed to resolve the issue?
I think its an issue with the ID41 maintaining connection to 'most' switches.
i have tried 3x different switches and keep getting my MC200 and 818 dropping off from Roon.
After reading about a similar issue on the Roon forum, direct connection was questioned to rule out any potential issues.
If i connect my 818 directly to my Microsoft Surface i5 laptop (Current Roon Core)via Ethernet to USB converter, it is very stable...with only the MC200 dropping off from Roon. (the MC200 is still connected to a switch down stairs).
The issue with this is, i then have to use the laptop via wi-fi and not ethernet cable.
Also if i go to a dedicated NUC in the future, i'll still have the issue of needing to use a switch either upstairs or downstairs(depending upon where i keep the NUC), hence id like to get this resolved before doing so.
If i add in any switch i have (1xnetgear or 2x other TP-Link) i keep getting drop offs.......i was also getting this with Sooloos at more and more regular intevals.
Does anyone know of a 'cheap' basic switch that they know works?
i can still use the 818 in my music roon connected to my laptop but this still mean having connection issues with my MC200.......which i'd like to use as another endpoint in the lounge.
All other zones/endpoints are very stable, such as Explorer 2 into laptop and Sonos zones.
Whats puzzling is, If i run Meridian Sooloos config(v34), that can show both MC200 and ID41 whilst Roon has issues maintaining connection to either/both.....which leads me to think maybe its a maybe a switch issue and Roon issue?
Appreciate any help/suggestions from anyone
ref switches i have that have issues with maintaining connections: TP-LINK: TL-SF1005D TP-LINK: TL-SG108S Netgear: GS205
Regards
Darren
Music Room: 818v3, DSP8000SE (SpeakerLink cables), iPad control Shunyata Denali Power Distributor, fed by SIgma NR V2 + Sigma digital(818) + 2x Alpha NR(DSP8000SE) Network Acoustics ENO filter + Rubicon Switch(powered by IFI IPower Elite)
Office: Stax SRS2020 via ifi Signature Spare: DSP5200 + MC200
Running Roon Core on SonicTransporter
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19 |
Persevere with the Netgear Switch - should be good unless Netgear have changed their design. Could always rely on the non smart GS10x range.
Reports that some TP-link switches don't play nice with the multicast protocol (I checked one of the tp-link models and confirmed it was broken by design with no workaround) so treat any TP-link switch as suspect for the time being unless it is confirmed as working.
Have you turned off 'core' on the MC200? May be worth trying.
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 158 Likes: 8
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 158 Likes: 8 |
Hi Ian,
I brought the Netgear switch after reading about issues with TP-Link switches.
I moved the Netgear switch downstairs, connecting from Sky router to this switch.
MC200 (with core turned off) is connected to this switch.
I also have an Ethernet cable running from the top floor (music room) which I have connected directly to the 818 to try out (this normally connects to a second switch) which then connects directly into the same Netgear switch as MC200.
I am still getting issues with just a Netgear switch.
Music Room: 818v3, DSP8000SE (SpeakerLink cables), iPad control Shunyata Denali Power Distributor, fed by SIgma NR V2 + Sigma digital(818) + 2x Alpha NR(DSP8000SE) Network Acoustics ENO filter + Rubicon Switch(powered by IFI IPower Elite)
Office: Stax SRS2020 via ifi Signature Spare: DSP5200 + MC200
Running Roon Core on SonicTransporter
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 322 Likes: 9
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 322 Likes: 9 |
Can you check whether your devices are always being allocated the same IP address or whether there is some movement care of DHCP? You can either do this by logging into your router or by using FING.
A long time ago I did find some instability in the handling of multicast packets on my network despite setting all appropriate parameters in my Netgear Smart switch and making address reservations in the router. Although in theory I should not have needed to do so, I then set a permanent IP address for my MC200 and Roon ROCK (NUC) and have never had issues since.
So step 1, check what IP addresses are being allocated and whether they are changing at all. Step 2 use reserved addresses in your router DNS table. Step 3 set a permanent IP address for key devices. Only do this last step if are comfortable doing so and do keep a record of what addresses you have assigned.
Hope the above helps.
John
808v6, M60, MC200, HD621, Lumagen XE, 504, SB Touch, 563, 201, 204, 208, MPMAX 221, M80, Explorer, Explorer2.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 158 Likes: 8
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 158 Likes: 8 |
Hi JCD,
Thanks for your input.
I have DHCP selected for MC200 and ID41 in Sooloos config, so even letting the router define the IP addresses, they are stable and always remain the same.(I have these noted as Sooloos sometimes prompted for input).
I’m not sure if I dig into making them fixed IP (not something I’ve dug into before) will make any difference if they are already stable?
Music Room: 818v3, DSP8000SE (SpeakerLink cables), iPad control Shunyata Denali Power Distributor, fed by SIgma NR V2 + Sigma digital(818) + 2x Alpha NR(DSP8000SE) Network Acoustics ENO filter + Rubicon Switch(powered by IFI IPower Elite)
Office: Stax SRS2020 via ifi Signature Spare: DSP5200 + MC200
Running Roon Core on SonicTransporter
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 322 Likes: 9
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 322 Likes: 9 |
If the addresses are always the same and stable, you are probably good in this regard. If I remember correctly (it was along time ago), once using a fixed IP address for the MC200, I hard coded the IP address within the Sooloos App in order to avoid the occasional request for input from the Sooloos App.
In my case with so many devices in my network care of the whole family, I just find it convenient to lock down key devices like switches, printers, main computer etc so as to avoid potential clashes as the address space gets consumed.
As above, if your addresses are constant and not varying, I don't believe that you would see any further benefit in allocating fixed IP addresses.
John
808v6, M60, MC200, HD621, Lumagen XE, 504, SB Touch, 563, 201, 204, 208, MPMAX 221, M80, Explorer, Explorer2.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19 |
If i connect my 818 directly to my Microsoft Surface i5 laptop (Current Roon Core)via Ethernet to USB converter, it is very stable...with only the MC200 dropping off from Roon. (the MC200 is still connected to a switch down stairs). Do you have any device other than the Surface to test core on? I've got a 4GB i5 Surface tablet and dismissed that to run Roon Core right from the beginning (largely RAM size and wifi). I do run it as a remote and never noticed any issue, however that is not streaming audio. I'm not sure that wifi is helping matters here especially if you are using your ISP's hub/router as a wireless access point rather than something like an Apple Airport Extreme. If the issue is confined to MC200 and dropoffs is occasional (>~1 per day) is to temporarily assign the current IP address assigned to the MC200 as a static within the MC200 itself (quick and dirty but should be ok as long as its just for a few days) if you don't know the safe range of static IP addresses to assign. If using DHCP for the MC200, reports (confirmed on mine) that MC200's use to forget their IP address after 24 hours and not successfully renew its lease which could cause problems - I run mine on a static IP addresses and problems went away.
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941 Likes: 9
Knows where his towel is
|
|
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941 Likes: 9 |
Hi Asa,
I am also having similar issues with the ID41 in my 818.
Have you managed to resolve the issue?
I think its an issue with the ID41 maintaining connection to 'most' switches.
i have tried 3x different switches and keep getting my MC200 and 818 dropping off from Roon. I am sorry to hear that you have problems. Unfortunately, I am not going to be of any help here. I currently rely on a USB connection between my NUC and 808. This works very well when the internet connection is working. I have not been able to further explore the ID41 connection, partly because I have not been able to borrow an alternative switch. More fundamental, however, is that I am also having problems with my internet connection. To date I have had two engineers to the house, new connection sockets installed, including the master socket, the router re-set, new firmware uploaded and a new router installed. It has all been repeatedly tested and re-tested. I am awaiting further developments. Until the loss of connection caused by the internet connection is resolved I am not making any further efforts with the ID41. Good luck!
Asa Post
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 158 Likes: 8
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 158 Likes: 8 |
Hi Ian,
I don’t have another ‘decent spec’ machine to try Roon unfortunately.
My laptop is an i5 6300 CPU @2.4GHz-2.5GHz with 8GB Ram.....so I’m pretty sure it’s not the machine.
I’m also only streaming Tidal and not bothered to add my own library, so it’s not heavily loaded.
Scenario 1: Lounge Router to 1st Switch(netgear) which has MC200 Connected
A Single cable runs upto top floor connecting direct to 2nd switch
Music room
818 and laptop connected to 2nd switch
I am getting only 818 and MC200 dropping off Roon every couple of minutes....Sonos play 1 and 5 never fail. If I enable skybox and other devices they all remain stable and they are all using wifi.
(I have kept those off the device list for now so I can see more Easily see what devices keep failing in Roon......and it’s the 818 and MC200 only)
Scenario 2:
Remove 2nd switch from equation and connect 818 direct to switch downstairs. Laptop is then having to use WIFi.
All other devices remain very stable....again they are only using WiFi, 818 and MC200 keep disconnecting from Roon.
Scenario 3:
Remove 2nd switch, so connect 818 direct to laptop via Ethernet to USB adapter. 818 and all others devices are stable and MC200 keeps losing connection from Roon......laptop is connected via WiFi.......but I never get connection issues.
To me, this means it’s a switch issue if 818 works fine with direct connection......or should that be a Meridian issue with certain switches.....which I think is the case if others have no problems.
Problem is, how do I get 818 AND MC200 to BOTH work without a switch? There are 2x floors between them.
Even if bought a NUC I would need 3x Ethernet ports to eradicate the need for a switch And also still have to run a 2nd cable down the cavity.....I’m going to have to use at least 1x switch somewhere and in reality probably need x2.
I may look into getting a Cisco switch that has been suggested and try that downstairs and connect direct For now.
If that works I’ll need a 2nd one for upstairs......seems a bit of a pain to have to buy specific switches to get the Meridian devices to work whilst others are fine only using WiFi
If there is something else I can try let me know
Many Thanks
Music Room: 818v3, DSP8000SE (SpeakerLink cables), iPad control Shunyata Denali Power Distributor, fed by SIgma NR V2 + Sigma digital(818) + 2x Alpha NR(DSP8000SE) Network Acoustics ENO filter + Rubicon Switch(powered by IFI IPower Elite)
Office: Stax SRS2020 via ifi Signature Spare: DSP5200 + MC200
Running Roon Core on SonicTransporter
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19 |
Whats Sonos doing when this all happens? Can you completely remove/turnoff Sonos and still have problems.
With Sonos, it is (use to be) possible to inadvertently create a network loop that can flood the network if there were multiple routes between devices - ie via hardwired and via Sonos mesh. The prevent this, some network devices implement a spanning tree protocol (STP) but not all. I had a set of Netgear routers that did not implement this and caused all sorts of weird and wonderful network problems. Not easy to spot this information, STP often buried in protocols supported section of network kit spec. So I changed switches to a different Netgear (I cant remember if the problem was the plastic switches or the 100Mbs switches), and problem gone. I could have removed Sonos from being hardwired too, but for reasons long forgotten, didn't want to. If you have more than one Sonos device hardwired to the network, this could be causing problems.
Any chance of moving all kit to one location to test? 818, MC200, storage, ISP/router/wireless access point, switch, cables etc. Sounds like you might have more than one problem going on so putting everything together then starting to reassemble one at a time will reduce confusion. I'm struggling to see which bits are common with failures other than MC200.
You also mention Sky. We had Sky as ISP and both their white and black hubs were awful for Sooloos. You need to be 100% sure that you keep anything Sooloos over Wifi related out of any Sky supplied hub. So if you are running a Sky hub and wifi, you are possibly into issues. ie Scenarios 2 & 3.
Please also don't get a smart/managed Cisco switch (or any smart/managed switch for that matter unless you know what you are doing). Its like installing a nuclear reactor as a home power supply. Its complete overkill and going to cause more unknowns than it solves. There are reasons why employers ask for Cisco certification when using Cisco kit.
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814 Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814 Likes: 87 |
I have 5 switches of various brands dotted around the house and don't see any issues like this. So, it is not a general rule about switches being bad.
If ever the Roon core is on wifi (as is sometimes found on a laptop) then that is trouble. Avoid avoid avoid.
Can you confirm the make/model of all switches ? Can you test with MC200 switched OFF completely? Have you just one router dishing out DHCP ?
I am with Ian in that perhaps there are a couple of things happening here.
Laptop - switch - ID41......only this...same room. What happens?
Rgds, Nick
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
151
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,169
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|