logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
Sorry, I didn't read the full thread properly when I commented previously. If the Roon core is not having any problems seeing the ID41 in your 818v3 that suggests the problems lies with the ID41 within the 861. Have you tried re-setting the ID41 in the 861 (vague recollection of this causing a problem for some users occasionally)?


Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS
2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1
Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 175
Likes: 2
Ado
Offline
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 175
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by Ado
Many thanks for the range of responses. Life has interrupted further diagnostics. Another HH has kindly reached out via PM to assist me with the network diagnostics. I feel it is worthwhile trying to make it work without having to lift carpets, floor boards and chase cables through walls and then have them repaired and redecorated. That for me work be a costly last resort. I not blaming OEM at this point and I am just objectively trying to solve the issue/change in settings/change in hardware or state of operation in hardware along the way.
So after a long hiatus with a 25m ethernet cable connection to my ID41 card, CV-19 lockdown has induced some home network changes. With 4 people working or at distance education, there were complaints from the restless natives that having to change between different wifi access points across a 3 storey home was "tedious".

In the meantime, Draytek upgraded the firmware of some of their range of routers and access points (e.g. Vigor 2682) to enable Mesh technology and I purchased some new APs (i.e. AP903 and AP802). Although the ease of implementation was, IMHO, a mis-selling claim, I managed to get the Mesh settings up and running - the AP903 which was linked by the ethernet backbone in my home was easy but the AP802 took forever to be discovered. With the AP802 wirelessly connected into the Mesh group, I plugged a cable from it into my 861-ID41 card and power cycled the unit. It did not work. I then looked at the IGMP settings - IGMP Snoopingwas disabled and WMM Capable was disabled. I changed IGMP Snoopingto enabled and power cycled the 861.

IT WORKED - my ID41 was found again by the Roon Server - and 48 hours later - it still appears and long may that last. Roon now sends it to sleep after 15 mins. A small lockdown joy!

@Ratbert many thanks for your kind assistance and thought you would appreciate the feedback.

Have a good weekend!

Last edited by Ado; 2020-05-16 09:27.

Z0: 861v8+ID41+Roon on a QNAP, Naim NAP300, Sonus Faber Amati Anniversario

Z1: Arcam AVR-450, Oppo BDP-103D, SkyQ, Apple TV, Kuro KRP-600A, Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento & Cremona Center M speakers, Martin Logan Descent-i Sub, 2 B&W wall speakers

Z2-6: Roon controlling MC600 Zones into Parasound amps to B&W ceiling speakers
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 465
Likes: 14
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 465
Likes: 14
Afraid I'm not here yet frown

Getting more and more frustrated especially as "all the music continuously going off all the time" is how it translates to the missus. Literally every x mins (not predictable) the music goes off and the Roon app on iPhone / iPad / Mac / PC etc shows "No Audiozone" on the bottom of the screen with a blue button.

I now have no power lines anywhere - a load of Ethernet cables that can't stay here but are for testing all wired.
I also have no routers broadcasting WiFi and therefore no internet throughout the house at the moment.
I have now moved the 861v8 from the 8k's to the Cinema room, and have them connected to the M6's and the 7200HCSE to try get one room working.

Now the 8k's are currently connected to the MS200 (yes I know weird but 818 is still lost in a COVID world and has not made it to Kenya yet.
QNAP have been through rebuilding the NAS
Roon have been all over the Roon app
Meridian have tried the M kit

At the moment it's the first time in 20+ years I would think of getting rid of everything.
An iPhone and a Bluetooth speaker at least gives me music to consistently listen to :-


M Customer since 1991...
2 Channel: 818v3 into 8000SE's running Roon on a Nucleus One with QNAP TVS-871-i7-16G 8 Bay NAS
Cinema: 861v8, 2 x M6's, 7200HCSE + DSW
Office: Explorer 2 into Shure SE846's
Kitchen: AD88
Other Stuff: Philips 77" 4k OLED Ambilight TV. Hue Lighting System, ATV 4K & a lot of Apple stuff...
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
GMT Offline
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
Hi

If you are wi-fi less, it makes sense that Roon doesn't work on the iPad and iPhone. Is your PC wired to the network.

Is there any chance that you have a cable plugging back into a switch or router which is causing a loop. This can cause intermittent issues.
Is the PC able to access the internet when the zones drop? (sorry if you have answered some of these questions already).

Cheers
Tom


Main: G61SL, 218, HD621, 2*7200SE, 7200HCSE, M6s, DSW, Apple TV 4K, NUC (Roon server)
Secondary: Wiim Pro, 3200, Audio Core 200
F80
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
I've been struggling with exactly these symptoms with an 861v4/ID40 since Roon 1.7. Don't think I've made it through a full album before the ID40 is lost, so it's pretty dispiriting.

I've tried simplifying my network, have added a smaller 100Mb switch for the exclusive use of Roon and now wrestling with setting up ROCK on a NUC as my Mac is probably too far behind the curve in terms of spec now.

But musical enjoyment has gone out the window.

I feel your frustration!

George

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
@CMR & @Mr Meridian, I am sure that it's very annoying.

Running Roon core on a QNAP could be an issue if the QNAP is not a powerful spec and/or the library is big meaning a big database to handle. Same could be true of the Mac if it is struggling.

I run various Roon cores on various machines into ID41, MS200's and rPi's (Project DAC and Prime headphone amp). These all go through a myriad of 8, 16 and 32 port switches in the garage and various rooms up and down stairs.

I don't get zone drops on these systems (sorry). I do get iPad zone dropping when I am bluetoothing iPad local zone to an LG Boom. I put that down to the iPad not liking to be receiving and sending wifi signals at the same time rather than Roon.

I mention all this as it logically will boil down to some variable between our systems. The question is exactly what.

@George, no wrestle needed. Putting ROCK on a NUC is about 5 mins. I did my first one at the weekend on a NUC that I fixed up.

I haven't updated the ID41 to the latest f/w though. Maybe that is a factor ?


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 465
Likes: 14
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 465
Likes: 14
So ... thanks to Rathbert and Alex (Visionworks) we seem to be (so far, touch wood) back and running...

I went Occam's Razor and back to minimum setup then bit by bit re-built. A few things along the way...

1. 861 and MS200 needed firmware updates.

2. When putting the D-Link switch back in (yes the Green Ethernet one) I ended up putting the DIM switch back to "Flow Control = ON". I know there is endless debate about Green Ethernet not playing nicely and about a 50/50 split on Flow Control On or Off debates but for the moment it's ON and it's working!

3. Devolo MAGIC 2 all now plugged back in and working. Internet through the house (albeit with bad areas due to bad wiring) but all flowing and nothing (touch wood) dropping out.

Now been operational 15 hours + per day since last Friday and so far (fingers and toes crossed) all working.

Also, the continuous need to reboot and then rebuild the QNAP has also stopped (Check File System not Clean) so weirdly that's all sorted as well.

And now what's most exciting is that my 818v3 and DSW will be finally arriving in Kenya NEXT WEEK!!! Only a year and 3 months after I bought them!!! So then we can do all DSP firmware updates and get the 818 into the 8k's moving the MS200 into the AD88 upstairs smile

:-=)


M Customer since 1991...
2 Channel: 818v3 into 8000SE's running Roon on a Nucleus One with QNAP TVS-871-i7-16G 8 Bay NAS
Cinema: 861v8, 2 x M6's, 7200HCSE + DSW
Office: Explorer 2 into Shure SE846's
Kitchen: AD88
Other Stuff: Philips 77" 4k OLED Ambilight TV. Hue Lighting System, ATV 4K & a lot of Apple stuff...
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 315
Likes: 15
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 315
Likes: 15
You lucky lucky boy!


Main: Marantz SR8015 / Polk Audio Reserve R500 / Bang & Olufsen Beolab 4 / Arendal 1961 1V / Oppo 203 / WiiM Pro Plus / Apple TV 4K

Spare: G68ADV, HD621,DSP5000.2 & DSP5000.2 HC. ATC SCM20PSL, C3C. Rotel RMB-1077. Bang & Olufsen Beolab 1 & Beolab 7.1. Kef Q150. Dynaudio Xeo 2.
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
You'll love the 818v3! I haven't tried the DSW, so interested in your thoughts smile


Prolific music listener / Hi-Fi addict!
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 465
Likes: 14
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 465
Likes: 14
Originally Posted by Alastair
You lucky lucky boy!
I do feel very, very lucky.


M Customer since 1991...
2 Channel: 818v3 into 8000SE's running Roon on a Nucleus One with QNAP TVS-871-i7-16G 8 Bay NAS
Cinema: 861v8, 2 x M6's, 7200HCSE + DSW
Office: Explorer 2 into Shure SE846's
Kitchen: AD88
Other Stuff: Philips 77" 4k OLED Ambilight TV. Hue Lighting System, ATV 4K & a lot of Apple stuff...
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 465
Likes: 14
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 465
Likes: 14
Originally Posted by Jeremy A-H
You'll love the 818v3! I haven't tried the DSW, so interested in your thoughts smile
Yeah I hope my ears work well enough for 818 into 8k's

DSW never had a sub either but hopefully will give the M6's a bit of help in the Cinema room to balance out the 7200HCSE]

Not long now!


M Customer since 1991...
2 Channel: 818v3 into 8000SE's running Roon on a Nucleus One with QNAP TVS-871-i7-16G 8 Bay NAS
Cinema: 861v8, 2 x M6's, 7200HCSE + DSW
Office: Explorer 2 into Shure SE846's
Kitchen: AD88
Other Stuff: Philips 77" 4k OLED Ambilight TV. Hue Lighting System, ATV 4K & a lot of Apple stuff...
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 465
Likes: 14
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 465
Likes: 14
Annoyingly back this weekend after a full week of all being fine, the drop outs started again.

Went to same testing criteria back to basics and now seem to have found the following.

QNAP NAS seems to be the culprit.

iMac core set up, and even with Green Ethernet switch and Dodgy powerlines all working just fine. Only thing out of the mix is currently the NAS - which strangely got a firmware update pushed on Friday (when stopped working).

Anyway will keep running iMac as Roon Core a few more days and see if consistent. Today I'll add back in the QNAP but only as remote content, no Roon Server on there.

Let's see...


M Customer since 1991...
2 Channel: 818v3 into 8000SE's running Roon on a Nucleus One with QNAP TVS-871-i7-16G 8 Bay NAS
Cinema: 861v8, 2 x M6's, 7200HCSE + DSW
Office: Explorer 2 into Shure SE846's
Kitchen: AD88
Other Stuff: Philips 77" 4k OLED Ambilight TV. Hue Lighting System, ATV 4K & a lot of Apple stuff...
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 206 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,201
Posts297,161
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.050s Queries: 39 (0.025s) Memory: 0.8910 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-04 20:58:55 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS