Please re-read what I wrote: it relates to Authentication in a device downstream of the MQA decoder only. Full rendering will occur without any cryptographic link.
Knew I'd regret posting that. It was speculation only on my part.
Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
I had assumed the M devices were not capable of displaying other colours - maybe I'll be in for a pleasant surprise if/when the fix happens. Presumably there must be a standard which also determines whether the decoded and renderable MQA stream is a studio master or not as we have a green and blue distinction now.
Main: MS600, G61R, DSP3100Vx3, DSP33x2, SW1600, Samsung 65JS9500 TV, Sony X800, Wireworld Star*light video cabling, Isotek Vision, Isotek Elite/Prem mains cabling. Office: Roon ROCK on NUC7i5, Allo USBridge + iFi PSU, Prime Amp/PSU, Fostex TH900. On the Go: Surface Pro, Explorer2, Sennheiser Momentum M2 Smyth Realiser2 on pre-order :-)
If the 218 is performing the first decode then there will be a blue or green MQA light on the device to denote an Authenticated MQA stream. If the 218 is not performing the first decode... well, we'll have to wait and see what Meridian comes up with.
Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Aside from the light color glitches mentioned above.
I have to say, with this new 1.5 version, ROON is not not only surpassing Sooloos with its user interface, but also - for us, non SE users - finally with its sound quality by providing high res 24/96 stream out of TIDAL MQA files, whereas Sooloos will lag behind with redbook quality only. It's a huge milestone.
Apologies if I have already missed the answer to this query....
I've just upgraded to Roon 1.5, and gone to listen to one of my favourite MQA albums (streaming from Tidal).
Like lots of Tidal albums, there are 2 seemingly identical versions available on Tidal, with nothing (that I can see) to differentiate them.
Previously, when I played one through my DSP5200SEs, the display read MHR, and when I played the other version, the display read MQA. That was a great reassurance to me...!
Now when I toggle between the 2 available versions, both display MHR on the 5200s.
I suspect this is because the new Roon is doing some decoding somewhere, but how can I be sure I am listening to the MQA version, in the best possible resolution available over my hardware?
Thanks Neil
Main listening room - DSP5200SE Satellite(!) listening room - DSP3200, AC200, 818v3, 500, 504, MC200, Humax Foxsat HDR (for recording radio), Slingbox Solo Townshend Elite Rock Turntable, Nakamichi RX-202E Cassette (for old times' sake)