$750 w/ trade in is already seriously pushing it, given that r&d for this kind of switcher box has been done years upon years ago and the HDMI tech is ubiquitous, while mmhr just can't command the premium it did when the HD621 was released.
just bc you're conditioned to being fleeced, doesn't make it right for every stop-gap product release.
I agree with _M_ With the apparent loss of value in Meridian used kit and lack of any roadmap to let people know if Meridian will even be in the surround processor market in the future, this kind of pricing makes people consider alternative products.
Well if you don’t want the new codecs stick with the HD621.
Personally I sold my Meridian surround setup and went Meridian 2 channel with a view to putting a Japanese surround processor in, however, after a few months of faffing about I realised I didn’t miss the surround at all and just connected the stereo pair to my front speakers admittedly they were DSP8000SE’s. However they have now been sold and for movies I use an LG ‘Atmos’ soundbar which is more than sufficient for my needs YMMV.
Around the back is a hugely impressive selection of ports. You get two HDMI outputs (one 1.4 for audio only and the other 2.0 for video and audio) and a single HDMI 2.0 input with HDCP 2.2, so you can hook up a Chromecast or Amazon Fire Stick to add smart features.
There are optical and coaxial digital audio outputs, a pair of USB 3.0 ports for connecting hard disks and thumb drives and eight phono output ports for surround sound connection to older home theatre receivers.