This could have been mega product if it had Atmos and DTSX processing with extraction of height channels as well as 7.1. Lets hope for upgrade.
I've got a sense of déjà vu with the UHD722, specifically that Meridian never made a Blu-Ray player. I wonder if the new surround formats are too much in terms of development and licensing, or whether the UHD722 is simply a "holding pattern" device.
Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Probably more than a small company is willing to pay, also they need to be able to update when the ‘new’ versions of the codecs are announced, this may just be a firmware change but it may require a hardware change, I would guess LG do more business in a day than Meridian do in a year so they can’t really be compared. I have an LG Atmos capable sound-bar and am a happy customer.
License fees can be substantial. Especially when those fees are major factors when considering whether or not to put an optical port on a component.
Meridian can sell lots of DSP speakers for height channels once the 271 is available.
www.cmbintegrations.com One step from the Presidency #1 Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 8000XE, 7200SEHC, 7200.2, Seaton F18, JL Fathom F113, Revel w990's, Kef R7, ATI 528 Amp, JVC RS4100K, SI screen. Roon Nucleus+, Eno AG, Eno M link, 218. #2 Mark Levinson No5105, Ayre VX8 and CX8, Vandersteen Treo CT, Preamp varies. #3 Meridian Ellipse
Perhaps if they stopped overcharging for hardware and 'intellectual property' for their own customers they could change their business plan . They still pay for THX and are Dolby licensees (TrueHD is based on their own MLP) after all . I've never felt that M were in any way slow to pass on the cost of these things anyway so why have they been so sluggish for the last decade ? And no Bluray player , whatever happened to ' follow the catalogue ' as they have always said ?