Originally Posted by 3dit0r
That's unlucky, generally Meridian gear has a very good reputation for reliability.
...
When you say they were on their way out, did you buy new or used?
Perhaps I was unlucky, but it did make things awkward and very frustrating and it's the only hifi I think I've ever bought which has suffered issues like that. Maybe I've been lucky with other brands but everything else I've owned has been broadly fine. yes the stuff I bought was second-hand at the time. as I said, I could barely afford to paddle in the M pool at the time.

Originally Posted by 3dit0r
Yes, if it ain't broke don't fix it is right - where do you go from fundamentally accurate sound?
More accurate sound? Although M stuff is good, I'm not sure we can claim that they perfectly reproduce all audio can we?
Regarding speakers, I bow to your superior knowledge... smile

Originally Posted by 3dit0r
Out of interest, what gives you the impression it doesn't have a future? Until you have 7x DSP8000SE, 861v8, 818v3 and 2x DSW.2, yes, you'd have an upgrade path! I've noticed a rise in second-hand prices recently, so yes, you'll probably sell at less of a loss (if you want to, that is).
Well yes, there's an upgrade path in terms of speakers, though I don't really have the room for floorstanders in my current lounge which limits things severely. but in terms of upgrade path, yes the 861v8 is an upgrade to the g65 in sheer sound quality, but not really in terms of featureset, improvements to MRC, UI, codec's, connectivity etc. and I think there's a reasonable concern that they'll continue to make Meridian surround processors. I know about the 271 and that's both a good and bad thing, it's good that it allows the use of DSP speakers with other processors, but it's bad in that it gives M an option to just give up on processing completely..

Originally Posted by 3dit0r
Meridian's stance on this is they didn't believe in injecting a lot of HDMI 'noise' into an endpoint, so the HD621 was designed.
That answers the question of why the HDMI box is on the outside, but not why it doesn't decode more advanced audio codecs, or any of the other things.

Originally Posted by 3dit0r
Get one, you'll love it! In terms of innovation, the rest of the audio world are only just beginning to catch up with DSP active speakers, etc., and treating them like they're shiny and new. None of us know what innovations Meridian are or aren't working on and that's the same with a great deal of manufacturers of all kinds.

At the end of the day, it's audio - you either love the 'house sound' or you don't - if you do, Meridian still have a fabulous sounding, world-class product lineup, if you don't, that's a different matter, but that was always the case.
10 years ago I certainly liked the house sound and I've not given up yet.

Originally Posted by Big T
I think their sales mechanisms could do with a rethink. I first came across Meridian in a local branch of Sevenoaks and then proceeded to sit around listening to them over the course of many weeks.

Nowadays I haven't seen them at all in most retail outlets.
This is also true. I live in the northwest of England and I think my nearest dealer is Sheffield...



Lounge: LG 55B6v, Some Denon receiver, Anthony Gallo Reference AV mains, Totem Dreamcatcher centre, SVS PC-4000, AppleTV4K
Office: Audioquest Dragonfly, Cyrus 6DAC, Monitor Audio CPW Gold
Headphones: NuForce HDP, Audeze LCD-2, Sennheiser HD6XX, B&O H6mk2