Originally Posted by Akimo
Sorry, but I can't believe that this is about timing. I don't see how the data packets, which are buffered, can impact DAC timing*.
I believe part of the answer is that a varying clock signal introduces varying voltages into the ground (and, quite possibly, the +Ve power) plane. I suspect that the PLL having to continually adjust to keep the lock on this varying frequency is a possible culprit.

Meridian also discovered some time ago that noise entering the 818 through the ethernet cable had a significant impact on sound quality which led, ultimately, to them designing the ID41 to eliminate some of this noise. A more thorough answer is likely to be found within the EtherRegen designer's detailed posts: John Swenson.

Whatever the reasons, on a high-end system, there is a clear difference between different ethernet switches (I can easily hear the difference in the depth of the soundstage between the SotM switch and the second Antipodes CX ethernet output).


Prolific music listener / Hi-Fi addict!