Originally Posted by ncpl
I ultimately went back to 2ch.
I went back to 2ch too.. well, 2.1. My room is a bit small for a full 5.1 system but I do use it to watch films and I find the lack of LFE channel in standard down mixing a bit disappointing. I wonder if I'd like to run a 2.1 system from a surround sound decoder just for the better handling of bass.

Originally Posted by RH83733
What does appear clear is that they have kind of stopped with innovation around the surround processor stuff which is a shame because it would be nice if all the units had upgrades around HDMI, MQA etc. Its funny I see job adverts for the Meridian marketing department and yet beyond a few videos almost no communication comes from then on anything... I think it's a bit of a shame.
Are they doing any innovation anywhere at the moment? genuine question.

Originally Posted by 3dit0r
Reading through the thread, my thought is that many/most of the comments about Meridian 'falling behind' are based on a perceived tick-list on spec sheets and not about how the gear actually sounds, nor it's original intended purpose.
I don't think anyone doubts that M gear sounds good. that's why it's disappointing, if it sounded rubbish we wouldn't care. I still think that of the various systems I've owned, the Meridian system I had with a G68, HD621 and 3 DSP33 speakers (plus analogue surrounds and sub) was the best sounding system I have owned. I'm a digital fan and have no analogue sources (apart from the echo input I have which is the cheapest Spotify connect endpoint you can buy. why they don't have an optical out I'll never understand!). but just sounding good wasn't enough. the system was flakey, prone to failure and I needed to connect a laptop via a USB to rs232 adaptor to make any config changes. It turned out that the comms boards in my DSP33's were on the way out and I think the G68 might have been struggling a bit but at the time, I could only really afford to paddle in the shallow end of the M pool and it had to go.

I think that if I had a G65 and a pair of DSP3200's or 3300's (I'd love 5200's but I've not really got the room) I might do a lot better, and TBH I'm fine with a really good DD or DTS signal coming in via optical from my TV. it'll still sound great. but even though I know it would be a good system, and would suit my immediate need very well, would I spend brand new money on it? well, a few years ago I spent a similar amount of money on a brand new lyngdorf amp instead.

The problem is that I feel Meridian has stagnated. the surround sound amps have barely moved. isn't the G65 still using the same processing chips as the G68 which came out in 2005? I get the "if it ain't broke" philosophy but this is digital electronics. could they really not have found extra use for some more modern processing power? I know they've recently brought out a new subwoofer (is it any different from the old one?) but before that when was their last new speaker? the .2's came out in 2015 didn't they?

This is a factor that puts me off buying new M gear. does it have a future? will it be supported? do I have an upgrade path? am I getting value for money? will I be able to sell this stuff if I decide to go elsewhere? This last one is especially important as if I have M speakers, then I kinda need an M controller.

If I was to buy an M system today, I'd be looking at a minimum of a G65 and a pair of DSP3200's. That's over £6500.. that buys a lot and it probably has significantly more functionality..

Originally Posted by 3dit0r
For film soundtracks, no, a Meridian processor won't decode 7.1 formats, it was never designed to, deliberately
do we know that or do we think it? I'll be honest, I'm not overly convinced. I think they've just not put any significant research money into surround sound in a decade or more. I can potentially understand the argument of putting the HDMI outside (though every other top tier manufacturer somehow manages it) but the fact that they don't decode anything else either is disappointing.

so I do still own some legacy M stuff, and I do keep an eye on their current offerings. I like the idea of having a full M main system again as I like the all digital concept and active DSP speakers and room correction. I even like the G series styling. but I also think I have every right to be disappointed that Meridian don't really appear to be doing anything innovative at the moment. that it's gone from being the market leader to what appears to the untrained eye as sitting on it's laurels and not really investing in new products. As and when I have the kind of money if takes to get into M again I will look and listen but I'd have to convince myself that the speakers are worth the loss in functionality, and I'll be looking and listening to other systems too...


Lounge: LG 55B6v, Some Denon receiver, Anthony Gallo Reference AV mains, Totem Dreamcatcher centre, SVS PC-4000, AppleTV4K
Office: Audioquest Dragonfly, Cyrus 6DAC, Monitor Audio CPW Gold
Headphones: NuForce HDP, Audeze LCD-2, Sennheiser HD6XX, B&O H6mk2