logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 79
Likes: 1
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 79
Likes: 1
Hello All,

I have a C15 connected directly to my Legacy 5200’s. I use this to listen to my loaded CDs and have not figured out Rhapsody or Tidal yet (just got back into Meridian after getting my 5200’s for $1500!!).

I have an AC-12 and want to have the best system I can get. I’m hearing that adding a 218 will make a significant sound difference (reason I purchased the AC-12 due to no SpeakerLink on the 5200’s).

Now I’m hearing that I should go with “Roon?”’

Would a C15, 218, AC-12, and 5200’s work together with Roon, or what??

Even though Meridian as an organization has changed significantly, their equipment at fair used prices is still a great “hobby!”

Cheers Mates - Dr Jones


DSP7200SE / DSP5200 / 861 v4 / 218 / C15 / Oppo 205 / DSP5500 Center Piano Finish
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861
Likes: 375
Meridian Partner
Vogon Civil Servant
Meridian Partner
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861
Likes: 375
Yes the 218 will work with Roon. The C15 will still work as a Roon enpoint but the touchscreen will not display any of the Roon content. There are apps for IOS and Android that will work with Roon to play from your library and steaming services. There are some infrastructure changes such as getting a Roon Nucleus or NUC and doing a native export of your Sooloos library. Contact me if you wish to discuss in detail or would like to see how it works in person.


www.cmbintegrations.com
One step from the Presidency
#1 Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 8000XE, 7200SEHC, 7200.2, Seaton F18, JL Fathom F113, Revel w990's, Kef R7, ATI 528 Amp, JVC RS4100K, SI screen. Roon Nucleus+, Eno AG, Eno M link, 218.
#2 Mark Levinson No5105, Ayre VX8 and CX8, Vandersteen Treo CT, Preamp varies.
#3 Meridian Ellipse
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
With a 218, you don't actually need the AC12 because the 218 has a coax SPDIF output. IIRC, you just need a cheap (Meridian) SpeakerLink to old-style comms dongle. I'm sure a dealer here can confirm.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
I use a SpeakerLink to comms cable to allow integration from 218 to 500 series kit.

There is also digital coax out on the 218 (MHR)?


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
That's fine Chris, but what I'm saying is that there is a cheaper solution which will work with the original 5200 cables. The dongle that Meridian now produce is less expensive than a SpeakerLink breakout cable, AC12, or Reviver.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 79
Likes: 1
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 79
Likes: 1
Well - it looks like my fellow Meridian enthusiasts are STILL very dependable and knowledgeable!!!

I already have the AC12. Purchased it for $250 off an eBay listing where it was originally being sold with a G91A.

Sounds like getting a 218 is a no-brainer? Based upon Meridian dropping everything Sooloos related, I’m looking to simply use my C15, AC12, Legacy 5200’s as a permanent stand- alone system to play my CD collection loaded onto the C15. I have a dedicated iPad that I will not update to make sure I do not run into any issues or software conflicts.

QUESTIONS PLEASE:

1. Getting an 218 will definitely improve my sound quality?

2. How would / could getting Roon play into my system (C15, AC12, 218, 5200’s), can Roon simply become part of my system allowing Tidal and Internet use (after I learn how to use it!)?

3. THIS MAY BE TOO MUCH TO ASK, but:

Does anyone know specifically how to connect the C15, AC12, 218 and the 5200’s (what to what, which cables, etc? An example is that I needed a custom master cable with one end having the slotted socket going into the C15, and the other end being a regular comms pin going into my Master 5200, then a regular slave pin going from Master to Slave 5200. Then the RCA or SPDIF coming from the C15 to the Master digital in and another going from Master digital out to slave digital in.

The AC12 has the same slotted socket for the Meridian main plus a regular pin for the slave. Before purchasing the 218, I just want to make sure everything connects correctly and whether I need another custom cable.

Any guidance would be helpful - if a phone conversation would be easier, please send me a PM and we can arrange it. I’m even willing to pay for someone’s time if needed.


DSP7200SE / DSP5200 / 861 v4 / 218 / C15 / Oppo 205 / DSP5500 Center Piano Finish
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 79
Likes: 1
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 79
Likes: 1
Thanks much


DSP7200SE / DSP5200 / 861 v4 / 218 / C15 / Oppo 205 / DSP5500 Center Piano Finish

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Maz, Stebbo), 164 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,176
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.065s Queries: 29 (0.020s) Memory: 0.8569 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-06 16:07:05 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS