I image if you’ve made the buying decision, you’re going to defend it. Human nature. It’s an awful lot of engineering for a single endpoint if that’s all you’re using.
I recent got a 218 an I’m quite astounded by the performance, significantly exceeded my expectations. I can now see how some people are using this in their 8k SEs.
Out of curiosity, 818 is LPS, 218 SMPS. Did anyone get round to pimping up the PS on the 218? I know you shouldn’t...
Agree that there is a risk of being biased when you have bought some really expensive, however, I had the 818 on trial and tested it extensively comparing to the 218, my MS200 and my G68 - the 818 comes out as the clear winner. Based on that I made my buying decision.
I agree that the 218 is a very good product and much better than most of the DAC's and streamers out there. I recently heard a Hegel DAC and though much more expensive than the 218, Meridian clearly wins.
I agree that having the 818v3 for my use is somewhat overkill since I mostly make use of the ID41 card, however, since you mention it, the PSU may be one of the important differences and then the overall quality of components, build and chassis, calibration etc. The high end M products are unique, the 218 is not real high-end - though still very, very good... I have been really happy with mine and still is, it will be running my 2nd system with my 5200's - which I think I will upgrade to SE's while still possible...