Thank you to all the thoughtful insights in the thread.

My take on the UHD722 is it's not really aimed at many here. It strikes me that Meridian's business case has moved to integration and 2 channel. And the funny thing is - in general I prefer to watch/listen to TV in 2 channel. I really don't care about surround anymore. Though, if I were designing a new room, I would want surround just "because" (as in it would be almost silly not to). But because of that, and because I think Meridian's advantages become more and more apparent with music, this is a sensible move on their part. In my case, my room was designed and setup for movies and the UHD722 doesn't add anything new for me. It would have been nice to have onboard decoding, but it seems Meridian just isn't interested in that sort of thing anymore.

It's disappointing because I remember the Meridian that was really doing so many exciting things, and I really enjoyed that. But, the world changes, and to their credit they have remained in business and support the legacy products we have. So we have to just accept that things change. However, although things do change, I wouldn't want to say Meridian doesn't care - I think they do care. Hence products like the one that lets you connect another surround processor to their speakers.


Best regards,
Jerry
Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.