Yesterday I got a 218 and installed it on my network. Core is Macbook with external HD as storage, remote is an iPad. Modem/router in the cellar and ONE cable to the switch upstairs.
One cable from the switch goes to my Macbook and one to the 218 - that's all. Yesterday everything worked, slow but it worked, have some restarts to do, Roon/Tidal. hanged up.
After closed Roon and the 861 to standby over night, the 218 never appeart on the network.
The IP scanner (on Macbook and iPad) does not find the 218 also my router does not see the 218. Also the web access dont work.
Loading the IP-control app is not possible from the internet as every link say "wrong address". My iPad forces me to search for the app in iTunes, I found no way around. And on iTunes I can't find the app - only books and music.
Switched off the 218, modem, switch and router doesn't help. Also no difference if try the connection over WLAN or LAN.
Is there maybe a reset possible on the 218 or what is wrong?
Now the 218 is directly plugged in the router in the cellar and only one cable go direct in my MacBook, no changed.
Was the 218 new in box or a demo? By default, they are set up for DHCP. If it was a demo, someone may have set it up static. I assume your router is set to hand out DHCP addresses? Have you tried to find it with bonjour or a IP scanning app?
www.cmbintegrations.com One step from the Presidency #1 Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 8000XE, 7200SEHC, 7200.2, Seaton F18, JL Fathom F113, Revel w990's, Kef R7, ATI 528 Amp, JVC RS4100K, SI screen. Roon Nucleus+, Eno AG, Eno M link, 218. #2 Mark Levinson No5105, Ayre VX8 and CX8, Vandersteen Treo CT, Preamp varies. #3 Meridian Ellipse
Thanks for your help here. I now have the "IP Control" app install on my:
iPad and the app is working. The app found the "218 Musikzimmer" (my custom name for the 218) and the serial number one IP address "192.168.1.80". BUT if I try to "connect manually" and enter the IP address manually on the next step fails "error message: "Connection failed..."
iPad and Mac Try to get access over the web browser fails. Scanning with IP scanner fails also with pings.
iPad Manually added a new device on the IP-scanner >> open ports are found 554(rstp), 555(dsf) and 556(remotefs-rts, rsf, Brunhoff remote file system).
Try to access with IP 192.168.1.80:554 fails as 555 - but on 556 I get the message "Not allowed to use restricted network port".
Mac The IP scanner asks for the "hardware address" not MAC address - how can I find it (no sticker anywhere)?
Still the router is in the cellar with one cable upstairs to my MacBook and the 218 is IN the cellar direct plugged in the router.
Either working with LAN or WLAN on MacBook give the same result, also power down MacBook and iPad.
I am not sure how much you now about networks, so sorry if I am asking you to try something obvious:
What is the subnet that your router is using? You can find this from the router or from a connected device. E.g. in your iPhone (or iPad) click on settings and wifi, then the connection name (e.g. sky5555b) The address should be like the 192.168.1.80 except for the last number.
If any of the first 3 numbers are different, then the 218 is on a different subnet which is a problem. (Also, I would expect the iPhone to have a mask of 255.255.255.0)
Let us know if it is different (first 3 numbers not 192.168.1) and we will tell you how to change the 218 to match - probably by changing the computer’s address and then connecting and changing the 218 address.
Peter
Last edited by Mr_Anderson; 2017-09-2919:22.
Meridian 596 DVD for CD Panasonic TV and BluRay Meridian 565 Surround Proc (4.1) Conrad Johnson Power Amp, Avalon Symbols (Front) Rotel Power Amp and Neat Critiques (Rear) REL Sub Thinking about 218
The only other thing that I can think of is a strange cable issue such as a poorly fitting Ethernet plug. Try swapping the computer and the 218. i.e move computer to basement! (I once had a CCTV camera that would only work if I inserted an extension cable between it and the ethernet plug!!!)
Please do the other (above post) check first though.
Peter
Meridian 596 DVD for CD Panasonic TV and BluRay Meridian 565 Surround Proc (4.1) Conrad Johnson Power Amp, Avalon Symbols (Front) Rotel Power Amp and Neat Critiques (Rear) REL Sub Thinking about 218
Thanks to everyone here and with PM that support me Finally it was a combination of bad luck and my "expert" knowledge with PC`s...
1) Bad luck that my modem had a fault and interupt or loose connections with "no logic". After I got a new modem and contact the internet supporter the connection was stable.
2) Next thing is that I couldn't get the "IP Control" app from Meridian as my "apple-id" was denied for some reason and the "IP Control" app is in the category "music" and start allways iTunes where my "apple-id" problem get doubled...
3) Then the "IP-control" app is not in the Austrian store, you have to change the store to Germany for example, but then the login to the apple-id get logged out. But the real reason was here that my iPad did not have the newest software. After doing that, I installed the IP-app, and the app found the address but couldn't make a connection.
4) Calling the internet supporter again as my new modem has three adresses instead of one and only could get acces with a 192... number instead of 10.0 the real expert correct that and give also the 218 a 10... number so I got finally access and the app is working.!!
5) That "accident" happened when I opened the 218 via the webbrowser on the first evening and just when I try to store my setup and changed the 218 to a permanent address for "stability" the data get stored (from the router) and got the 192.. address - thats about that was the expert told me.
6) After I updated the iPad to version 11.01... the Meridian "core control" don't work anymore. Maybe other apps also have problems, I am not in a mood now to test that all.
But, what is most important is that I can listen to music now as also my 800 is dead, where I also "played" a part of that.
Rick, I will and can try out now to check my ID40 again, maybe it isn't broken and it was a similar problem with the 218.
Re iOS 11 I note that latest version of Fing has message that from iOS onward reading of Mac addresses is no longer possible. That may cause a few apps that scan network messages some problem. Certainly with Sooloos, the MAC address was effectively the devices ID.
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
It is also good that the iPad app can find its address even when it is on a different subnet. (It is then a question of changing a PC to the same subnet and entering the 218's address in the browser and changing the 218 back to DHCP)
Many custom install products have an easy way of resetting the network settings to DHCP. This is normally done by pressing a button (possibly during powerup) Unfortunately the 218 has no buttons!!!!!
Peter
Meridian 596 DVD for CD Panasonic TV and BluRay Meridian 565 Surround Proc (4.1) Conrad Johnson Power Amp, Avalon Symbols (Front) Rotel Power Amp and Neat Critiques (Rear) REL Sub Thinking about 218
Many custom install products have an easy way of resetting the network settings to DHCP. This is normally done by pressing a button (possibly during powerup) Unfortunately the 218 has no buttons!!!!!
Peter
This goes for most, indeed as far as I am aware all Meridian network devices.