Originally Posted by Akimo
We can assume that a properly healthy ethernet network corrects packet delivery issues, and delivers bit perfect data. Therefore, the only issue I can imagine at stake are timing issues (jitter), and given the huge attention high-quality digital audio companies now pay to minimize all forms of both internally generated and external jitter . . .

How can a router or switch make much difference?

We've seen counterintuitive things in audio turn out to be real in the past, so I'm not denying the possibility, but I can't imagine the mechanism. Any insight would be appreciated.
I can’t fully answer why, other than to say that I believe it’s to do with the clock noise entering the system (and being interpreted as part of the signal). I can say that it makes a difference (assuming a system with enough resolution - or, perhaps, insufficient filtering, I’m not qualified to say which).

I’ll try and post a link to an article from someone that designs such things for a living.


Prolific music listener / Hi-Fi addict!