logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 545
Likes: 23
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 545
Likes: 23
I have a small 13X20 media room that currently has speakers that are to large (Carver ALS) and overpowering for the room, I also have a 568 and a pair of 18 bit 5KDSP in use in a separate listening area. . My thoughts are to buy three more 5KDSP and use with the 568. The main other reason is that for stereo I find the 568 and 5KDSP quite nice. Thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Carlton

BTW: Glad that the 568 did not sale while I had it listed on eBay


M2.0>ROON: C15/DSP6K
C2.2>ROON: ALLO DIGIONE/DSP5K+D2500x2
W2.2>ROON: C10/DSP33+D2500
R2.0>ROON R: MiniDSP SHD>SCHIIT Freya+(Forkbeard)>3eAudio A7 Mono>>>Apogee Scintilla

Projects. ROON streamer with serial RS232 volume control
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
That will work fine.

You'll probably REALLY want to add a sub. and you might want to get one with it's own room EQ. Or look for a used G6x with Room Correction. They are ridiculously cheap.

Also keep in mind that if you run a mix of 24/96 and 18bit that the system may reduce some speakers that can do 24/96 to 18bit.

Your "over powering" probably means boomy bass that is not room corrected.

It's pretty hard to have speakers too big for a room, as long as the speakers and room are setup correctly. And the equipment is good. The DSP's have a tiny bit of room adjust ment with a very broad brush (Corner, Wall, Free).

You can also play with crossover to a room EQ sub and it handle the room issues. But the 5K's can put out some nice bass so initially set the cross over low and see if you can make that work first. Distributed bass to all the 5K's helps too.

I really really like the Definitive Technology SuperCubes (SC6000). Cost peanuts too, in the scope of "High End Meridian". SC6000 does not have Room EQ but does have something similar to what the 5K's have, manual set desired EQ Curve.

You could try a mix too with your Carvers and cross them over high. But having all matched speakers is a huge plus.

Oh I should have asked, are the Carvers overpowering sound wise or looks/size wise?


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861
Likes: 375
Meridian Partner
Vogon Civil Servant
Meridian Partner
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861
Likes: 375
That should work well in that space. You should also consider a subwoofer.


www.cmbintegrations.com
One step from the Presidency
#1 Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 8000XE, 7200SEHC, 7200.2, Seaton F18, JL Fathom F113, Revel w990's, Kef R7, ATI 528 Amp, JVC RS4100K, SI screen. Roon Nucleus+, Eno AG, Eno M link, 218.
#2 Mark Levinson No5105, Ayre VX8 and CX8, Vandersteen Treo CT, Preamp varies.
#3 Meridian Ellipse
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 545
Likes: 23
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 545
Likes: 23
Yes the Carvers are both visually imposing and by the being dipolar by nature, they are at their best placed well into the room. I do have a couple of rhythmic 15 inch suboower that I could use.


M2.0>ROON: C15/DSP6K
C2.2>ROON: ALLO DIGIONE/DSP5K+D2500x2
W2.2>ROON: C10/DSP33+D2500
R2.0>ROON R: MiniDSP SHD>SCHIIT Freya+(Forkbeard)>3eAudio A7 Mono>>>Apogee Scintilla

Projects. ROON streamer with serial RS232 volume control
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593
Likes: 13
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593
Likes: 13
Hi Carlton.

Up until recently I had a 568.2mm with dsp5k speakers,

Fantastic sounding system! The 568 even in original version is regarded as a fabulous preamp with a very good DAC onboard.

If you already have the 568 I would most certainly be tempted to add a pair of 5ks to it then sit back and enjoy!

Good luck!

Kind regards
David


G65, 210, HD621, DSP5200.2, DSP3300C, DSP3200,

NUC 7i5 Roon Core, Apple TV 4K, Blustream SW41AB-V2, Panasonic TX55fx802, EE8 switch

Multiroom - Ms200, Nile’s ZR4
Bedroom - 251
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 545
Likes: 23
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 545
Likes: 23
Thanks David,

I agree whole heatedly.about the 568 5K combo. That is the reason I am looking to add three more 5ks and install it in my media room.






