logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
I think most people find that putting the Roon core on a suitable machine gives a pretty much bullet proof experience. Running it on anything less is just asking for trouble.

Given the cost of a NUC vs historical cost of Sooloos Hardware cores (just giving the relative sense of affordability) it makes it much of a no-brainier.

I think in hindsight supporting Roon core on NAS units will be viewed as probably a bad idea (given the cost of Other options these days)


Rgds,
Nick


1 member likes this: MJT5282
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
Just to second that Nick, and to give credit where it's absolutely due...

Ratbert got in touch after my post above, and set up ROCK for me on a NUC which I'd bought several months ago, but hadn't yet configured.

Roon has now been running for 5 days straight, not a single drop out or loss of the ID40, every endpoint and remote springs to life immediately, and the whole thing is extremely responsive. A completely different experience from running Roon on an older iMac which was just about wheezing along.

For the first time I'm experiencing Roon as intended, and it's revelatory. And Russ is an absolute Gentleman, giving his time and experience freely (as several of us on the forum have found!) Sincere thanks!

Very Happy Camper!

George

1 member likes this: Ian
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
Excellent news George.

I have run Roon as an Alpha tester on probably 500 alpha builds on laptops, PC's, Synology NAS, and NUC's. I only did my first NUC ROCK install a couple of weekends ago. I'm no dummy but also no expert. Zero knowledge of Linux etc.

I didn't need it. I just followed the idiot's guide to load the Roon s/w onto a USB stick, booted from that stick and about 60s later I had a fully operational Roon core.

If I reboot the NUC it takes about 5-10 seconds to be back up and running.

It's actually very satisfying to do.

You'll be telling me next that the SQ is better I expect wink

Cheers

N

PS.....yes,,,,Ratbert is a gent.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 465
Likes: 14
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 465
Likes: 14
Latest seems to be that defo moving core to iMac rather than QNAP has drastically reduced the drop outs.
Been running on 3 Meridian Zones (2 running at once) and things seem to be broadly stable. Occasionally my iMac with local core will freeze up, but that's more an iMac freezing when full (everything in my house runs on it).
iMac is full SSD and top end so possibly enough processing.

So, putting SSD into QNAP may be an option
iMac continue (compromise known of running on main computer)
Put in dedicated (NUC / Nucleus etc.)

Good learning..... more to come.....


M Customer since 1991...
2 Channel: 818v3 into 8000SE's running Roon on a Nucleus One with QNAP TVS-871-i7-16G 8 Bay NAS
Cinema: 861v8, 2 x M6's, 7200HCSE + DSW
Office: Explorer 2 into Shure SE846's
Kitchen: AD88
Other Stuff: Philips 77" 4k OLED Ambilight TV. Hue Lighting System, ATV 4K & a lot of Apple stuff...
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 206 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,201
Posts297,161
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.065s Queries: 26 (0.029s) Memory: 0.8433 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-04 20:57:22 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS