|
|
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 33
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 33 |
I'm currently ripping out large numbers of holes in my plasterboard in an attempt to arrange a more permanent install in my media room.
The only practical way to run the line signal to my rear M33's is right alongside some mains power cables, so it'd hum like crazy. Am I right in thinking balanced signal would be fine in this scenario, or is that asking too much?
That gets me to my main question. The 568.2mm only has three balanced outputs - front / centre / rear. Is there any way to persuade a 568.2MM to send the surround channels out of the L/R balanced ports? I think the answer is no, but wanted to double check.
I suppose the other option is to buy an unbalanced / balanced converter box, but it doesn't seem a very elegant solution.
G68J, 3xDSP5200 fronts behind acoustic screen, DSP5000.2 rears, HD621, JVC projector
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19 |
Will the impractical way be easier than the practical way and having to rip out later?
Running signal cables parallel with mains is, even with a small gap, as you probably know, a big no-no. Don't think balanced will be the ultimate solution, especially if its not true balanced. But if that's the way forward for you...
As you feared, you cannot swap 568 balanced fronts to the rear.
Have you thought about changing to a G68XXV or what ever designation the balanced version is?
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13 |
No Hum on my M33’s with cables forced together but not for a long distance.
No 18 in the Hall of fame  I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 363 Likes: 13
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 363 Likes: 13 |
Double shielded coaxial, Chris?
M#1: Bluesound Node (N130)>DSP3100 + Analog Sub M#2: WiiM Pro > DSP5000
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 33
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 33 |
Will the impractical way be easier than the practical way and having to rip out later? Probably, but I'm still in the denial stage! In fact, it would actually make sense to chase an extra run, because I could keep my HDMI run shorter and therefore more 4k friendly. Bugger!
G68J, 3xDSP5200 fronts behind acoustic screen, DSP5000.2 rears, HD621, JVC projector
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13 |
Here is the pic through the wall. A Nordost Blue Heaven cable next to mains. ![[Linked Image]](https://www.meridianunplugged.com/ubbthreads/gallery/16/full/2704.jpg)
No 18 in the Hall of fame  I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 33
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 33 |
Interesting Chris. Are they running together inside the wall too?
G68J, 3xDSP5200 fronts behind acoustic screen, DSP5000.2 rears, HD621, JVC projector
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13 |
Not really. I try to separate them but they are forced together at this point. There are loads of cables behind the false wall. Mains for all my units, signal cable, cat 5e cable HDMI etc. It really is a necessary mess. But I don’t have any mains hum.
No 18 in the Hall of fame  I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone
|
|
|
|
1 members (Richard W),
657
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|