M2.0>ROON: C15/DSP6K
C2.2>ROON: ALLO DIGIONE/DSP5K+D2500x2
W2.2>ROON: C10/DSP33+D2500
R2.0>ROON R: MiniDSP SHD>SCHIIT Freya+(Forkbeard)>3eAudio A7 Mono>>>Apogee Scintilla

Projects. ROON streamer with serial RS232 volume control
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593
Likes: 13
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593
Likes: 13
Superb!

The restaurant here on the forum is a great place to pick up some pre loved equipment from fellow enthusiasts.

Or friendly dealers for that matter!

I hope it all comes together just as you want!

Kind regards
David


G65, 210, HD621, DSP5200.2, DSP3300C, DSP3200,

NUC 7i5 Roon Core, Apple TV 4K, Blustream SW41AB-V2, Panasonic TX55fx802, EE8 switch

Multiroom - Ms200, Nile’s ZR4
Bedroom - 251
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 545
Likes: 23
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 545
Likes: 23
Thanks for the tip David.


M2.0>ROON: C15/DSP6K
C2.2>ROON: ALLO DIGIONE/DSP5K+D2500x2
W2.2>ROON: C10/DSP33+D2500
R2.0>ROON R: MiniDSP SHD>SCHIIT Freya+(Forkbeard)>3eAudio A7 Mono>>>Apogee Scintilla

Projects. ROON streamer with serial RS232 volume control
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,171
Likes: 59
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,171
Likes: 59
Another option might be to add 3 5000Cs to your system; they really do go for next to nothing & 3 of them shelf mounted might help with bass issues; having them off the floor would help to prevent boom.

I have a soon-to-be unused 5000C that would sell for pennies over here; I might buy a second one and use them as rears in a 7.2 setup.

Just a thought.


Cinema: Meridian 271, 3 x DSP640 (behind screen), 4 x DSP320 (in-ceiling), 4 x DSP3100 (surrounds), 2 x AC12 (interface). 2 x Perlisten D12s subs, Lyngdorf MP40 processor. DT 145" 2.35 AT screen. Sony VW870 projector & S-T lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro.
Lounge: Roon, NUC, Kef LS50 Wireless + 2 x REL Gibraltar-2 subs

Meridian owner since 1998
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 545
Likes: 23
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 545
Likes: 23
I did consider that option for a while but now that I have started to reconfigure in my mind the system I want.

I will acquire three more 5K's and call it a day. It is very appealing visually and sonically to be surrounded by matched outputs. If that makes any $ense.


M2.0>ROON: C15/DSP6K
C2.2>ROON: ALLO DIGIONE/DSP5K+D2500x2
W2.2>ROON: C10/DSP33+D2500
R2.0>ROON R: MiniDSP SHD>SCHIIT Freya+(Forkbeard)>3eAudio A7 Mono>>>Apogee Scintilla

Projects. ROON streamer with serial RS232 volume control
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 545
Likes: 23
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 545
Likes: 23
Just purchased a pair of 5K's off of eBay. They are 24 bit units. Although I was originally looking for 18 bit units to match the 18 bit pair that I own.

With that being said I am now thinking on now using three 24 bit units across the fron and placing the 18 bit units in the rear.

Also I think I read that the 568 does not output 24bit digitally across all channels. If this is correct, which channels do not have the ability to send the 24 bit output.


M2.0>ROON: C15/DSP6K
C2.2>ROON: ALLO DIGIONE/DSP5K+D2500x2
W2.2>ROON: C10/DSP33+D2500
R2.0>ROON R: MiniDSP SHD>SCHIIT Freya+(Forkbeard)>3eAudio A7 Mono>>>Apogee Scintilla

Projects. ROON streamer with serial RS232 volume control
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 352
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 352
Likes: 1
Front channels only.

Lee


1. 568.2mm, M33c, Beolab 6000, Fujitsu Q520 HTPC (Kodi Jarvis), Samsung KS7000 55, Sony BluRay
2. AC200, DSP5200SL, Squeezebox Touch, Rega Planer 2, Ortofon red
3. Lenovo Thinkpad, Prime, Prime Power Supply, Explorer2, Sennheiser HD700 cans, Shure SE425 buds
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 491 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,190
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.063s Queries: 40 (0.040s) Memory: 0.8881 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 08:23:34 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS