logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 545
Likes: 23
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 545
Likes: 23
Apparently I must have missed some information regarding the inability of the above set up working. After re-reading all of the post related to by system build and all the other posts that I could find. Is there a firm consensus that this setup will not work?

1. 568.2 set 24/96 Large Front : DSP rear (18bit 5k speaker) = No sound output from rears.

2. 568.2 set 24/96 Large Front : 24/96 rear (18bit 5k speaker) = No sound output from rears.

3. 568.2 set 24/96 Large Front : 24/96 rear (24bit 5k speaker) = Sound from rears.

Unless otherwise advised it looks like I will have to use 24 bit speakers in the rear also.

Almost there!


M2.0>ROON: C15/DSP6K
C2.2>ROON: ALLO DIGIONE/DSP5K+D2500x2
W2.2>ROON: C10/DSP33+D2500
R2.0>ROON R: MiniDSP SHD>SCHIIT Freya+(Forkbeard)>3eAudio A7 Mono>>>Apogee Scintilla

Projects. ROON streamer with serial RS232 volume control
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
HS=N will limit to 41/44/18bit output all around.

If you have more modern fronts, they will up sample in their own right so you wont lose much unless input was 96/24, the generation of DSP5000/33 etc. wont upsample though.

Not a perfect solution, but will restore rear audio on 18bit rears.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,171
Likes: 59
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,171
Likes: 59
I used to run a mix of 24 & 18 bit DSPs with a G91. There was a general consensus that such a mix would result in no sound, but that wasn't my experience. Technically I'm stuck in 1st gear so I can't now remember what my setting were but it is certainly possible to mix them & still get sound.



Cinema: Meridian 271, 3 x DSP640 (behind screen), 4 x DSP320 (in-ceiling), 4 x DSP3100 (surrounds), 2 x AC12 (interface). 2 x Perlisten D12s subs, Lyngdorf MP40 processor. DT 145" 2.35 AT screen. Sony VW870 projector & S-T lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro.
Lounge: Roon, NUC, Kef LS50 Wireless + 2 x REL Gibraltar-2 subs

Meridian owner since 1998
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
HS=N will just not upsample, you need to tell the 568 you have 18bit DSPs.

As I said earlier in the thread, as soon as you put any 18 bit DSPs in the system you are limited to 18bit.

Have you used the config programme to configure?


No Darling, I've had it months!
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Originally Posted by gIzzE
HS=N will just not upsample, you need to tell the 568 you have 18bit DSPs.
That's not quite the whole story setting HS=N will limit the output to standard sampling rate (i.e. never upsampling and downsampling if required).


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
I don't think that is correct each speaker should be set correctly (18bit or 24bit) in the configuration ... and then set HS=N for the all multi-channel pre-sets.

This give the best compromise ... as when using say the Direct preset, which only uses the front left / right these can be feed be fed with 96K.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
I get that, what I meant was, simply setting HS=N will not get your 18 bit speakers working if the 568 is set up for 24 bit speakers.

He needs to make sure the 568 is set to 18 bit output as well.

Actually is this correct?
I know this is what I was told but don't think I ever tried it out myself.


No Darling, I've had it months!
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Interesting, I was told you had to limit the output to 18 bit, but never tried it myself as I always had 24bit rears, I had 18 bit 5000s but by the time I went to set them up I moved the 33s to the rear.

Why are there two threads running asking the same question?

Makes it all very confusing for someone like me, who gets confused easily. laugh


No Darling, I've had it months!
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
18 bits is a misnomer. SPDIF is up to 24 bit irrespective of whether speakers are 18bit or 96/24. With 18bit speakers, its the sample rate that is the limiting factor - 44/48 vs 44/48/88/96 - they will all accept 24 bit but probably ignore some bits.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
IIRC a 518 upped the ante to 22 bit and came close to 96/24 performance on DSP5000 18 bitters.

Hector


AV: Thorens TD160B, SME, ShureV15MK2, 500, 598, 861v4, DSP7200.1, DSP3300HC Samsung UE55, SkyHD.
DINING: MS600, AC200, DSP5200SEUG.
STUDY 504, Roon Nucleus + RevB, 808v6, 5200SE, Mac & PC (Touch Screen), Prime+PS Grado GS1000i
HORIZONTAL: M80, MS200, Red Rose Spirit + Sonus Faber Toys, iPad Mini
A capella to Zydeco
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
518 ups to 24 bit


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 545
Likes: 23
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 545
Likes: 23
Guys thanks very much, for teaching me so much about M Life.


M2.0>ROON: C15/DSP6K
C2.2>ROON: ALLO DIGIONE/DSP5K+D2500x2
W2.2>ROON: C10/DSP33+D2500
R2.0>ROON R: MiniDSP SHD>SCHIIT Freya+(Forkbeard)>3eAudio A7 Mono>>>Apogee Scintilla

Projects. ROON streamer with serial RS232 volume control
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,470 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.085s Queries: 40 (0.055s) Memory: 0.8854 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 00:47:06 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS